Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 8 Jan 19, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post
PhDisney
Gone all Goofy

The First Family Trip - 1st-7th January (Day 3)

Thursday. Day 3. The first full day in the park.

One thing I forgot to mention in Day 2 was the fact that we managed to get an Access Card slot to see Mickey Mouse, my son's absolute favourite character, in the afternoon. He was fine until the moment we entered the building. Instant tantrum. He screamed all the way to the moment we met Mickey, and then... didn't stop. We asked the Cast Member to leave. We felt embarrased, frustrated, and defeated. It was hard to stay calm with him. Meeting Mickey was one of the main reasons we took him, and he screamed and we had to leave.

However - on Day 3, which we move onto now, we booked another time. He started again as we entered the building, but then, when he saw him, a smile. Then a chuckle. Then a giggle. Then beaming smiles. Funny how moments like this make you forget the tantrums 24 hours earlier. Magic.

Day 3 began with breakfast in the Golden Forest Lounge. A decent choice of continental and cooked here, with some lovely pancakes a particular highlight. Well recommended. We also managed to get a photo with Goofy, who was the character visiting the hotel on this morning. I bought a PhotoPass+ in advance, so after scanning my barcode, I had three photos on my phone app within minutes. A great system.

It was a decent enough day for rides, but the park was so busy. For those of you considering the period between Christmas and the kids going back to school as a quieter time to see the Christmas decorations. Don't be fooled. It was at August-style peak crowds when we were there. Only the final day, Sunday 6th January, was any quieter, as many families had already headed home.

Regardless, we managed to squeeze in 8 rides today. My wife, bless her, only went on Small World, Storybook, and Dumbo, as she was so restricted as to what she was allowed on. She kindly let me ride my favourite - Big Thunder Mountain - and I got a Fastpass for Peter Pan to take my son on, but in typical toddler fashion, he fell asleep about 5 minutes before the time expired, so I went on alone.

Sorry for any fans of it out there, by the way, but Le Pays de Contes de Fees must be the worst ride in Disneyland Paris, and I include Autopia in that! It looks so tired, and it's just not very interesting. When Small World is about 2 minutes away, and Pirates the same, it really doesn't work as a boat ride worth visiting, but the queues are always non-existent, so there's always an up side.

There were more giggles on Casey Junior, his first ever roller coaster, and Pirates/Small World continued to be big hits.

There would have been an extra ride - HyperSpace Mountain - but the Earl of Sandwich beef/cheese sandwich I had for my lunch hadn't quite gone down fully, so the FastPass I got was wasted. Only time I've ever used a chicken exit when arriving at the front of the queue. Never mind. My wife had taken the son to Mickey's Philharmagic round the back, but that didn't happen either, as he wanted to run all over the place, and was generally being a monkey, so she had to leave! A bit of a disappointing 30 minute period!

We ate at Captain Jack's on this date, with our Plus dining plan. We both had the Fish Soup starter, the Caribbean Chicken and Prawn main, and a lovely pineapple, bourbon, and shortbread dessert. Excellent food, but the service was a little rude at the end, demanding payment for extra drinks whilst we were still eating our dessert. Took the shine off a little.

After eating, we headed back to Disney Village, and back to the hotel for a bit of an earlier night. A busy, busy day, but one where our son met Mickey and Goofy, so a day full of happy memories.

----

Rides (cumulative total): 10
(M = mum, D = dad, S = son)

Buzz Lightyear: 2 (M, D, S)
It's a Small World: 2 (M, D, S)
Pirates of the Caribbean: 1 (D, S)
Dumbo: 1 (M, D, S)
Le Pays des Contes de Fees: 1 (M, D, S)
Casey Junior: 1 (D, S)
Big Thunder Mountain: 1 (D)
Peter Pan: 1 (D)
PhDisney is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 19, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
DizzyDisneyMum
Excited about Disney

Sounds like a great trip so far. That last photo is so cute!
It's funny that you never know how they're going to react to the characters until they meet them. I'm glad the second try was more successful.
Thanks for posting, looking forward to reading the rest.
DizzyDisneyMum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 19, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
A mixed day. Your little boy is gorgeous btw, shame he had such a bad start with meeting Mickey but made up for it in the end.

I'm really unsure hour our DD will deal with the characters this time. We took her to WDW when she was 3 months & 6 months and she absolutely loved them. Now she is a bit older through I am a bit worried she my be frightened of them, the same was she was by Father Christmas last month

It's a shame your wife didn't get to ride much but at least the atmosphere at Disney / things to look at can keep you entertained if you can't ride.

Note to self ** Don't have an Earl if Sandwich before a big ride **
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 19, 11:59 PM  
Link to this Post
flo-tinka
Apprentice Imagineer

Love the snuggly bedtime pic of your son. Glad he liked meeting the main man second time around
Thanks for sharing
flo-tinka is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 19, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Enchanted
Imagineer

Mobile

Awww...they’re so unreliable aren’t they! Still a really good day with a couple of fab character meets and plenty of rides!
Enchanted is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List