Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Aug 20, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
muffa2308
Imagineer

Any mortgage experts out there?

Hi,

My partner and I are looking to buy a house. We have the deposit and It's not a very large mortgage. (Easily affordable) I have been with my company for 6 years. My partner has recently returned to the same company. She was employed for 5 years but left because we got together. She got headhunted to come back after 2 months for another department. so basically 7 years service interrupted by 2 months but continuous employment (not even a day in between) she believes we will be disqualified for a mortgage because she does not have 2 years 'continuous service' is this correct?
muffa2308 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 20, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post

I don’t believe this is correct, no. I have never heard of a “two years continuous service” requirement for a mortgage. They don’t usually want anything more than the last three months of payslips or similar.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 20, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

as above, no it is not correct. She may be asked why she left and rejoined etc. but that should not be a problem. Is she worried about her credit rating because of something else?
WhereIBelong is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 20, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

We’ve just applied for a mortgage and they only asked for 3 months payslips. They did ask how long we’d been with our employers though. I believe if you’re in a new-ish position, they may ask questions about probation periods etc., but it sounds like something which can be navigated in your situation.
Old 14 Aug 20, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

I remortgaged last year after being with a new company for only 5 or 6 months. During the process I was made redundant but found another job quickly so just told them I was changing jobs again (didn't mention the redundant bit).

They didn't care that I was changing job.
Old 14 Aug 20, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
My brother in law had to put off moving last year as he had only been in his job for a few months and it had a 6 month probationary period so that’s something to consider.
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 20, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
vhm672
Imagineer

vhm672's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Lenders obviously want to, and have to look at affordability and have to consider what happens in a change of circumstances.

2 years continuous employment is therefore relevant but only because of redundancy and other employment rights, both of which provide some comfort to a lender.

It will therefore be something they look at but should not be a bar to a mortgage in itself.
vhm672 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 20, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
GoldenAvalanche
Imagineer

Nooo it's fine, Nationwide will actually (well they did pre Covid unless it's changed) accept future wages if you're about to get promoted or change jobs! They just ask for a letter stating the salary from the employer. The hold up with our current sale was because our buyer changed jobs and the lender wanted to see his contract with start date. There really is no minimum service, I think they were expected to be more flexible with the rise of zero hour and non permanent contracts since the last recession otherwise huge swathes of people would never get a mortgage. It's the self-employed that need to be able to demonstrate income for is it 2 years?
GoldenAvalanche is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 20, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Kd0758
Very Serious Dibber

Some mortgage lenders will give you a mortgage just based on a job offer!

I’d maybe go to a mortgage broker or adviser because they know which lenders specify which requirements.
Kd0758 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 20, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
honeybun1989
Imagineer

My daughter and her boyfriend have just bought their first home. Her boyfriend has only been with his employer 1 month and they got a decent mortgage with no problems ..
His employer gave him a letter for the mortgage company to confirm his employment with details of his salary ..

Edited at 03:42 PM.
honeybun1989 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List