Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 15 Dec 18, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Day 6 ~ Islands of Adventure, Burger Digs, Royal Pacific Resort and Bubba Gumps ~ 1st November 2018

Find the previous day HERE

So this trip consisted of:

Myself (Kelly) - Chief planner and organiser ... none of the trip would have happened without me

Husband (Chris) - The laid back photographer one ... I guess it wouldn't have happened without him paying for it so I have to give him some recognition there

Caitlin (Turned 12 when we were out there) - total drama llama and pre teen one.

Thomas (9) - the cheeky brain box one.

Noah (5) - the cute one (He was recently diagnosed as autistic, so it was a big challenge for us all to ensure we kept meltdowns to a minimum)

Day 6 ~ Islands of Adventure, Burger Digs, Royal Pacific Resort and Bubba Gumps ~ 1st November 2018

Today the alarm was set for a more reasonable time of 7.30am. Originally I wanted to be at Royal Pacific Resort for 7am, however, we all needed a bit of a lie in. We were all up sorted and at the food court in POR for 8.15am

As we were off to Universal today we didn't take our refillable mugs as we didn't want to cart them about with us. Chris managed to get a photo at one of the food stations. It wasn't too busy this morning.

Chris, Thomas and I had:

Bounty Platter - served with small Mickey-shaped Waffle or Pancakes - $10.69

Caitlin:

Mickey-shaped Waffle -with Fruit Topping, Bacon, and Sausage - $8.79

Noah:

Pancakes - served with Fruit Topping, Bacon and Sausage - $8.79

I had coke, Thomas and Noah had chocolate milk and Chris and Caitlin had orange juice. We all really enjoyed these breakfasts. They were hot and fresh and great portion sizes. We were so impressed with just how much Noah had eaten too! Fab use of QS credits and I honestly wouldn't mind paying OOP for these meals as they're such good value. We took the left over drinks with us to have at Universal.

We were parked up at Royal Pacific Resort by 9.10am which I was pretty pleased with. I went to check in whilst Chris tried to pacify the kid's Caitlin came with me. This took an absolute age ... I have no idea why. Looking at the date stamps on the photo's Chris took the first photo in the resort at 9.18am and the photo of us altogether in the room was at 9.57am! We received our express passes and were told our room was ready if we wanted to head up to it now, so we went and dropped the luggage off.

We decided to walk to Islands of Adventure. It was a lovely little walk that took about 10 minutes. When we arrived I decided to try and upgrade our passes to Annual Passes. I was quoted $65 for preferred pass and $45 for seasonal pass per person. That was upgrading from 3 park 14 day passes to 2 park Annual Passes. They had a special offer on at the time which was 15 months instead of 12 on the Seasonal pass and 18 months instead of 12 on the Preferred pass. I decided to pass this time as I had seen people had been able to upgrade for free. The boys were very fed up by this point and were itching to get into the park.

Today was hard to walk away from the kid's when they were playing up as we all had matching t-shirts on! Damn, who's daft idea was that?!

We headed to Seuss Landing first and did the Cat in The Hat Ride. The kid's enjoyed this especially Noah. The boys seem to enjoy playing with the merchandise in the shop too. I had to bribe him NOT to buy the hat as it wouldn't fit in the case

We went and rode One Fish, Two Fish then headed to Circus McGurkus Cafe Stoo-pendous to get some refillable mugs. These csot around $32 I think. We got 2 to share between us all. As we came out we seen The Grinch stood near the Caro-Seuss-el so we got some photos.

The kid's loved this interaction, especially Thomas ... every time he tried to hug him he'd push him away hence why he did it for the photo haha.

Next we headed round to Thing 1 and Thing 2 and got photo's there too. Thing 1 took a shine to Noah which was lovely.

We were waiting for the Stories You'll Hear show so headed on to The High in the Sky Seuss Trolley Train Ride! as we were still a little early. We went and parked ourselves down waiting for the show. We were the first there. The show was good and the younger 2 sat at the front to watch it.

About half way through the Things came out and sat with the kid's behind the rope. Thing 1 sat next to Noah and cuddled him in and he didn't resist! We were amazed. He sat snuggled into Thing 1 for the rest of the show. All the characters got up dancing and Thing 1 tried to get Noah up to dance but he wouldn't so Thing 1 sat with Noah rocking side to side whilst cuddling him. The video still makes me cry watching it back now.

The characters all finished the show and it was announced they would be out for Meet and Greets, as we'd already done The Grinch and Thing 1 and Thing 2 we headed to Cat in The Hat for Noah. As we went over Thing 1 and Thing 2 were with Cat as well. When it was our turn Noah ran straight over to Thing 1 and literally just collapsed in their arms, I stood there and cried watching him. I could see just how much he had relaxed in their arms and he just stayed there whilst Thing 1 rocked back and forth with him. In the end we had to prompt Noah to stand for a photo. The video to this also makes me cry such amazing memories and such an amazing character interaction. This was definitely our favourite of the holiday and in fact I've just remembered I need to send the cast compliment in still!

I apologise now as it's total photo spam.

Next up we headed to Hogsmede. We went into the Honeydukes. Caitlin bought a chocolate cauldron, Thomas bought a chocolate wand and chocolate frog, Chris and I bought a chocolate frog and bertie bots every flavour beans.

To be continued

caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Dec 18, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Part 2

Continued

Next we headed to the little cart selling Butterbeer, we opted for the drink not the slushy. Now Chris and I have had Butterbeer in the Studios in Watford and we really didn't like it so we weren't expecting much, however, we were pleasantly surprised it was quite nice. This cost $7.50 plus tax.

The queue for Ollivanders wasn't too big so we decided to wait for that. We got stopped just before going in Noah had a silent meltdown as he wanted carrying but both Chris and I were hurting from carrying him, after all he is nearly 6! I'm not sure if it was the heat or tiredness but he just lay on the floor. As he wasn't hurting himself or others we just left him. We think maybe he had become reliant on the pushchair as he always wanted a carry when he wasn't in it!

We were let in after about 15 minutes. We hoped none of the kid's would be choosen as we knew they'd want a wand, Caitlin was down to $70 already! Typically she got choosen This was a great little show and the kid's loved it.

Everyone was taken through to the wand shop and obviously they wanted to buy a wand, especially Caitlin. I made sure she knew if she bought it she would only have $20 left and that we still had the outlets to go to at the weekend and another full week left but she was adamant she wanted one, as was Thomas. I think they ended up costing $56 including tax.

We don't seem to have a picture of Thomas's but he got one too, a different one to Caitlin. After this they wanted to go and practice some spells so we did a few spells around Hogsmede. Noah was starting to get restless so we decided to head to a ride. On the way we seen Triwizard Spirit Rally which we caught the end of.

Thomas and I headed onto Forbidden Journey. I really didn't like this I'd took a Dramamine tablet this morning as I suffer with motion sickness and I know most the rides in Universal are motion simulator type rides. I come off the ride and I was green, I still don't know how I didn't throw up! Thomas loved it and wanted to go straight back on, luckily I could send him on with Chris

When they got off we all headed onto Flight of The Hipogriff. All the kid's loved this. I was still feeling ropey so I really didn't enjoy it. The kid's wanted to go on again so Chris went on again with them whilst I had a seat and tried to pull myself together

Burger Digs

It was almost 2pm now and everyone was so hungry we popped into the nearest food outlet which was Burger Digs in Jurassic Park. We knew we were having a big meal tonight so didn't want too much to eat, plus I was still feeling iffy from 'The Forbidden Journey'.

We opted for:

Bacon Cheeseburger Combo (UD) - $16.49

Chicken Tenders Combo (UD) - $14.49

I expected these to be huge portions like all meals we'd eaten in Disney. Sadly there was hardly any chicken tenders or fries, luckily it was enough for the kid's as they'd previously had sweets from Zonko's in Hogsmede anyway. Chris and I shared the burger and refilled our refillable mugs we'd bought earlier. The kid's also filled up with the milkshakes. The food was ok, nothing special really.

Total cost for this was $33.

I felt a little better after food. We were headed to do the Raptor experience but the queue was huge and no express pass line. I knew there was no chance we'd get Noah to queue for it so we decided to give it a miss.

I noticed a small help desk area where I could enquire about upgrading the passes. The CM at this desk was very blunt. He point blank refused to look at upgrading to a 2 park annual pass from a 3 park pass. He said they could only upgrade to a 3 park annual pass, I couldn't be chewed to argue with him so I just said no thanks and walked away. I figured I still had the rest of today and tomorrow to try and upgrade.

We went on Jurassic Park River Ride where Chris got wrong for using his camera let's just say I had a smug face as I was sick of telling him to stop recording the rides and just enjoy them!

Next we headed to King Kong - Skull Island. I was a bit apprehensive about this one as I thought it would be too scary for Noah but he was adamant he wanted to go on.

I didn't mind this one although I didn't find it a bit too jerky ... no good with all my health problems, I'm too old for it all now!

We now headed round to Toon Lagoon, we intended to ride Bilge Barge Rats and Ripsaw Falls however we didn't realise Noah wasn't tall enough for Ripsaw we decided to skip it in the end. He was tall enough for Bilge Barge Rats so we headed on there. I knew we would get wet but I didn't know exactly how wet we looked like drowned rats much to Caitlin's disgust. Caitlin spent the whole ride crying out and moaning because she was getting wet which made everyone else laugh even more. She was not impressed at all.

As we headed out of Toon Lagoon there was a little area with mini fountains. We spent about 15 minutes here with the boys playing in them, they loved it, meanwhile Caitlin's stood there whinging and moaning that she's wet

Walking into Marvel Super Hero Island I noticed another little guest services booth. I asked about upgrading the passes and this CM said that Seasonal passes would be free and preferred would be $65. I was over the moon so told him to go for it. The Wyndham CM's were entertaining Thomas, chatting away about England and asking him loads of questions he loved it. Chris, Noah and Thomas went on Spiderman whilst me and Caitlin finished the upgrade off. I had my card ready to pay for the $65 upgrade, however, the CM passed me all the passes and a receipt and told me to have a good day. When I looked at the receipt it was -$15.98

So we're now annual pass holders!

We refilled our refillable mugs and headed to the Hulk. Chris went on first with the Express pass then I went on. We both really enjoyed this ride, I remember it from my last trip and it was still just as good. It was now coming up to 5pm so we decided to head back to RPR for showers before our evening meal.

Noah asked us to take a picture of him on the way back

Between the IOA and the room we somehow lost one of the refillable mugs We all got showers and chilled out for a bit. Our trainers were all still soaked from Bilge Barge Rats so Chris stood drying them with a hairdryer

We decided to drive to CityWalk as we were going to head to the outlets after our meal at Bubba Gumps. In hindsight this was bad planning, it was a HHN at US so the queues to get parked were absolutely heaving! It took us about half an hour to get from RPR to CityWalk. We were all losing the will to live by this point. We were all starving too. It was 7.40pm by the time we got parked! We parkedi n Spiderman 455.

We headed straight to Bubba Gumps and used our Landry Card to be seated.

Bubba Gumps

I was really looking forward to this. I've been to the one in London twice, the last time being for my 30th in March and the cocktails were some of the best cocktails we've ever had!

It was here I encountered my first run in with someone ... my friend's were so impressed I managed to get to day 5 before something kicking off

We were told by CM to follow the yellow smiley faces to the server who would seat us. To my right was the shop to my left an open area with a few people standing there. I headed down the ramp following the yellow smiley faces. I then heard;

'EXCUSE ME MA'AM!' I turned around to see a lady looking at me. 'YOUR JUMPING THE QUEUE WE WERE INFRONT OF YOU!'

'This is the queue, not over there!'

'I WAS TALKING TO STAFF TO FIND OUT WHERE TO GO! WHAT A RUDE LADY YOU ARE.'

This was like a red rag to a bull for me. I was the rude one yet she was shouting at me in a restaurant because SHE wasn't in the queue and expected everyone to clearly stand to the side and wait for her to finish. Had she been in front of us this wouldn't have been a problem but she was stood off to the left in a little group chatting.

As it turned out her husband and son were actually in front of us in the queue! I said to Chris all she needed to say was excuse me the rest of my party are there can I join please. I was absolutely fuming. As she stood in front I made sure to speak loudly about how manners cost nothing and how disgustingly rude she was and how she needed to look up the definition of a queue I said it not so many nice words though

When the server came to seat us she asked if everything was ok and I went on a bit of a rant

I told her not really I had just encountered my first rude American and she needed to learn some manners. The poor server didn't know where to look! I apologised to her and told her I was quite shook up over it. She said not to worry and that she was sorry we had encountered that in the restaurant.

She took us to our table and introduced us to our server Mike, who was lovely.

I was so impressed that I actually managed to take photos of the menu here ... it's took till day 5 to manage

About 10 minutes later the rude lady approached our table and apologised. She said she was sorry for snapping earlier and she would like to apologise and gave us a voucher. I told her it was fine and she left. As it happened we couldn't use the voucher as we were using our Landry's $25 welcome discount! Never mind, it's still in my purse for next time.

We both opted for (mine was minus the BBQ sauce):

½ lb. All-American Burgers & Fries - $12.69
Make it a Cheeseburger for $1.00 more
Make it a BBQ Burger with Onion Rings for $2.00 more

Caitlin and Noah:

Choice of entree, with 1 side, 1 drink and jello - $8.49

They both opted for pizza with fruit, not sure what drinks they got.

Thomas opted for:

Kid's grilled cheese, fries and a drink

Looking at the cocktail menu I didn't really fancy anything I think I was just too tired for anything and in pain (the joys of chub rub ) so we all just opted for soft drinks.

The food in here was lovely. The kid's portion sizes were just right but ours were huge, we probably could have shared one! Mine came with the onion rings, however, the server was hot on his heels to sort it. He was a fabulous server, he done a quiz with a couple of tables too, however, it was wasted on us as Chris hasn't see Forrest Gump since he was about 7 and me and the kid's have never seen it at all

Just before we ordered dessert another server came to our table and gave us a Bubba Gump souvenir glass and said her table had requested they give it to us, I can only assume it was from the Americans table, which again was a lovely gesture. I guess she was just having a bad day.

Chris wanted a dessert so he ordered:

Strawberry Shortcake

I have no idea what it's called exactly as I think it was a seasonal special as it's not on the online menu ... trippie fail! I think it was around $9.

This was absolutely huge ... even with the 5 of us we couldn't make a dent in it it was very nice though. It was shortcake biscuits with ice cream, strawberries and strawberry sauce. Chris would order this if we went back again he said.

This was a lovely meal and we'd definitely pay to go back. We had a Landry card each with a $25 welcome bonus on so we opted to split the bill. As we used Landry we were seated straight away and the manager also came to check everything was ok with the meal and to sort our bills out which was a nice touch.

My bill with tip was $9.86, Chris' was $17.53 - so a total of $27.39. Without the Landry card it would have been $77.39 which I don't think was too bad. It was certainly less than our awful meal at TGI's and much better service too.

With tip I paid $17.86 and Chris paid $25.53 leaving a $16 tip, just over 20%. Well worth the money in our opinion, if you get chance to try it, go

I realise that we went to Bubba Gumps and both had burgers I thought Mr Grump would go for shrimp or something as he quite likes that, I'm not too keen on much fish unless it's fish and chips so nothing else really appealed to me sadly.

By now it was 9.25pm, everyone was tired so Chris said about giving the Outlets a miss. I had myself a little strop as I was really suffering with chub rub and didn't have any longer shorts so I wanted to go and try to find some. In the end Chris drove us to the outlets and I ran round quickly trying to find some shorts, it was totally fruitless as I didn't know my way around at all and I couldn't look properly as I kept getting texts from Chris telling me to hurry up everyone was falling asleep

In the end I stomped back to the car short-less. We arrived back at Royal Pacific Resort at 10.15pm and went straight to bed.

Steps: 19,171
Snacks: 0 USED - 119 LEFT
QS Credits:5 USED- 42 LEFT
TS Credits: 0 USED - 50 LEFT

Edited at 04:51 PM.
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 18, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Another great day!

I had a similar run in with a rude American over a queue issue. She was so rude! I was standing in front of the queue here sign and she was 10ft of to one side and insisted I jumped the queue! (I didn’t) anyway long story short I ignored her and went ahead when called to the desk. Normally I’d have backed off and let her go ahead but my Northern lass side kicked in so that didn’t happen! Lol 😂

There’s always one.

Kat
WDW: Onsite: HRH/POFQ - October 2019
WDW: Partner Hotel: Hilton LBV @ DS & RPR - April 2022
DLC: LA - San Fran inc: DLC & Universal - Aug/Sept 2023
Kat11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 18, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
MikeH23
Very Serious Dibber

MikeH23's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Another busy day! good to hear you enjoyed Bubba's once you got seated We were to full for desert when we went but that Strawberry Shortcake looks amazing.
MikeH23 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 18, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
minnie52
Excited about Disney

Another good day (except the rude american!)

The pictures of Noah with Thing 1 are so lovely! What a great character interaction for him - and some lovely memories for you all.

Great work on upgrading to an annual pass - definitely paid to hold out until they quoted a price you were happy with

That pudding at Bubba Gumps looks delicious! xx
minnie52 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 18, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

How lovely for Caitlin to be chosen at Ollivanders, did she buy the wand that chose her? Or did she pick another?

What an awkward experience with the woman at Bubba Gump’s, I suppose it’s nice that she came to apologise but I’d have just found that extremely awkward. I can’t believe you went to Bubba Gump’s and had burgers, that’s so funny.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Dec 18, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Kat11 View Post
Another great day!

I had a similar run in with a rude American over a queue issue. She was so rude! I was standing in front of the queue here sign and she was 10ft of to one side and insisted I jumped the queue! (I didn’t) anyway long story short I ignored her and went ahead when called to the desk. Normally I’d have backed off and let her go ahead but my Northern lass side kicked in so that didn’t happen! Lol 😂

There’s always one.

Kat
I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same one! I was quite reserved in what I was saying to her as I didn't want any altercations ... have to protect my ESTA for next year after all Good lass I don't blame you I'd have done the same, good thing they're only a minority of people isn't it! x

Originally Posted by MikeH23 View Post
Another busy day! good to hear you enjoyed Bubba's once you got seated We were to full for desert when we went but that Strawberry Shortcake looks amazing.
I was very conscious that I had to behave as I wanted to keep my ESTA I literally had one spoonful I was about to pop, Chris and the kid's did well! x

Originally Posted by minnie52 View Post
Another good day (except the rude american!)

The pictures of Noah with Thing 1 are so lovely! What a great character interaction for him - and some lovely memories for you all.

Great work on upgrading to an annual pass - definitely paid to hold out until they quoted a price you were happy with

That pudding at Bubba Gumps looks delicious! xx
It was amazing it really was, I was almost a blubbering mess, fab work by Universal staff.

It did even having Mr Grump whinging and moaning about the time it was taking he soon stopped moaning when I got it all for free x

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
How lovely for Caitlin to be chosen at Ollivanders, did she buy the wand that chose her? Or did she pick another?

What an awkward experience with the woman at Bubba Gump’s, I suppose it’s nice that she came to apologise but I’d have just found that extremely awkward. I can’t believe you went to Bubba Gump’s and had burgers, that’s so funny.
She did, she had a look at others but wanted that one, I can't remember which it is but I'll try and ask her tomorrow and Thomas'.

To be honest I did, I do get people have off days and maybe she was having an off day but I don't take it out on strangers. Manners cost nothing. I had the fish and chips in the London one but I wasn't too keen on them and as I say I don't really like any other fish we just love the atmosphere too and I was looking forward to the cocktails, but it wasn't to be xx
Old 23 Dec 18, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
A pain that the check in process took so long. Still I hope the express passes were worth it in the end.

We didn't spot the characters at universal like you did, you got loads of photos with them and did really well.

I totally agree about the butterbeer at the UK Harry potter studios is not very nice. We were a bit wary of it in uni, but it was lovely! We had the frozen one too, YUMMY!

Kate was chosen in Olivanders too! It was a great little show and it made it really special with her in it! Obviously we had to buy the wand she was paired with it. I've read that they will still work for years...we're planning on taking it with us next summer, to try and do more spells.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 19, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
A pain that the check in process took so long. Still I hope the express passes were worth it in the end.

We didn't spot the characters at universal like you did, you got loads of photos with them and did really well.

I totally agree about the butterbeer at the UK Harry potter studios is not very nice. We were a bit wary of it in uni, but it was lovely! We had the frozen one too, YUMMY!

Kate was chosen in Olivanders too! It was a great little show and it made it really special with her in it! Obviously we had to buy the wand she was paired with it. I've read that they will still work for years...we're planning on taking it with us next summer, to try and do more spells.
I couldn't believe how long it took to be honest! I've said to Chris next time he can drop me off with the bags and he can go park the car hopefully kill an extra 10 minutes!

We only managed the Cat in The Hat ones in IOA but the kid's weren't interested in the superheros and stuff so we didn't really look for them.

It was lovely, I think we'll try the slushy one next time ... WBS needs to take a leaf out of Universal's recipe book.

It's a lovely little show, I honestly didn't expect any of ours to be chosen, but yeah she had to buy it. Thomas had already decided before we went in that he wanted to buy one, once Caitlin was chosen she had to have one too It's a lovely interaction for them isn't it. We were told we can take back in years to come and get it replaced still which is fab! Now to remember to pack them next time haha xx
Old 3 Jan 19, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Cazzius
Apprentice Imagineer

What a good day, even if you began later than planned due to an unreasonably long check in.

The photos with the Seuss characters are so cute.

Well done on the deal for the annual passes, it was worth holding out for the right CM!

The Universal water rides soak you! Poor Caitlin.

I sympathise with the chub rub situation, I suffered a bit after we got drenched on the Ripsaw Falls and then walked round at Universal too. We weren't staying on site so ended up buying new clothes there and going for dinner looking like the gift shop had exploded on us.
I recommend 'Silky Underwear' powder from Lush to help with the chub rub. Not much help if you are soaked head to toe but it was really good on sweaty park days I have my eyes out for longer shorts to take this time too.

What a horrid rude woman in Bubba Gump. Se must have felt bad to give you the voucher and send you the glass. The pudding looks delicious, a shame you were all so full and couldn't finish it.

First Time Floribobs (The Irma Remix) - WDW trip report *Complete*
While The Cat's Away, The Caz Will Play With The Mouse - Solo DLP Trip Report
Cazzius is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List