Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 28 Oct 18, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
BONZO
Imagineer

Reef, Rivers and Rainforests – Australia - September/October 2018 - Day 1 - Home to Stockholm

Reef, Rivers and Rainforests – September/October 2018

I won’t go into the reason for the trip/the routing/costs etc – that is all in the pre-trip report but for those who want a quick explanation – it’s a roundabout route to be able to fly business class for a reasonable price; we do a lot of hopping around and a LOT of flights!

For us the journey is as much a part of the holiday as the destination – please feel free to skip over the first few parts of this report if you find it tedious.

Link to trip report index – including pre trip report:
Here

The cast (as usual) is myself and Alison and also as usual this is a joint trip report, mostly consisting of Alison editing out, or in, rather a lot of detail! We write the trip reports for our own benefit mainly (to aid failing memories in years to come) – if anyone else reads and/or enjoys them it’s a bonus.

Day 1 – Saturday 22nd September 2018 (Home to Stockholm)

For once we had a bit of a lie in rather than getting up at the crack of dawn like on previous trips so after a leisurely breakfast we got an uber to the local station and got the train to London, then tube to Paddington arriving at 10.30, nicely timing for the 10:40 Heathrow Express (HEX) for Heathrow airport.

HEX was quite nice and did the job. I’m glad we tried this route but next time I’ll stick to the car and car parking if we can find a deal for long stay, I found it too much faffing around and a little frustrating in places. On the other hand, we’ll try the Elizabeth line when it’s up and running to our neck of the woods, it should’ve been operational by now but there you go.

Once at Heathrow we checked our bags in (we’re not going hand baggage only for once!) and oh the shame, they didn’t tag Alison’s bag as priority luggage. However, I was a bit haphazard with the security. I put all my stuff into the trays and walked off, not realising that I should have pushed the tray forward leaving it for Alison and the staff to deal with. We all had a bit of a laugh about and then settled down for some coffee and pastries in the lounge.

With a bit of time to spare I caught up on my notes and Alison went out to do some shopping and came back with some make up and newspapers and then phoned her mum before we both grabbed a bite of light lunch.

We checked the boarding times and noticed that boarding was called for gate B44 (at the B part of T5) so it was time to leave via the underground walkways, always a nice quite stroll down there.

Boarding was efficient and the flight was actually quite lightly loaded on a Boeing 767 (not long to go until these are all retired – and they are looking a bit scruffy to be honest).

The weather wasn't too good - time to leave the country!

We landed on time, collected our luggage and walked through the airport to the Clarion Hotel, the first hotel of our trip. It was a nice change to have the hotel right onsite at the airport itself. We checked in and looked around the room, it was very modern and looking out over the control tower and airport!

They had thoughtfully provided some in-room binoculars for the airplane geeks amongst us.

We knew that the hotel had a rooftop pool and had assumed that it’d be at the very top of the hotel but no, it was situated on a mezzanine floor, no big deal though. We found it on the lower level and ventured outside from the fitness suite and strangely enough there was no one about. We were initially a bit disappointed as it had a roof covering over it but with a quick heave-ho we managed to open it enough to get in.

We swam for a while, and went back to the changing rooms for a sauna and shower before heading back to the room.

So, next job was to get some food and as we didn’t want to travel into town and search around so we just went back into the airport as they had a selection of places to eat. The airport was spookily quiet, like a ghost town with only a few people around and most of those were cleaners.

Most of the tourist shops were shut and only a couple of restaurants were open, even one we looked at was just about to close for the night so we were left with a choice of McDonald’s or Alfredos, an Italian.

So, Italian it was then!

We ate 1 x Pizza, 1 x Meatballs and 2 beers – total cost £55!

Not cheap but we knew it was quite pricey here and with it being in the airport it’s even more expensive.

We wandered back to the room happy that’s the first leg of the trip done but much more to come, we fell asleep quite quickly.

Transport count (this will be a running total each day!):

Flights: 1
Trains: 2
Tubes: 1
Ubers/Taxis: 1

Step Count: 8148 for the day

Total step count for the trip: 8148

1988 ~ Contemporary ~ Honeymoon
1989 ~ Off site
1994 ~ EuroDisney ~ Santa Fe
1999 ~ Off site
2001 ~ CBR (Aruba) ~ Poly (Tahiti)
2003 ~ WL & HRH
2004 ~ Pop Century, RPH, CSR, PBH, Contemporary
2006 ~ DLP ~ Newport Bay
2007 ~ POR ~ HRH ~ GF
2008 ~ All star sports, BCV, RPH, Vero Beach, VWL
2010 ~ OKW ~ BCV ~ HRH ~POP Century ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL
2013 ~ AKL ~ HRH ~ BCV ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL

Edited at 10:40 PM.
BONZO is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 18, 07:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

A relaxed first day! Great view from the room!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 18, 12:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Andi
VIP Dibber

Great start.

DVC - Animal Kingdom Lodge

International Drive 2002, All Star Movies 2005, Renaissance at Seaworld 2008, Rosen Plaza & POFQ 2010, Saratoga Springs Resort 2012, Hotel New York DLP 2013, Rosen Plaza and Old Key West 2014, AKL, BLT & SSR July 2015, Crowne Plaza NYC, AKL, Cabana Bay, AKL Nov 2017, Crowne Plaza NYC April 2018, Rosen Plaza, AKL and GFV August 2018, Australia Nov 2018, RCI Cruise August 2019, Rosen Plaza, Pop Century August 2022
Andi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 18, 12:07 AM  
Link to this Post
disneyme
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Great start--looking forward to the next installment
disneyme is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List