Notices
Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 5 Dec 18, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
HFJohnson
Imagineer

Has anyone made their own Christmas wreath?

I'm thinking this would be a nice project in the run up to Christmas but I've never tried it before. Does anyone have any tips? Some websites recommend a foam base while others use wire bases and moss - is one better/easier than others?
HFJohnson is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 18, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Tigger71
Imagineer

Tigger71's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I have done it - used a wired frame and got some free cutoffs from the lical christmas tree shop. Dried orange slices in the oven and used lits and lots of wire thread and some ribbon to secure it to the frame. Takes a bit of time and patience
Tigger71 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 18, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

Mobile

Yes, well I sort of cheated a bit. Got a wire frame from hobbycraft that was actually pre done with green Christmas tree type foliage. It was only about £5.
I got lights of amazon and put them around. Simple but effective.
LLamb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 18, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Saw one on Kirsties Handmade Christmas on TV last night and it was a wire frame, tinsel wrapped around that, then baubles stuck onto it with a glue gun, actually looked really pretty!

I need to get a wreath holder, to go over our door, if anyone knows a place that sells those cheaply?

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 18, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
olgaandcoda
Imagineer

olgaandcoda's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
[QUOTE=Loopylooloo;13598146]Saw one on Kirsties Handmade Christmas on TV last night and it was a wire frame, tinsel wrapped around that, then baubles stuck onto it with a glue gun, actually looked really pretty!

I need to get a wreath holder, to go over our door, if anyone knows a place that sells those cheaply?[/QUsOTE
Places like B and M normally have them for around a pound. Or try a garden centre.
My wreaths have a loop of string on the back, or wire. Give the option to fix them at different levels on your doors.
I use pre made wire frames, bought online. But you could easily use a wire coat hanger.
Old 6 Dec 18, 12:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

I’ve had a go before. If I have time I’ll try again this year.
I just bought the bits from the local florist and shoved bits and bobs wherever 😬

Edited at 12:33 AM.
Vanillapod is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 18, 11:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Mobile

Today I went to a wreath making event at school. It’s the first time I’ve ever made one and was easier than I thought. I still need to add a bow but they didn’t have gold and I think gold will go better with the wreath rather than red. I found the hardest part was knowing when to stop fiddling with it. I’m happy with it for a first attempt! ☺️
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 18, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
liz-paul
Very Serious Dibber

Made mine today for the first time (my mum used to do them until she moved). I used a base that is lots of twigs in a big hoop with a wire frame inside that (will try to get a picture of an empty base). Don't know where they came from sorry. I cut a couple of branches off a fir tree in the garden and shoved bits into the frame in a roughly circular shape, the bit at the bottom is an artificial Christmas spray from an old decoration of some sort (I have no idea where this came from, the cones were leftover from previous wreaths, the berries are artificial and leftover from a Christmas flower arranging class I did a couple of years ago, I dried the orange slices myself, the star hanging in the middle is an old Christmas decoration.
liz-paul is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 18, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by liz-paul View Post

Made mine today for the first time (my mum used to do them until she moved). I used a base that is lots of twigs in a big hoop with a wire frame inside that (will try to get a picture of an empty base). Don't know where they came from sorry. I cut a couple of branches off a fir tree in the garden and shoved bits into the frame in a roughly circular shape, the bit at the bottom is an artificial Christmas spray from an old decoration of some sort (I have no idea where this came from, the cones were leftover from previous wreaths, the berries are artificial and leftover from a Christmas flower arranging class I did a couple of years ago, I dried the orange slices myself, the star hanging in the middle is an old Christmas decoration.
Thats really pretty! Love it!

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 18, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

Wow these wreaths are lovely, the florist by me was £35 so I wasn't going to pay that for one years use so got a cheap one reduced in Sainsburys but it is nothing as nice as these. Next year I'm going to make my own too.
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List