Notices

Old 26 Apr 19, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Quebec City: Spring 2019 - Day 7 Musee des Beaux Arts

Another reasonable night sleep. I woke up around 6 AM. I did my homework and then had my usual bagel breakfast and coffee.

I had seen on Google maps that was the top shop in the opposite direction it opens at 8 o'clock. I want to see what possible tarts they had that I could get in for dinner and I chose a potato pie.

I came back to the apartment, got my things ready left for the language school. I picked up a hot chocolate on the way.

I have to say that the first half of the lesson was extremely boring. So boring that even the teacher at one stage seemed to not off. It was on punctuation. The second half was more interesting in that it was at least interactive.

I decided I will go to the fine arts Museum in the afternoon. Again this was a walk up some very steep hills. My calf muscles must be improving on a daily basis with all the hills!

On rue Saint Jean, I saw a restaurant that had fish and chips on the menu. They sounded perfect. The fish was haddock and it was very tasty though the batter was not what I expected. I have to say though that I'm not very keen on this modern practice of putting chips and a metal basket. It's a pain. I just want my chips where I can pick them up easily! I'm not fussy at all!

Rue Saint Jean seem to be the center of high end grocery shops. This one was is the oldest one in Quebec. Inside it was full of wooden shelves and very pretty but to be honest, most of the food seem to be the type of food you could find in most supermarkets.

On the same road was this chocolate shop and museum. The museum wasn't really very interesting – just a room full of chocolate related exhibits. However the smell in here was amazing. It was chocolatey without being too chocolatey.

I bought my mother-in-law some maple syrup chocolates.

All in all, this was a good street to find. It was full of restaurants and shops so was nice for a wander.

The museum is made up of three buildings, inter connected by tunnels.

Having been at the observatory a few days ago, I had a voucher which gave me 20% off the price of entrance. It cost C$16 which I thought was very reasonable especially when compared to the Ilot des Palais earlier in the week.

The first building housed the contemporary art. Some of it was very good...

Some of it was amusing (yes that is a stuffed chimpanzee)...

And others was simply bizarre. As I've mentioned before, I just don't understand artwork like the above. It's three white canvases. While the blurb said that if you looked at it it could make you dizzy and tried to justify it as being artwork, I can confirm that having stared at it it was still just three white canvases.

I loved the chandelier made out of household glassware.

The second building was housed in an old prison. Architecturally it was stunning.

They even had the old cells. This one was no bigger than a single bed. Some were about double the width. Again I loved the vaulted ceiling. Though I'm not sure being imprisoned in there I would have had the same opinion.

There was a café in this part of the museum, so I had a small coffee and a maple syrup cake. As this was a small coffee, I'm not sure what a big coffee would have looked like.

As before, I really liked some exhibits but had raised eyebrows at others. This statue was apparently a fish. Having looked at it for a while, I still struggled to work out how it was a fish.

There were lovely views over the St. Lawrence River towards the southern part of the province. You can tell from the building that it may have been a prison in the past.

The third building was probably my least favorite, though I don't know whether that was because I was getting really tired. This particular installation was truly bizarre!

Having said that, this installation was quite thought-provoking. On the one hand they had a classic paintings of the noblesse. On the other hand, there were caricatures of slaves who had run away. These drawings have been done by different Quebec artists from descriptions in the newspaper reports on their absence. In some respects, it was actually quite sad.

This was probably one of my favorite installations, it's difficult to tell from the picture but it is tripods with cameras on the end. The cameras continually went off making a clicking sound and setting off their flashes. It reminded me of something out of Doctor Who. I don't know why. Having said that, the noise must've driven the employees mad as it continually made a whirling and popping noise.

It took me about 40 minutes to walk back to the apartment. Thankfully it was all downhill. By this stage I was completely exhausted.

The apartment has a washing and drying machine so I took the opportunity to start my washing. At least I'll be going home with virtually no washing to be done.

I had the potato tart for my dinner. When I cut it open it looked really unappetizing because it was simply mashed potato but in fact it was really tasty.

I nipped out to get a bottle of lemonade and then spent the evening relaxing in bed again I think I fell asleep about 9:30 PM.

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 19, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 26 Apr 19 12:42 PM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 19, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

Some interesting pieces of "art", but also some really interesting pieces. A good way to spend your afternoon.
Old 26 Apr 19, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

A chocolate shop is my idea of heaven, I couldn’t have resisted buying there. We love looking around art galleries even though we have no expertise in art at all. We know what we like though, and like you, if we see an exhibit of 3 white canvases then that is what it is - no hidden meaning, just white canvases 😂 There were some very nice exhibits at the gallery though, I love the chandelier. The building itself looks really interesting too.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 19, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

oooo those chocolates! Maple syrup ones sound good!
I agree about the modern art stuff, some of it is just rubbish (those canvases ) The chandelier in coloured glass is beautiful though. You are good going to language shool, especially since it seems quite boring! I would be skipping that for more coffee and cake lol!

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 19, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Lol - for a moment I thought the washing machine was another art work! I’m with you on the white canvases - surely that’s cheating?

Also, food needs to be on plates!
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 19, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by CrispyA View Post
Lol - for a moment I thought the washing machine was another art work! I’m with you on the white canvases - surely that’s cheating?

Also, food needs to be on plates!
I thought the same when I first saw the washing machine too 😂
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 19, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Jake71 View Post
Some interesting pieces of "art", but also some really interesting pieces. A good way to spend your afternoon.
I like an art museum from time to time! Not that I understand anything

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 19, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
A chocolate shop is my idea of heaven, I couldn’t have resisted buying there. We love looking around art galleries even though we have no expertise in art at all. We know what we like though, and like you, if we see an exhibit of 3 white canvases then that is what it is - no hidden meaning, just white canvases 😂 There were some very nice exhibits at the gallery though, I love the chandelier. The building itself looks really interesting too.
The smell in the chocolate shop was amazing

I think most of us are not experts but know what we like and what seems to be errrrr odd!

Index of my trip reports
Old 27 Apr 19, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
oooo those chocolates! Maple syrup ones sound good!
I agree about the modern art stuff, some of it is just rubbish (those canvases ) The chandelier in coloured glass is beautiful though. You are good going to language shool, especially since it seems quite boring! I would be skipping that for more coffee and cake lol!
I am such a good student And too much cake might have equalled very tight trousers!

Index of my trip reports