Go Back   theDIBB - Disney With A British Accent > DIBB Members Trip Reports > General Trip Reports
Forgotten Password?
Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Unread 4 Aug 19, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
#17
CrispyA
Imagineer
 
Join Date: Oct 11
Wow, that villa looks amazing and the food! Thanks for sharing, we really fancy Italy next year.
CrispyA is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Dec 19, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
#18
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

 
tocpe321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 12
Have just booked flights for Sicily next year, so I thought I'd post on this thread. We're also thinking about Cefalu.
__________________
tocpe

Edited at 09:52 PM.
tocpe321 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Sicily
Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Dec 19, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
#19
Mexy02
Thread Starter
VIP Dibber

 
Mexy02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 12

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by tocpe321 View Post
Have just booked flights for Sicily next year, so I thought I'd post on this thread. We're also thinking about Cefalu.
Im a bit jealous , we keep looking , flights are great but cant find anything cheap enough accommodation wise and certainly cant afford the villa again
Cefalu is beautiful . Where are you staying ? The coastal train is fabulous and so cheap .
__________________
LBV Spa resort October 2013
Bahama bay October/Nov 2015, 1 night Disney contemporary oct 2015, 1 night Loews rpr Nov 2015
Bahama bay October /Nov 2017, 1 night Disney contemporary oct 17 , 1 night AKL , 1 night GF
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , 1 night poly
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Return to Sicily :)
Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Dec 19, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
#20
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

 
tocpe321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 12
Originally Posted by Mexy02 View Post
Im a bit jealous , we keep looking , flights are great but cant find anything cheap enough accommodation wise and certainly cant afford the villa again
Cefalu is beautiful . Where are you staying ? The coastal train is fabulous and so cheap .
Your villa looks fantastic.

Eldest DS and I have been doing a lot of research on Airbnb. There's a few in the town near the beach. Apparently parking can be a problem so we may not hire car or certainly not for the whole trip. May use public transport to get around. Is the coastal train something different from the usual train service? Hopefully we can make a decision in the next few days.

I've started to have a look at Sicilian food.

__________________
tocpe

Edited at 10:30 PM.
tocpe321 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Sicily
Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jan 20, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
#21
Mexy02
Thread Starter
VIP Dibber

 
Mexy02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 12

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by tocpe321 View Post
Your villa looks fantastic.

Eldest DS and I have been doing a lot of research on Airbnb. There's a few in the town near the beach. Apparently parking can be a problem so we may not hire car or certainly not for the whole trip. May use public transport to get around. Is the coastal train something different from the usual train service? Hopefully we can make a decision in the next few days.

I've started to have a look at Sicilian food.

Which town have you picked ? From where we were it was around a 2.5-3 hr drive to etna. Its a very big island .,
The train it the italiarail ( normal service) . Buy a ticket at the machine , make sure you validate it at the next machine and off you go . They do have conductors on board who check.
You will be hard pushed to find anyone who speaks English it even the kids , google translate is your friend .

We used Alamo/enterprise for a car . Watch the excess it is normal to be around 2000 , we found one at 600 and took out an axa excess policy . The nearer to etna the more up you will pay . Car hire at Palermo is easy and the desk was inside the airport ( east mids size ) but frantic but ok but the car pick is outside , quite an eye opener lol. Just dont hire a huge car . The towns have tiny roads. The motorway ring is toll as well , you pay in exit and chose wisely for your town as you may find yourself driving back on yourself on the normal roads .
In August Rome and Venice holiday in Sicily so it becomes very busy. Beaches you pay for the lidos but there is some free beAch but not a lot in some places . Its not extortionate though. mist beaches are shingle or rock.
You will have to drive to get to a larger supermarket but they are nothing like here so dont expect huge , its easier to shop local like bakery , butchers M tiny supermarket etc . We had 3 separate days queing with locals for fresh milk on delivery . everything is seasonal as well. When you weigh apples etc there is a glove normal in a drawer under the scale use it and put the code on the produce ( handwritten one) and weigh it , took us a while to figure that one Out lol , they do use chip and pin but you may find you are the only one using it lol .they also shut everything midday so check you timings ( mostly 12-4)
Food is Really cheap. restaurants and street food which is a must imo. If you think it looks touristy it will still be cheap . Gelato is a must do and the fresh bakers , see my food bit. a meal is a family affair so expect the village to turn up at the restaurant lol and allow lit of time . The savour food so its a full evenings job. Limoncello at the supermarket is about 4 , beer dirt cheap and wine a And Prosecco around the same . Our pizza bill which was amazing was 78 for the 7 of us including all drinks . Crazy .
Its an amazing place though , think pre commercialised. We loved it . The locals called our villa the big house , made me think who actually owned it it cost just shy of 5000 that villa for a week 😱😱 my sis booked it as a family treat.
I might start looking again . obvs for something a lot cheaper lol.
__________________
LBV Spa resort October 2013
Bahama bay October/Nov 2015, 1 night Disney contemporary oct 2015, 1 night Loews rpr Nov 2015
Bahama bay October /Nov 2017, 1 night Disney contemporary oct 17 , 1 night AKL , 1 night GF
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , 1 night poly
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Return to Sicily :)
Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jan 20, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
#22
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

 
tocpe321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 12
Originally Posted by Mexy02 View Post
Which town have you picked ? From where we were it was around a 2.5-3 hr drive to etna. Its a very big island .,
The train it the italiarail ( normal service) . Buy a ticket at the machine , make sure you validate it at the next machine and off you go . They do have conductors on board who check.
You will be hard pushed to find anyone who speaks English it even the kids , google translate is your friend .

We used Alamo/enterprise for a car . Watch the excess it is normal to be around 2000 , we found one at 600 and took out an axa excess policy . The nearer to etna the more up you will pay . Car hire at Palermo is easy and the desk was inside the airport ( east mids size ) but frantic but ok but the car pick is outside , quite an eye opener lol. Just dont hire a huge car . The towns have tiny roads. The motorway ring is toll as well , you pay in exit and chose wisely for your town as you may find yourself driving back on yourself on the normal roads .
In August Rome and Venice holiday in Sicily so it becomes very busy. Beaches you pay for the lidos but there is some free beAch but not a lot in some places . Its not extortionate though. mist beaches are shingle or rock.
You will have to drive to get to a larger supermarket but they are nothing like here so dont expect huge , its easier to shop local like bakery , butchers M tiny supermarket etc . We had 3 separate days queing with locals for fresh milk on delivery . everything is seasonal as well. When you weigh apples etc there is a glove normal in a drawer under the scale use it and put the code on the produce ( handwritten one) and weigh it , took us a while to figure that one Out lol , they do use chip and pin but you may find you are the only one using it lol .they also shut everything midday so check you timings ( mostly 12-4)
Food is Really cheap. restaurants and street food which is a must imo. If you think it looks touristy it will still be cheap . Gelato is a must do and the fresh bakers , see my food bit. a meal is a family affair so expect the village to turn up at the restaurant lol and allow lit of time . The savour food so its a full evenings job. Limoncello at the supermarket is about 4 , beer dirt cheap and wine a And Prosecco around the same . Our pizza bill which was amazing was 78 for the 7 of us including all drinks . Crazy .
Its an amazing place though , think pre commercialised. We loved it . The locals called our villa the big house , made me think who actually owned it it cost just shy of 5000 that villa for a week 😱😱 my sis booked it as a family treat.
I might start looking again . obvs for something a lot cheaper lol.
Mexy02 that's brilliant. Many thanks for all the info. Really useful.



Haven't booked accommodation yet, but still thinking likely to be Cefalu.

I'll have a look at the car hire as well. When we've been to Greece we've hired a car for a few days in the middle of the holiday, so may do that.

Thanks again and hope your planning goes well.

__________________
tocpe
tocpe321 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Sicily
Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jan 20, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
#23
Mexy02
Thread Starter
VIP Dibber

 
Mexy02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 12

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by tocpe321 View Post
Mexy02 that's brilliant. Many thanks for all the info. Really useful.



Haven't booked accommodation yet, but still thinking likely to be Cefalu.

I'll have a look at the car hire as well. When we've been to Greece we've hired a car for a few days in the middle of the holiday, so may do that.

Thanks again and hope your planning goes well.

Im currently on home away looking lol . If you need any help just shout up . X
__________________
LBV Spa resort October 2013
Bahama bay October/Nov 2015, 1 night Disney contemporary oct 2015, 1 night Loews rpr Nov 2015
Bahama bay October /Nov 2017, 1 night Disney contemporary oct 17 , 1 night AKL , 1 night GF
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , 1 night poly
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Return to Sicily :)
Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jan 20, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
#24
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

 
tocpe321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 12
Talking

Originally Posted by Mexy02 View Post
Im currently on home away looking lol . If you need any help just shout up . X
Thanks.

Happy searching.
__________________
tocpe
tocpe321 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Sicily
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump

Ocean Florida

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin - Copyright © 2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ocean Florida

theDIBB Menu


US Dollar Rates
ASDA  $1.2125
Covent Garden FX  $1.2277
M&S  $1.1991
Sainsburys  $1.2061
TESCO  $1.1891
Travelex  $1.2100
Updated: 22:30 01/04/2020

theDIBB Charities
Cancer Research UK
DIBB Members have Donated: £10,130
£


Macmillan Cancer Support
DIBB Members have Donated: £1,085
£

Euro Rates
ASDA  €1.1032
Covent Garden FX  €1.1125
M&S  €1.0885
Sainsburys  €1.0980
TESCO  €1.0820
Travelex  €1.1005
Updated: 22:30 01/04/2020

Orlando Weather
Florida Time
Wed 1st Apr 5:32pm
Now: 24C/75F
Clear Sky
Clear Sky
Cloud Cover: 1%
Wind: 8mph - N Arrow points to where the wind is coming from.
Pressure: 1011mb
Humidity: 38%
Illuminations Smoke
Updated: 21:20 01/04/2020