Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Jan 19, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Enough is enough - no more takeaways!

Recently I've started having a few more take aways than usual as my son and his girlfriend have a couple a week so I've gone with the flow, but I am seriously no longer eating them as they are in the main rubbish quality and well over priced.

I have tried various takeaways selling Indian, Chinese, Turkish, pizzas etc and I can't recall having one that I thought was really nice and worth the money. I used to get regular nandos deliveries but they have gone downhill and I no longer bother.

I have eaten take aways in peoples houses that they have raved about from their local take aways, and have never been impressed.

So in future everyone in the house can have takeaways but not me. Perhaps I am fussier than most people, but generally the food is precooked (god only knows how long ago it was cooked) and is poor quality.

Am I alone or too fussy?
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

I’m with you MH. The only take away we have is really good fish and chips from a local chippy perhaps once a month.
Being retired does give us a bit more time to cook from scratch which we prefer.

Edited at 01:14 PM.
Omega1 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
Recently I've started having a few more take aways than usual as my son and his girlfriend have a couple a week so I've gone with the flow, but I am seriously no longer eating them as they are in the main rubbish quality and well over priced.

I have tried various takeaways selling Indian, Chinese, Turkish, pizzas etc and I can't recall having one that I thought was really nice and worth the money. I used to get regular nandos deliveries but they have gone downhill and I no longer bother.

I have eaten take aways in peoples houses that they have raved about from their local take aways, and have never been impressed.

So in future everyone in the house can have takeaways but not me. Perhaps I am fussier than most people, but generally the food is precooked (god only knows how long ago it was cooked) and is poor quality.

Am I alone or too fussy?
You are not alone.

When I look down the credit card statement and see how much was spent on junk food in the past couple of months I am shocked. We are going "clean"... no takeaways for a month...
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Have to agree. I actually really dislike takeaway food. Dodgy tummy ( no details lol) Occasionally I will give in to son/ husband and get a Chinese meal but I don’t enjoy it. Didn’t help when I saw in the paper our local Chinese had been given a 1 star rating from the Council !

I would be much more worried if you had gone off takeaway coffee !
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post
JessBlu
Imagineer

Agree, it’s more habit than actually enjoying the food.

We have tried gusto it’s great, you get a recipe card and all the ingredients for the meals, home made meals that are really tasty and healthy, on offer for 4 weeks.

£19 week 1
£33 week 2,3,4
Then you can cancel the subscription straight after.

This price is for 4 meals for 4 people and it’s great quality
goods.

Has knocked takeaway on the head for us.

Kids (8,12) love cooking following the recipes card.

Edited at 02:53 PM.
JessBlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
I’m with you MH. The only take away we have is really good fish and chips from a local chippy perhaps once a month.
Being retired does give us a bit more time to cook from scratch which we prefer.
I don’t really understand why people think takeaways are fast. By the time I have either ordered and collected or waited for it to be delivered I could have made a meal !
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
I don’t really understand why people think takeaways are fast. By the time I have either ordered and collected or waited for it to be delivered I could have made a meal !
but it is less effort for ME... I do all the cooking generally. I don't always want to.

So would say "fast" food is more about giving mum (or dad or whoever does the majority of the cooking) a welcome night off sometimes.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Mobile

Most of the time if my lot want takeaway I just cook for myself , I am really not that keen on them . I remember my lot all had takeaway and I cooked myself a steak with huge salad and my son’s girlfriend said wish I had that now . It is nice every now and then but they are expensive .
Old 19 Jan 19, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

Mobile

We have a nice Indian nearby (and well you can’t beat a fresh deep fried bit of cod from the chippy) but my family usually prefers Chinese, if I’m honest I go with the flow but there are lots of nicer meals I could make with very little effort on my part.
2014 - Rosen Inn International, Hard Rock Hotel, Yacht club and Bay Lake Tower! Mr Bears Grand Adventure, 2015- A sneaky to DLP- Sequoia Lodge, 2016- Another WDW trip... BLT, AKL, HRH and Rosen Inn - Mr Bear takes Boris to WDW, 2022 - Taking the small fry…. Coronado spring addition, 2024 - Riding solo?
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 02:03 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Since I discovered Goldfish Chinese Curry paste I don't need a takeaway
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List