Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 23 Oct 18, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post
2littleboys
Imagineer

2littleboys's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Are we doing the right thing...

We go to Florida in 27 weeks. This will be our 4th time however we are taking my parents along with us this time.

My dad has Alzheimer's and his condition is starting to deteriorate slightly. My mum was desperate to go one last holiday with him so we booked for October 19, however we decided to bring it forward 6 months and have changed it to May. Im questioning whether we are doing the right thing taking him though as my mum asked me at the weekend what I thought.

He has a good quality of life, is still mobile, knows who everybody is etc he just struggles with speech and is very slow and quiet but he listens in to our conversations and laughs and chuckles if we are being funny.

We will be staying 4 nights in a Club Room at RPR then 10 nights in a 5 bedroom villa in Highgate Park. I think it could still be a relaxing holiday for my mum and dad, they don't need to do the parks all the time and I really think he will enjoy the villa, he is still a good swimmer and always enjoyed that so I think he will love his own pool.

I would welcome any thoughts and advice.
2littleboys is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 18, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
MINI MOUSE
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Definitely, it’s makibg memories and that’s the most important thing. I’m sure your dad will be fine and just love it
MINI MOUSE is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 18, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
M3ben05
VIP Dibber

You’re absolutely doing the right thing. My grandmother had Alzheimer’s so I’m sadly familiar with the condition and it’s effects.

Think of it this way, young children most likely won’t remember Disney trips but we take them anyway and enjoy watching them live in the moment and enjoy their time right now. I’d like to think the same is true for people with Alzheimer’s. They may not remember but they’re still perfectly capable of enjoying what’s happening right now.

Go and enjoy the time with your father
M3ben05 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 18, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Don't even question yourself - take them and let them enjoy it all, with your help. As the time gets nearer assess if your dear dad may or may not need assistance at departure and arrival airports if yes then request some (wheelchair assistance, seating assistance)
You may well find your dad will love a few park trips as much as the rest of you. You could get wheelchair assistance at the parks if necessary in case he gets tired.
Have a wonderful time all of you, your dad wouldn't to stop any of your going and the thought of him going may well be giving him a big boost to.
Old 23 Oct 18, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
baggies
Very Serious Dibber

baggies's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Do you have travel insurance and are they aware of his condition?

Everyone is different, but my mum had Alzheimers and was fine for a few years and had UK based holidays but her deterioration happened suddenly. Early stages i think she would have enjoyed disney especially with how they deal with guests, but i think she would have struggled with the flight.

For me I would do one or two family UK holidays instead which are less stressful for your Father as well as the rest of the family, memories can be made anywhere you don't need Mickey.
Oct 2005 DLP Newport Bay Hotel
May 2004 i-Drive, Oct 1995 i-Drive
baggies is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 18, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
saratogajan
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

My dad has had Alzheimer’s and vascular dementia for 16 years. My parents went on lots of trips in the early years of his illness but as time went by he became quite upset and confused in different surroundings. He became very distressed at the suggestion of things that originally he would have loved. It can deteriorate at any time but can remain the same for long periods also. I would perhaps be flexible until nearer the time and maybe have a weekend away to see how he is affected by that. Perhaps book something you could add your parents on very close to your holiday? It is a terrible disease and I can’t wait till the day my dad is able to escape this awful thing. My thoughts are with you and I hope you can achieve your wishes.
saratogajan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 18, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Mobile

If you have insurance cover I would go. We went twice with my in laws and the memories were priceless for us all.
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 18, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
sprocket
Imagineer

Yes you are doing the right thing, but make sure you get travel insurance all setup properly and take our an annual policy starting asap rather than a single trip policy.

If he struggles with any queuing, speak to Disney customer service at the park and he should be able to get a 'skip the line' pass for your family.
Aug 2017 - RPR & AKL, Oct 2019 - HRH & BC
Oct 2022 - RPR, Poly & AKL
sprocket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 18, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Being perfectly honest a lot could change between now and May so maybe a final decision will need to be made nearer the time. From the way you describe him at the moment you are doing the right thing for him, your Mum and your family and as long as your expectations are not too high and you pack plently of patience and accept it will be a dfferent type of holiday. With relatives with Dementia it is certainly a case of treasuring the moments while you can becuase things can change quite quickly.

You also have to look very closely at what your Travel Insurance will cover but my DM went on the basis if they had to cancel a holiday before they went they would suffer the loss but that was only the cost of flights to Tenerife so a lot less than the amount involved with Florida.

Hope you manage to get away somewhere and create many more happy memories to look back on.

Edited at 03:23 PM.
Mel49 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 18, 03:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by saratogajan View Post
It is a terrible disease and I can’t wait till the day my dad is able to escape this awful thing. My thoughts are with you and I hope you can achieve your wishes.
I can certainly echo these sentiments as my Dad passed away recently having suffered for many years too and spent the last 2 years in a Nursing Home as he needed care 24/7. We had a humanist ceremony at his funeral and the main thing we emphasised was that he was now free and at peace and we remembered the happy times we spent with him. I was really close to my Dad but people can't understand why I wasn't really upset at his passing but I explained I grieved when he went into full time care and was happy he was released from the final world he was living in.

Sorry "2littleboys" as I know your dear Dad is at the early stage and I really hope you have many more years of happy memories to come.
Mel49 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List