Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 22 Apr 19, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
rosiebun3
Apprentice Imagineer

rosiebun3's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Virgin upgrading econmony delight to premium using flying club points.

We have just booked a Holiday with VH but booked economy classic as premium too expensive; as flights not currently available 500 days out.
We have never used our points to upgrade before...
When is a good time to try to ungrade?
How much should we roughly expect to use in points ?
Does it vary depending on how booked up the flight is ?
We have another flight before the newly booked one so should have a reasonable amount of points.
Old 22 Apr 19, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

I think as you have booked with Virgin Holidays you have to go via them in order to try to upgrade not direct with VS
Old 22 Apr 19, 04:50 PM  
Link to this Post
shelle
Apprentice Imagineer

I don't think you can upgrade until about 3 days before your flight when the booking goes from VH to VA. I think it also depends on your fare code as to whether you can upgrade or not. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will give you the details.
shelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
We are flying with VA to Seattle next month and have booked whichever economy has the luggage. However we booked using miles and when I asked if we could upgrade the answer was negative. Not quite the same situation as you so you may be OK.
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
arabella
Serious Dibber

Contact virgin flying club on: anytime 0344 412 2414.

i have been asking this question as i have 17,500 miles and when i booked in the virgin store the assistant was going to use them to take ££ off the holiday

i called the flying club and was told that i could use 15,000 to take £90 of the cost or use 11,200 for one way PE (which i would like on the way home) or 22,400 round trip

however the miles only last 3 years if like me i have had no activity on the card so i am doing all my shopping in tesco to add their voucher to my flying club so my miles stay active

i would call and ask them what you can do as the chap i spoke to was very helpful

2020, couldn't go to go Endless Summer, Universal
arabella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
rosiebun3
Apprentice Imagineer

rosiebun3's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Thanks . I guess I need to wait for flight to be released and then contact flying club.
Old 23 Apr 19, 04:28 AM  
Link to this Post
scotsprincess
Imagineer

scotsprincess's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I booked with virgin holidays and was able to upgrade using miles from economy to premium but they said I had to pay the actual cost of the flight part off then they would issue our tickets then it can be done . I just paid our holiday in full a few months earlier than I needed to.
Hope this helps 😊
Old 23 Apr 19, 07:56 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Yeah was gonna say I got told the same. You have to have paid off holiday or at least the flight part before you can upgrade.
Old 23 Apr 19, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
I think, even if only upgrading by Virgin Miles, there needs to be reward availability on your flight to be able to do it.
Old 23 Apr 19, 01:16 PM  
Link to this Post
scotsprincess
Imagineer

scotsprincess's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Burgmeister View Post
I think, even if only upgrading by Virgin Miles, there needs to be reward availability on your flight to be able to do it.
Yes there still has to be reward availability