Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Jan 19, 12:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
subscapularis rotator cuff injury

Any one been diagnosed with this? I suffer from psoriatic arthritis and had assumed my shoulder pain was linked. But now the doc thinks the shoulder problem is the above. He’s mentioned pain relief and possibly surgery. It’s become very limiting. Husband has had to help fasten my bra which makes me laugh as 40 years ago he was more interested in undoing it!
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 19, 12:22 AM  
Link to this Post
returnplanning
Imagineer

That's quite a specific diagnosis there, but lots of patients with psoriatic arthritis have tendon problems, although problems with the rotator cuff (the group of tendons around the shoulder, of which subscapularis is just one) is sadly more common with age even in people without previous joint problems.

Have you had any physio?
returnplanning is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 19, 12:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

Not as yet. Doc tried several tests in the surgery (‘Empty can’ and ‘bear hug’!)
The one I just couldn’t do was ‘lift off’ - placing my hand palm up on the small of my back and trying to lift it up - I just couldn’t! I’ve to go back for a scan then we will move
on from there apparently.
It’s just so annoying!

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 19, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
returnplanning
Imagineer

From the clues you have given about your age (40 years with husband etc), then I suspect that surgery is less likely to be helpful (rotator cuff dysfunction is very common, and even if there is a tear, it is unlikely to be able to be repaired), and physio ought to be the first step in any case. It might also be worth talking to your rheumatologist about this.
returnplanning is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 19, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. My Wife slipped and fell in the bath in late 2017 and aggravated an existing shoulder injury.
It became so bad she was crying with the pain. Physio was impossible even though she tried.
In the end and after an X Ray, MRI and Ultrasound she had 3 steroid injections which did very little.
The operation to clean out the whole area and also to remove some bone worked well though.

I also had to help her dress and even wash and do her hair!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 19, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I have had major issues with both rotator cuffs.
I am very active and am in the gym alot.

I have had loads of physio and always do my exercises as I was advised an op would a) not necessarily work and b) definitely end my gym sessions!

So I continue with all my rehab exercises even though for now they're both ok!

O think surgery should always be the last option - especially for shoulders as they are soo complicated to fix.

Good luck but defo find a good physio
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 19, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
As above. What we did was find the best shoulder Consultant who also did NHS work.
Saw him at Spire for all the tests and scans etc then got on his NHS list.

Some say this is exploiting the system. I couldn't care less because it saved the NHS having to do the MRI etc etc..

Edit. All my research showed the Reading Shoulder Unit is the best in the Country.

Edited at 10:05 AM.
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 19, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Trouble3
Apprentice Imagineer

Trouble3's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
You're lucky you have a partner to do up your bra. I live alone and just brushing my hair became an issue.

I've had surgery twice on both shoulders and can tell you that it is the worse pain I have ever had (and I've had 10 surgeries now )... so surgery really should be your last option. Only if you have an MRI that shows a bone spur or massive tear would I go for surgery straight away (both of those just get worse with physio).

Good luck OP.
Old 13 Jan 19, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Trouble3
Apprentice Imagineer

Trouble3's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
As above. What we did was find the best shoulder Consultant who also did NHS work.
Saw him at Spire for all the tests and scans etc then got on his NHS list.

Some say this is exploiting the system. I couldn't care less because it saved the NHS having to do the MRI etc etc..

Edit. All my research showed the Reading Shoulder Unit is the best in the Country.
I had my first 2 shoulder Ops with Prof Levy at Royal Berkshire Hospital (I live in Reading). Thought he was an arrogant (insert not nice word) and no way was I seeing him for my second shoulder years later.

Knew from friends that Harry Brownlow (used to be at Royal Berks) was really good. He still does NHS, but at Circle Hospital in Reading. I "chose" him and got to have my second 2 shoulder ops at Circle Hospital.
Old 13 Jan 19, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Trouble3 View Post
I had my first 2 shoulder Ops with Prof Levy at Royal Berkshire Hospital (I live in Reading). Thought he was an arrogant (insert not nice word) and no way was I seeing him for my second shoulder years later.

Knew from friends that Harry Brownlow (used to be at Royal Berks) was really good. He still does NHS, but at Circle Hospital in Reading. I "chose" him and got to have my second 2 shoulder ops at Circle Hospital.
Yes some of them can be a tad arrogant, maybe the word tad is the understatement of the decade judging by some I have encountered and also our neighbour!
The one my Wife picked was lovely though. Just come back from lecturing in America according to my Chiro who knows him.