Old 18 Nov 18, 11:39 PM  
Link to this Post
BONZO
Imagineer

Reefs Rivers & Rainforests - September 2018 - Day 6 - Adelaide to Sydney

Day 6 – Thursday 27th September 2018 – Adelaide to Sydney

Link to trip report index – including pre trip report:
Here

We were up early again today (about 4am for me, but Alison had been up since before 3am)) but never mind, we’ll take the early start and see what places we can find for some breakfast this time round. We sat around in the room, watching the local news stations, drinking coffee and eating TimTams and looking up breakfast places that were open early.

We found Fairweather where they take their coffee very seriously indeed and most importantly, was open early (as it turned out it was really aimed at those heading to work!). As one reviewer on Trip Advisor wrote “It's not often where you go down an alley way and find cafes but luckily Adelaide city is changing that stereotype - thanks to cafes like Fairweather” – couldn’t have put it better myself to be honest.

I ordered a coffee and out it came with no milk, I asked for some but it prompted a short discussion about how that would spoil the taste of the coffee beans – think something similar to the McDonald’s coffee advert where people are having de-constructed coffee.

Actually, I have to admit he was right and the coffee was delicious and I really needed to try and keep awake for a little bit longer. Alison had a latte (which didn’t meet with the barista’s approval!) – and I ate a toasted sandwich while Alison had toast (made from what appeared to be home-made bread) and local jam – all delicious!

We checked out of the room and the concierge staff arranged for a taxi to collect us and take us back to the airport. Once in the taxi the driver once again remained silent throughout the short trip. I may start getting a complex as we’re really not sure if it’s us or normal for the Adelaide drivers to be so silent.

On arrival at the airport we navigated the self-serve ticketing and luggage drop off, really neat system that works well! We located the Qantas lounge and it was HUGE! Only downside was that there was no alcohol before midday (no big deal / bad thing really) but the plus side was that they had a self-serve Panini station! There were long lines of people making ham and cheese toasties – I mean, Paninis

There was also a proper coffee area complete with barista!

We just had a couple of drinks and snacks before boarding was indicated. Boarding was quite smooth despite it being a bit of a free for all with no priority boarding called. We quickly settled down and used the Qantas App for the entertainment system using their wi-fi which worked really well. Alison had a long chat to the lady sitting next to her who had emigrated from Wales in 1960 – her son was a Qantas pilot.

Sydney here we come!

On the flight the meal choices were sandwiches, mini pie selections and soft drinks.

As the trip went on we realised that pies seem to be a big thing in Australia, not really sure why. The short flight quickly passed and soon we were taking in views of the coastline before touching down and disembarked promptly.

We collected our luggage (we are really struggling to remember to do this – we’re so used to travelling hand luggage only!), and bought an Opal card each and loaded $50 on each one after discussion with the staff in the ticket booth. The train journey was quite easy as we’d previously investigated the route before, the only thing was that I nearly got off at the wrong stop! Luckily Alison pulled me back just in time (Alison here: I nearly let him go!)

Anyway, crisis averted and we got out at the correct stop and made our way to the Four Seasons Hotel. I knew that it was located in the heart of Sydney’s Central Business District, near The Rocks and Circular Quay and iconic Sydney Harbour and bridge but didn’t realise just how close it was. We checked in and were handed our room cards in a folder that said 3219 – we were a little disappointed because we wanted to be higher than the 3rd floor. No worries – it turned out to be the 32nd floor!

The 32nd Floor was the lounge level and we’d been upgraded to a partial harbour view room with a view of the Opera House which just blew me away. With my chin on the floor we just stopped and looked at each other in amazement – what a view!

Looking to make the most of our stay we first checked out the lounge area to see what the layout looked like and to take in the harbour view – marvellous! We had a coffee and biscuit then whilst it was still light we took a stroll out to get a feel for our surroundings and local area which had a relaxed and pleasant atmosphere, really liked it, in fact liked it a lot!

We walked along and under the Sydney harbour bridge

before heading back to the hotel to shower and change and then wandered into the lounge for a few drinks and snacks which was to be our dinner. All with an amazing view!

We really needed an early night after an early start

We turned in for the night before 9pm feeling really excited to explore Sydney further tomorrow, it was a great start. I’ll hand over to Alison now as I fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow!

Alison:

Well I was shattered so could barely keep my eyes open. We went to bed really early – about 8.45pm – so I just knew I’d have a lovely long sleep (hahaha!).

Ping – I woke up some time later wide awake. Bloody hell – it was 9.30pm! Only 45 minutes sleep. Grrrr.

Now I can cope on not much sleep, but Shaun – not so much.

So I decided to read for a while but I needed to find somewhere that some light wouldn’t disturb him – so I ended up sitting on the floor in the window with the curtains around me!

The view was stunning!

This is a (dark) picture of me with the opera house behind me!)

I messaged the girls back home and Laura asked if she could call me.

Hmmmm – I didn’t want to wake Shaun, so what to do? Ah ha! The shower cubicle! I crept into the bathroom, closed the door, then stepped into the shower cubicle and closed that door – and then whispered!

She was ringing with good news – she’d just passed her driving test! After a brief chat I headed back to my curtained area with the stunning view and read for ages – finally heading back to bed at about 3am

I needed to get some sleep – the next day we were climbing the Sydney Harbour Bridge and I wanted to be awake for that!

Transport count (this will be a running total!):

Flights: 4
Trains: 5
Trams: 2
Tubes: 1
Ubers/Taxis: 3
Coaches/Buses: 4
Step Count today: 8080
Total step count for the trip: 56873

1988 ~ Contemporary ~ Honeymoon
1989 ~ Off site
1994 ~ EuroDisney ~ Santa Fe
1999 ~ Off site
2001 ~ CBR (Aruba) ~ Poly (Tahiti)
2003 ~ WL & HRH
2004 ~ Pop Century, RPH, CSR, PBH, Contemporary
2006 ~ DLP ~ Newport Bay
2007 ~ POR ~ HRH ~ GF
2008 ~ All star sports, BCV, RPH, Vero Beach, VWL
2010 ~ OKW ~ BCV ~ HRH ~POP Century ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL
2013 ~ AKL ~ HRH ~ BCV ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL

Edited at 05:50 PM.
BONZO is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 18, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

What a stunning view! Such an iconic sight!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 18, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
christybell
Imagineer

Wow...amazing view. Loving your report so far! Looking forward to reading along

July 2009 ASM/TI/Hmew'd Suites
August 2010 OKW/Dibb villa
July2011 OKW/RPR/Cocoa Beach/Dibb Villa
July 2012 RPR/Carnival Destiny/Dibb Villa
July 2013 OKW/Anna Maria Island/Dibb Villa
Nov 2013 Sunset Lakes- my 40th Birthday
April 2014 Cruise and Villa
April 2015 Clearwater/RPR/Dibb Villa
Dec 2015 Dibb Villa to see the Xmas lights
July 2016 RPR/Cruise/Dibb villa
christybell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List