Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 13 Dec 19, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney2021
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Planning Help.

Hi,
Booked for Port Orleans Riverside with Virgin in Feb 2021. Never been to Disney Florida before and going with my husband and my daughter who will be 6. Any hints / tips on what I can be doing now to plan the holiday? When will the dining plan be available to book and how to the character meals work with the dining plan? Which are the best character meals?
Basically any info you wish to share will be great. I have mobility issues and even though shorter distances I may seem ok I will deffo need a scooter from Disney for my park days (they'll be days I rest by the pool and let the other 2 hit the parks on their own).
Thanks
Disney2021 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 19, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Mallky555
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Have you already booked? If you had waited till April you may have got free Disney dining with your booking ! Assuming Disney do it again next year
Mallky555 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 19, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Disney2021 View Post
Hi,
Booked for Port Orleans Riverside with Virgin in Feb 2021. Never been to Disney Florida before and going with my husband and my daughter who will be 6. Any hints / tips on what I can be doing now to plan the holiday? When will the dining plan be available to book and how to the character meals work with the dining plan? Which are the best character meals?
Basically any info you wish to share will be great. I have mobility issues and even though shorter distances I may seem ok I will deffo need a scooter from Disney for my park days (they'll be days I rest by the pool and let the other 2 hit the parks on their own).
Thanks
I think you have booked too early unfortunately. If you have only paid a small deposit, I would maybe think about writing it off, but leave it for now assuming you don't need to pay the rest for a long time.

In April next year, price it up again, free dining might be out by then and of course flights will have been released for February 2021 by then, at the moment your "flights" will probably be over priced as they are not yet scheduled so VH don't know the prices and will have built in a buffer.

There isn't really anything you can or need to do right now. But with no urgency, you could start to familiarise with the Disney restaurants and think about which you might like to include in your trip. I have a spreadsheet going for my December 2020 trip which is not much sooner than your trip but I only update it idly as there is still a very long time before I can plan anything in reality.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 19, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
BirdsluvDisney
Apprentice Imagineer

Hello and welcome to the DIBB, we are a friendly bunch, Many of us have been to Orlando many times but still come on the DIBB not only to help others with info but ask lots of questions ourselves, I have been visiting Disney for 30 years and still ask lots of question, So please feel free to ask away as many questions as you need.

Firstly I have to echo what others have said booking with virgin now for 2021 may well not of been your best option, In April Disney usually bring out the free Disney dining plan along with free Disney dollars usually about $200, A lot of people usually book with Disney or another company including VH. They then book flights when prices start dropping usually the 11 month before travel mark or when sales appear, Flight are usually around £400pp sometime cheaper, Being unsure what you have paid we cant tell you if you have paid over the odds, But I would guess you have as flights Feb 2021 flights have not been released yet. Also you would not of received any of the free offers.

If you have only paid a deposit I would be looking at either asking VH if they will guarantee you the free Disney dining plan and free dollars if it becomes available in April, Or I would cancel and wait until April to do your booking.

Some of the plans you can start making decide if you want the DDP or the QSDP with POR you usually get the free QSDP but can upgrade for a supplement for the DDP this will then give you your character meals and table service meals as well as your snacks and quick service meals.

I have MS and use a mobility scooter I book with Yellow scooters on line and they deliver scooter to resort and also collect I usually pay around £170 for 2 weeks which is so much cheaper than hiring Disney scooter.
I also stay on POFQ as it is a much smaller resort and easy for me to get around.
You can do lots of reading about how the DAS works and familiarize yourself with how fab Disney are for people with additional needs.

When staying on Disney we never hire a car and find Disney transport excellent and so easy to use with the scooter.

Throughout the parks there are many places to charge your scooter if the batery runs low, Yellow scooter provides you with a portable charger.
I usually give a quick charge while having lunch or stop for a snack.

I would also recommend reading loads of DIBB trip reports and Food reports there are some fab ones and I have learnt so much from them.

Good luck with all your exciting planning and once again welcome to the DIBB
Old 13 Dec 19, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

If you book a room at Disney & pay a deposit, do you need to specify at the time how many people for the free dining & do you need to buy Park tickets direct with Disney to get DDP.
Might book a BA package with Rosen Hotel then direct with WDW for hotel so a split stay.
Just found out too that I can’t book 2 rooms on their site at same time, is this correct & how do you get round it 🤔
On BA it’s easy to add a second room
Thanks
ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 19, 08:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Mobile

Welcome to the Dibb. I booked too early like you with VH but when the offer came on for free dining they cancelled my booking and moves to anew one. They transferred my deposit and nothing lost.

As for planning, make a list of your favourite characters and work out which restaurants they are at.

Personally I like the buffets at lunch so we could rest in middle of day and we go back to resort for late afternoon and to rest around the pool.

Also look at the rides you want to do most or the shows/fireworks to get an idea of how many days in each park.

Maybe plan some water park days so you can rest.

You'll have an amazing time and just keep searching and reading on here and ask - remember there no daft questions.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 19, 08:15 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
While you have probably booked too early I think if free dining is offered in April you should be able to transfer the booking, although you may need to change hotel or room type as standard room at Port Orleans Riverside weren’t included this year.

You still have lots of time for planning so plenty time to browse the site for hints and tips.

If you do end up with dining plan this thread could be useful https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1011133

Trip Report Index
sha9 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List