Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 23 Dec 18, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

The Spanish Trilogy. Benalmádena Dec 2018. A mad dash to make the flight travel day.

Saturday 15th December
In case you missed the pre trip, its myself Julie and Oh Matt on this trip.

It all started so well, I woke at 7, had a shower and made some breakfast.

We spoke to Dd and said our goodbyes and left for the train station at 8.20, we got a bus as I wanted to pop into Aldi to get some sweets. Arrived at the train station and first leg of the journey, got the first train at 9.20. Arrived at Norwich on time and easily transferred onto the second train to Ely at 10.52. I had a drink and started to read my book, The Baltimore Boys. It’s by the same author of The truth about the Harry Quebert Affair an is about the character Marcus Goldbergs life. (I would highly recommend it.)

When we originally booked the train I told Matt we should get the earlier train in case of any delays but he convinced me all would be ok and not to worry.
As the train approached Ely, we were already late and with only 7 minutes to change I was already starting to panic. Then I had a message from my friend to let me know all trains from Cambridge were cancelled. Full on panic mode now, we got off the train, couldn’t find anyone to ask then got told on the loud speaker to get on the Cambridge train and there would be alternative transport from there. The train was packed with people and cases. It wasn’t a long journey and we got off the train and was told to head towards the exit and that someone would be there to let us know what’s going on. Absolute rubbish! We spoke about getting a taxi but the rank already had a fairly large line, we didn’t realise at this point it was the queue for the replacement taxis.
We hung about, still not finding anyone to help and eventually we worked out where we had to be but the line had already grown so we had to wait. Luckily the line was moving quickly and we got in a taxi at 11.20, our flight was at 1.25.
We shared with 5 others, 2 young lads were very chilled and said they always leave it until the last minute. We had been chatting to the man next to us before, he was just meeting his wife at the airport. And a Chinese couple. I poured my other drink and calmed down a little. Matt sat in the front and the driver told him it happens most weekends!
Traffic wasn’t great getting out of Cambridge but was fine when we hit the duel carriageway.
We arrived at Stansted at 12.15, ran to security which wasn’t too busy and moving quickly. Again luck was on our side as we got straight through. We then collected our pre ordered euros. Matt gave our details while I ran to the toilet and then I took over while Matt went. We were first in line but she only just finished by the time Matt came back, plus we had all €50, not ideal but no time to ask for smaller bills. I had the correct money ready. Next we found out our gate number, which was boarding. We had to use the train to get there, then go on 2 escalators to the gate. Instead of looking which way gate 19 was, we followed the crowd and turned left. I then shouted over to someone to ask where it was, got told it’s at the other end and if it was the Malaga flight to run! Well, run we did and made it. Matt had to sign his passport! We were told the luggage was going in the hold, I couldn’t care less, they could have strapped it to the roof!
We had to wait a few minutes while disabled guests were seated then we quickly found our seats and finally relaxed.
The flight was good, haven’t used easyJet for a few years, staff were friendly and it was the best landing for a long while.
I read while Matt watched Only Fools on the I pad.
We landed on time and our cases were the first out from baggage claim. I had booked a speedy shuttle with hoppa which promises no more than 4 stops. We did have to wait for another couple though which took about 40 minutes. Matt was moaning about this, we just wanted to get to the hotel but I was still relieved we actually got there.
Finally we were on our way and driving to Benalmádena. The roundabouts had little Christmas light displays which were so cute. It’s only a 15 minute transfer.
We were checked in by 6.30. Our room was lovely, it had a king bed then down some steps to a single bed, sofa and desk.

It was a trek to get to it though.

Matt got changed and went to the bar while I unpacked and charged my phone. We had free wi fi throughout the hotel.
We booked all inclusive, it was only £60 more than full board and we knew we would get our money’s worth.
We were given vouchers when we checked in to exchange for a drink, then you take the empty glass up and change back to vouchers when finished. Real glasses as well.
I found Matt watching football on the iPad and the fairly decent sized screen at the bar. Drinks in hand, we helped ourselves to crisps and enjoyed the evening.

We headed to dinner about 8.30. The restaurant is downstairs.
It was a really good selection with chicken kebabs as the carved meat.

I didn’t realise how hungry I was!

We really enjoyed our first meal and in general was impressed by the hotel, MedPlaya Bali. We have stayed at the MedPlaya in Salou which is good, but we both agreed the food and entertainment were slightly better here. As always there are mixed reviews, but we really liked it.
We went back up to the bar and watched the Hollywood show put on by the entertainment staff, they do make an effort.
We were both tired so headed back to the room. We took a couple of bottles of water for the fridge, so nice having a cold drink in the night.
It had been a stressful day and had a few cross words but in the whole I think we were pretty good about it. I do like it when I prove Matt wrong, but would have preferred not to prove my point in those circumstances. It hasn’t put me off using the train again (this was our first time) but I will book the earlier one and relax before the flight next time.

Edited at 10:43 PM.
roxie2001 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Dec 18, 11:56 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Nice to put a face to you Roxie/Julie 😀 I bet it was nice to finally relax at the hotel after your stressful train journey. I always go silly early and end up waiting ages, so I admire Matt for being brave enough to go on the later train but it did seem a bit tight for time with the cancelled train. It’s ok if it all runs to plan but I always imagine there will be cancellations or delays.

The food looked really nice at the hotel too
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 18, 06:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

So glad you made it (or I imagine even crosser words would have been had )

The hotel sounds fab - just what you need for a relaxing break!
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 18, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Nice to put a face to you Roxie/Julie 😀 I bet it was nice to finally relax at the hotel after your stressful train journey. I always go silly early and end up waiting ages, so I admire Matt for being brave enough to go on the later train but it did seem a bit tight for time with the cancelled train. It’s ok if it all runs to plan but I always imagine there will be cancellations or delays.

The food looked really nice at the hotel too
Yes, we have been chatting about universities for so long now!
I used Roxie as my username as Dd was obsessed with it when she was younger, even now Matt calls her Rox sometimes. I keep thinking about changing it, but I feel like I know people on here now.
Matt hates waiting at the airport, but I like to leave extra early. Normally when we drive we can compromise plus we are normally ready earlier than planned so it’s not a problem.
Even if someone told us where to wait at Cambridge we would have been there 20 minutes earlier which would have been fine.

Edited at 12:30 PM.
roxie2001 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 18, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
So glad you made it (or I imagine even crosser words would have been had )

The hotel sounds fab - just what you need for a relaxing break!
It was a relief. I’m sure I would have partly to blame if we missed it as Matt did say about getting in the taxi queue earlier, but I thought it would be a replacement bus and as no one was about to ask or direct us we just had to guess.