Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 16 Dec 18, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
BONZO
Imagineer

Reef, Rivers and Rainforests – September/October 2018 - Day 16 - Cairns to Sydney to Adelaide

Day 16 – Sunday 7th October 2018 – Great Barrier Reef

Reef, Rivers and Rainforests – September/October 2018

Link to trip report index – including pre trip report:
Here

So, it’s Sunday and today is the day we start to make our slow move home, no point in rushing these things. We had coffee and muffins on our veranda and listened to the birds squawking before we said our goodbyes and loaded up the car.

We checked out and left ok despite an excursion bus blocking our way initially but it moved off before I had time to exchange strong words. On the way back to the airport we pulled into a petrol station to fill up as we needed to return it full.

On returning to the car hire garage we got chatting to the guy that checked us in and it turned out that his partner lived in Dorking and went to Eastbourne beach on a Bank Holiday weekend! We mentioned that we’d been good renters and filled up but he said, ok, thanks but never a big issue and hardly anyone checks.

Oh well, we checked our luggage in ready for our flight to Adelaide via Sydney and made our way to the lounge which was spacious and corporate as before and I had a couple of pieces of toast and a juice to keep me going until we boarded the plane to Sydney. There was a lovely view of the apron and the countryside beyond.

There was a slight change to the departure time that made it a bit easier to get to the gate in plenty of time. One thing that was odd was that people with or without flying status boarded together but it all seemed to work ok without any fuss.

We settled in on the plane and I have to say that Business Class on this A330-200 was very nice and well fitted out – we looked on slightly enviously! We were handed ipads to watch the in flight entertainment and I settled down and watched a film Game Night, reminded me of Alison’s and I competitive spirit over board games! Alison watched Cabin in the Woods (a bit bizarre she said!)

We had some lovely views as we left.

Food again on the plane, just like before.

As we approached Sydney the weather turned a bit unpleasant.

We touched down at Sydney just before 5pm and outside it was very cold and very wet! A bit of a shock to the system after the hot weather in the North. We waited and waited as it looked like some apprentice air bridge operator was having difficulty in getting things lined up. Oh well, we had time to connect with the next flight.

Back to the lounge for us in the now very familiar surrounds of a Qantas lounge where we spent our time catching up on e-mails with a couple of drinks and snacks.

The flight to Adelaide was slightly delayed (due to the weather and also air traffic control rostering problems!) but nothing significant and we were eventually called to board. We settled into our seats and then the fun began!

A very large Korean tourist group boarded, mainly formed of elderly people who began to find their seats. There was a little commotion / confusion about seat allocation and it transpired that two of the passengers had exactly the same Christian and surname which meant that they had both been issue with the same boarding pass! Luckily the cabin crew sorted things out with the ground crew and all was well – almost.

Then another passenger said he’d left his hat in the lounge so approached the cabin crew to see if he could return but thankfully the answer was no as they prepared the aircraft. It was still foul weather outside.

Neither of us have any notes on the flights so I assume they weren’t exciting at all!

We landed a bit late, and after getting our luggage headed out to the taxi rank to get a cab to our hotel for the night – The Mayfair. It was very central and seemed quite smart but we didn’t take time to look round as it was so late! We just headed to our room, showered and crashed out.

Transport count (running total!):

Flights: 7
Ferries/boats: 5
Trains: 11
Trams: 2
Tubes: 1
Ubers/Taxis: 4
Coaches/Buses/shuttles: 10
Step Count today: 3979
Total step count for the trip: 149426

1988 ~ Contemporary ~ Honeymoon
1989 ~ Off site
1994 ~ EuroDisney ~ Santa Fe
1999 ~ Off site
2001 ~ CBR (Aruba) ~ Poly (Tahiti)
2003 ~ WL & HRH
2004 ~ Pop Century, RPH, CSR, PBH, Contemporary
2006 ~ DLP ~ Newport Bay
2007 ~ POR ~ HRH ~ GF
2008 ~ All star sports, BCV, RPH, Vero Beach, VWL
2010 ~ OKW ~ BCV ~ HRH ~POP Century ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL
2013 ~ AKL ~ HRH ~ BCV ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL

Edited at 11:03 PM.
BONZO is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 18, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

A busy flight day! Looking forward to hearing about Adelaide!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List