Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 23 Jul 19, 12:00 AM  
Link to this Post
whiteswan
Imagineer

whiteswan's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Alamo through Virgin question.

Hi

Okay if I get a quote through Alamo Brits it says Fully Inc in the quote and one of the things it lists is CDW. So I assume this is all the cover I need with nothing extra.

However if I go into my Virgin Air Miles Account - log into Alamo using their affiliate link - the quote still says Fully Inc BUT it lists CDW as an extra £1000 (hire is for 6 weeks) - am I reading this wrong - or do I actually have to add the £1000 to my quote to be fully covered.

I have always had CDW I think as I have used Alamo Brits previously.

Dave
whiteswan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 06:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Dave.

I checked my usual way of getting car hire from VA and use this link.

travelplus.virginatlantic.co...&duration=2 8

That gives me a price and all of the insurances such as CDW and SLI etc etc

I then logged into my FC account and went into 'our partners' and selected Alamo. That gave me the same price and also the same insurances.

All of these options are the same coverage as Brits.

Edit. One crucial difference though. My link and Brits gives 2 drivers. Go in via the FC link and its 1 driver.

However, here is the crucial difference. The FC link is giving you far more options of vehicles to rent such as the F150, the 'unknown' car allocated on arrival and other vehicles not on Brits or the VA link I use.

These don't include any Insurances and that has to be paid on arrival.

The 'normal' cars such as Intermediate Saloon, Standard SUV, 7 seater etc are all insured.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 06:33 AM.
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
whiteswan
Imagineer

whiteswan's Reviews
Hi - thank you for that - but I am still a little confused...…….sorry :-)

Using your link above to Virgin Alamo it wont let me get the dates I need (Jan 8th - Feb 26th 2020)

If I log into my flying club account - click on our Partners and select Alamo then for example for my dates I can get a Internediate SUV for £1659 - click on whats included in this prices and it does NOT say CDW - however it does say I can add CDW for £1170.00.

If I log onto Alamo brits - for the same dates and same car - that comes up as £1758.96 - click on whats included and it says includes CDW.

The problem I have is that using the Virgin Airmiles link I can get a F150 for around £1500 for the duration (this vehicle not a choice on Alamo brits) - so am I right in assuming that I WOULD have to add CDW to get a "true" price.

And then to throw a bigger spanner in the works AVIS have a Chevy Suburban Premium SUV or similar for £1800.00 for the same period - but I have never used AVIS - always used Alamo.

I will be the only driver so free additional drivers is of no benefit to me personally :-)

Dave

Edited at 10:40 AM.
whiteswan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Dave. Painting at my Sons. Back in 2 hours. However via VH or my VA link the longest rental is 28 days. Any longer you have to ring up

Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Bobbins
Imagineer

Bobbins's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by whiteswan View Post
If I log into my flying club account - click on our Partners and select Alamo...
That way goes directly to Alamo and can produce bonkers prices. If you click on Travelplus instead of Alamo it takes you to Virgin Holidays car rental page..

I dont think there's any difference in pricing and T's & C's compared to going directly to the VH site except I think you get bonus Airmiles if you use the Travelplus link, but actually getting them is hit and miss.

As TM says, I think you'll be having issues due to length of stay.
Bobbins is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
whiteswan
Imagineer

whiteswan's Reviews
Thank you all so much for taking the time - I think I understand it now - I am easily confused :-)

I have no problems with car hire quotes from Alamo for 40 - 50 days using Alamo Brits or Via the link in my airmiles account but as stated above going via the VA link its limited to 28 days - there are so many variables !

Like Tom Morrow always says - check daily - pounds/dollars are better in your pocket rather than the car hire companies.

Dave
Old 23 Jul 19, 12:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Dave. Home now! Too hot to undercoat!

What I would do is get a price from Brits, then do the maths with 2 x VA bookings to get you to your 6 week period. Then go from there.
Have you tried Netflights etc?

Old 23 Jul 19, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
whiteswan
Imagineer

whiteswan's Reviews
Hi

Never thought about Netflights - will have a look - although the Chevy Suburban at £1800 looks a good deal as I have a 10 percent code from Avis Insiders or whatever it is called :-)

Dave
Old 26 Jul 19, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
whiteswan
Imagineer

whiteswan's Reviews
Just a quick update on this...………

I had to ring AVIS as the 10 percent discount code they issued me through their Avis Preferred scheme would not input on line - I explained to the lady what my problem was and she said she would input it all for myself.

However it was coming up invalid code for her as well - yet she could see it was a valid 10 percent code. So she said that she would look into it and call me back.

She called me this afternoon as she had managed to get an over-ride code to action my 10 percent discount - however today the rental is now £300 more and there was nothing she could do about that - I thanked her and ended the call - not very impressed with Avis to be honest.

I booked through Alamo Brits -in the safe knowledge I am covered and I can skip the counter.

I always book the cheapest SUV option and have been allowed to choose and drive out in previous years Grand Cherokee, Traverse, Tahoe (7 seater) and a few other large SUV's. I have posted previously on here that I think it's the time of year. Fairly quiet in January - and they honestly don't seem to be bothered what you take. I would NOT advise anybody else to do this...……...it's just worked out ok for me the last 8 years or so - but I am fully aware they can turn me around at the barrier and send me back !

Dave