Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 29 Dec 18, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

The Spanish Trilogy. Benalmadena December 2018. Travel home, highs/lows/plans for 2019.

Thursday 20th December.

I had set the alarm for 7am, it was a shock to get up at normal time after our late mornings.
I finished the last of the packing then we took our cases to the luggage room and went for breakfast. This was about 7.45, the restaurant was open but doesn’t serve hot food until 8. I got a juice and hot chocolate. Then a little breakfast at 8.

The transfer was picking us up at 8.35 and we were asked to be there 10 minutes before.
We were in reception at 8.15 and the driver was already there. Matt would have liked to leave later, I reminded him of the journey here. He just hates waiting at the airport. The mini bus had one other person and we stopped at one more hotel before driving to the airport.

It took about 15/20 minutes and we got dropped off outside.
Malaga airport is huge. We just went straight through security which wasn’t busy.
We wanted to get Jess and her bf a big milka bar each, 2 for €7. Matt saw some Hugo Boss aftershave for €19.99 so picked that up and I got 3 for 2 gin miniatures for €6.20. We don’t normally bother with duty free but we had plenty of euros left this visit so thought we might as well use them.
We had a drink while we waited.

We walked to the gate, passport control was calm and the machines there were easier to use than Stansted.
The gate was mad. This was the day Gatwick was closed because of drones so a lot of people had changed their flights. People were queuing for Stansted before the Cork flight had gone! I don’t normally queue straight away and not really bothered if our hand luggage cases go in the hold but I was worried it would be busy at Stansted and we would be waiting around so I did join the queue early. It was really confusing as the signs for speedy boarding weren’t out, I ended up in one queue then changed and changed again when the signs came out.
I spoke to a few people that had to change their flights, it sounded stressful for them to arrange alternative transport from Stansted but it seemed that EasyJet were being helpful.
Staff came out while we were lining up and checked our passports and boarding passes, they were checked again at the desk. Most importantly we got our cases on with us.
It took a while to seat everyone, the staff were really friendly and came on the speaker to say they would do everything they could for the passengers supposed to be flying to Gatwick and they would refund any travel to get back there. She then said everyone could go to hers for a cup of tea.
The flight was fine, I finished my book and tried not to cry in public.
Matt had the aisle seat he was up as soon as the seatbelt signs were off and had our cases out. We legged it which involved getting on the train, luckily we were on and off first and passport control was quiet. Matt always has trouble with his passport through the machines and today was no different. I waited for him then we speed marched to the train station. We had an off peak anytime return so we were trying to make the earlier train. It was easy to get to the station and we made the train in plenty of time. It was packed but we found an unreserved seat. We got to Ely on time then had a 10 minute wait for the Norwich train.
The Norwich train was slightly behind schedule, the conductor was lovely and told us to complain but in the end we only waited 20 minutes for the next train to Great Yarmouth.
We jumped in a taxi and got home about 6. Gave Dd a big hug and caught up, sorted out the washing and some dinner.

Lows
The only low was the journey there, although it hasn’t put me off taking the train again we would just leave earlier.

Highs
The weather was brilliant, It was amazing to sunbathe in December.
The hotel was better than we expected, it was on Cardiac Hill but we knew that before we went.
The room was amazing, it was a trek to get there but it was nice to have extra room and a fridge for cold water in the morning. The staff were great and really tried hard to keep guests happy.
Benalmadena was lovely, after hearing negative things from my sister we didn’t know what to expect but we loved it, the other towns nearby which were easy to get to, the marina was beautiful and so much to do there. We didn’t get to visit everywhere we planned to but it in the end it suited us and didn’t feel we missed out on anything.
It was just a lovely holiday.

Plans for 2019
I have a city break planned with friends in February but Matt and I haven’t got anything booked together yet. We really wanted to return to Orlando as Jess has never wanted to return it looked like 2019 could be the year, but
Jess has her A level exams in May and I think the stress will start in the new year, even though she has her place guaranteed she still wants to do well. We don’t fancy summer then we will be dropping her off and letting her settle into uni so we are putting it off until February 2020.
I think it’s going to be another couple of holidays in Spain again and maybe a city break somewhere.

We have really enjoyed all our little breaks there this year. They have been differen and you can avoid the tacky if you want. (We are fine with tacky but I know that puts some people off)
Benidorm was a surprise, we went to see the tv programme sights but it’s so much more than that.
Returning to Salou with Dd was fantastic, it really made our holiday and we have so many memories from it.
Benalmadena was new and blew us away.

Many thanks to everyone reading and commenting, I do appreciate it.

Edited at 06:36 PM.
roxie2001 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 18, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Sounds like a great trip and I’m glad you made it home okay. What’s the book you were reading?
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 18, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by CrispyA View Post
Sounds like a great trip and I’m glad you made it home okay. What’s the book you were reading?
Thank you, it was a brilliant break and a less stressful on the way home.
I was reading The Baltimore Boys by Joel Dicker.
If you have watched or read The truth about the Harry Quebert affair it’s about the character Marcus Goldman and his childhood. I went to library the day before we went and looked for the Harry Quebert book but got that instead. I read it over the holiday and really enjoyed it.
roxie2001 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 18, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Thanks for another interesting report! Glad that you had such a great time!

It will be a strange year for many of us this year - we have no plans for summer as we don’t know yet where DS will be! Enjoy deciding

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 18, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
mobeckwith
Imagineer

great report,i love how you get it done quickly on return x
mobeckwith is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 18, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
Thanks for another interesting report! Glad that you had such a great time!

It will be a strange year for many of us this year - we have no plans for summer as we don’t know yet where DS will be! Enjoy deciding
Thank you.
Matt is looking for flights at the moment, I let him get on with it.
Old 30 Dec 18, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mobeckwith View Post
great report,i love how you get it done quickly on return x
Thank you, my notes aren’t great so like to do it while I can remember
Old 30 Dec 18, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Really enjoyed your report. Definitely will be looking into mini-Spain breaks for DH and me when Georgia goes to uni in September too, your trip has inspired me 😀
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 18, 02:11 AM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Really enjoyed your report. Definitely will be looking into mini-Spain breaks for DH and me when Georgia goes to uni in September too, your trip has inspired me 😀
We are biased, we do love Spain and always had good holidays there.
We are trying to prepare for life after uni lol.

Edited at 01:53 PM.
Old 31 Dec 18, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by roxie2001 View Post
We are biased, we do love Spain and always had good holidays there.
We are trying to prepare for life after uni lol.
We have visited Spanish islands a lot, Balearic mainly plus some of the Canaries, but not so much of mainland Spain just Costa Dorada for PortAventura Park and the beautiful area of Roquetas de Mar. It is somewhere we must see more of. Yes, there are going to be big changes for us too with Georgia at uni, although she is saying she still wants to come on holiday with us whenever she can 😀
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List