Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Feb 19, 12:34 AM  
Link to this Post
RickT
Imagineer

Travel Agent rip off or shall we say over pricing/full rack price

Travel Agent rip off or shall we shall over pricing or paying a premium for their service.

Like most, im very in touch with online shopping, price comparison's for flights, holidays and generally anything...

Speaking to the mother in law tonight, who i may add bless her is not IT ready we was taking about holidays and her up coming summer trip they book every year with the same local travel agent.

Granted, its a 5* hotel, all inclusive and is pure lux, i found out how much they charge for this service of booking this tour operating holiday as the price has increased another £250 this year... Got talking figures and found out the cost they are paying is £2700 per person for 14 nights all inclusive!

I wont go into details on the hotel, flight company etc as its irrelevant, but if i booked the same trip today, its £1154 cheaper pp online! (6 months away)

Yes, its her money but i don't like to see anyone get overcharged more so family... i have not disclosed how much cheaper i can book it for, but said next year before booking anything, lets spend an evening looking over prices together.

It makes me mad (not tarring all with the same brush i may add) that these independent agents are taking the advantage or shall we say charging full rack price to the older generation who are not internet savvy and solely trust these companies, and used them for years !

Bit of a rant really... but you get my drift...
Las Vegas 18 - Florida 18 -Holland 18 -Bratislava 18 -Florida 17 -Holland 17 -Rhodes 17 - Kos 17 - France 16-Belgium 16-Holland 16-Germany 16-Sopot Poland 15-Kos 15-DLP SQL 15-Hampton Lakes 14-Hamburg 14- Berlin 13-WestRidge Villas 12-Krakow 12-France 11-Turkey 11-Germany 10-Marbella 10-Jamaica 09-Dublin 09-Dublin 08-Paris 08-Zante Villa 08-Egypt 2008-Rhodes 2008-Sweden 08-Norway 08-Rhodes 07- Huatulco Mexico 07-DLP Magic Circus 2007-Dublin 2007-Sweden 07-Greece 06/05/04-Barcelona 04-Rhodes 02

Edited at 06:43 PM.
RickT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 19, 12:59 AM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Can’t you get her to cancel and rebook it for her at a major saving. I’m sure she would forgo her pride and a small cancellation fee for a significant saving.
Old 23 Feb 19, 01:11 AM  
Link to this Post
RickT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
Can’t you get her to cancel and rebook it for her at a major saving. I’m sure she would forgo her pride and a small cancellation fee for a significant saving.
Thought about this long and hard this evening, but its not that simple on this occasion... there's half a dozen of them all booked onto multiple bookings, all paid in full and all of similar position of IT skills etc..

While i would love to get involved, this booking with all rooms next to each other, flying in from different airports and transfers both UK and away would be too complex for me to start wading in at this stage.

My view point is its been going on for years, (group of widows who all go on their senior girl holiday) so i will ensure i prevent the overcharge next time.

Think thats all i can do at this stage really as any element of suggesting changing things will cause panic. (its been booked since last summer.)

But yes... if i could i would be in the agent giving them a roasting... but the price was presented and they agreed their own quotes...

just ≈≈≈≈≈≈es me off.
Las Vegas 18 - Florida 18 -Holland 18 -Bratislava 18 -Florida 17 -Holland 17 -Rhodes 17 - Kos 17 - France 16-Belgium 16-Holland 16-Germany 16-Sopot Poland 15-Kos 15-DLP SQL 15-Hampton Lakes 14-Hamburg 14- Berlin 13-WestRidge Villas 12-Krakow 12-France 11-Turkey 11-Germany 10-Marbella 10-Jamaica 09-Dublin 09-Dublin 08-Paris 08-Zante Villa 08-Egypt 2008-Rhodes 2008-Sweden 08-Norway 08-Rhodes 07- Huatulco Mexico 07-DLP Magic Circus 2007-Dublin 2007-Sweden 07-Greece 06/05/04-Barcelona 04-Rhodes 02

Edited at 01:14 AM.
RickT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 19, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
TerryYa
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I'm a bit in two minds over these sorts of things.

The travel agent has sorted out a holiday that all the people involved are happy with and at a price agreed by all. I'll presume that they've always delivered what they've promised before as your MIL and friend keep coming back.

You've stated that it would be complex to arrange due to different
airports, adjacent rooms etc. This is where the time, contacts and experience of the TA pays off.

I'd want to sort it out DIY and enjoy spending the time looking for the same holiday at much cheaper prices.
Other people prefer to have someone else do the leg work and just enjoy the holiday.

I don't really think it's a top rip off, just paying a premium price for a premium service.
TerryYa is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 19, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Bouncing Tigger
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Prices go up and down so it may have been the same price online at the time your mum in-law booked. Now 2020 is on sale, a lot of 2019 prices have been reduced.

Quality Inn International Oct 97 & Sep 2002
Rosen Inn @ Pointe Orlando Nov 2006
Coco Key Hotel & Water Park Oct 2012
POR Oct 2017 30th anniversary trip
May 2019 POFQ
POFQ again 2022
The best of the best 2023
Bouncing Tigger is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 19, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
keith1973
Imagineer

Originally Posted by TerryYa View Post
I'm a bit in two minds over these sorts of things.

The travel agent has sorted out a holiday that all the people involved are happy with and at a price agreed by all. I'll presume that they've always delivered what they've promised before as your MIL and friend keep coming back.

You've stated that it would be complex to arrange due to different
airports, adjacent rooms etc. This is where the time, contacts and experience of the TA pays off.

I'd want to sort it out DIY and enjoy spending the time looking for the same holiday at much cheaper prices.
Other people prefer to have someone else do the leg work and just enjoy the holiday.

I don't really think it's a top rip off, just paying a premium price for a premium service.
I’d say paying 1500 odd pound more is more than a premium price especially if they are doing that for each booking.
Old 23 Feb 19, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bouncing Tigger View Post
Prices go up and down so it may have been the same price online at the time your mum in-law booked. Now 2020 is on sale, a lot of 2019 prices have been reduced.
You are right it could well be this. I've seen trips to Disney costing 2500 p/pwith virgin hold and then sale comes round and exactly the same trip is 1200

Ultimately in the OP position I'd be miffed that the agent was maybe making a killing, but I'd also be glad my elder relative was getting exactly what they wanted at a price they are comfortable paying. Also knowing that if something goes wrong it's an agent that will get it in the neck and not me...
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 19, 11:08 AM  
Link to this Post
sully301
Imagineer

i try and avoid travel agents as i have found that their terms and conditions are a lot worse for the customer than doing DIY. I also find it more flexible. I know some people feel safer doing this but i would never travel without the back up funds to get myself back home in an emergency anyway.
sully301 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 19, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

Originally Posted by keith1973 View Post
I’d say paying 1500 odd pound more is more than a premium price especially if they are doing that for each booking.
Yes definitely seems to be taking advantage of the more 'vulnerable' members of society who have worked hard for that money.
3disneykids is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 19, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by 3disneykids View Post
Yes definitely seems to be taking advantage of the more 'vulnerable' members of society who have worked hard for that money.
Or maybe as someone else said it was that price when they booked and the price has since gone down . I looked at my prices and they had gone down so it does happen .