Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 6 Apr 21, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
lfc_sarah
Imagineer

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
Making flapjack with the grandkids tomorrow. What do you think, plain, cherry or choc chip?
White choc chip and cherry 😋
lfc_sarah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 21, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
Making flapjack with the grandkids tomorrow. What do you think, plain, cherry or choc chip?
chop the cherries and mix them into the flappyjack (personally i would add some dessicated coconut to the mix too), then melt the chocolate and pour it on top of the cooked/cooled block youve made, sprinkle a little bit of sea salt crystals over the top and cool in the fridge before slicing...
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 21, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

we made easter cookies at the weekend which the grandkids helped decorate with copious amount of icing and sprinkles they were demolished in about 5 mins and before the icing even set so no photos
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 21, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
lfc_sarah
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mandco View Post
we made easter cookies at the weekend which the grandkids helped decorate with copious amount of icing and sprinkles they were demolished in about 5 mins and before the icing even set so no photos
Haha love it!
lfc_sarah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 21, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
lfc_sarah
Imagineer

Just finished this for my friends son.
I will only do fondant cakes for my own kids or friends forever 😂! I love the fondant figure making but fondant cake decorating is hard work!

Old 8 Apr 21, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Tigger71
Imagineer

Tigger71's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Great thread and some amazing bakes. I did a rainbow cake for my DS 10th birthday two weeks ago. Despite cheating and using prepped cake mix from BakedIn, it was still a several hour job with all that different coloured buttercream icing. Those of you making fabulous cakes most be spending a day - I sincerely envy your patience ! 😀

Old 8 Apr 21, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyMadAng
Imagineer

Mobile

I've never made a cake cake, as in more than a Victoria sponge. DD has asked me to make my grandson's first birthday cake 😬

Had a practice run today. Couldn't get hold of a number 1 tin so googled how to make one. Ummed and ahhed about what sponge to use and came across a Madeira one (should have asked, I know, I know). It's far from perfect... I've never decorated a cake.
I feel I have been given a mammoth task Used up some leftover buttercream (will make more for the final cake) that I had in the freezer just to get a rough idea and ta da...

I'm so impressed that I've made an edible sponge and it wasn't raw. Had to guess at the timings and it worked! I'm so impressed with myself 😂

My piping skills are pants so any easy decoration ideas for the final cake would be much appreciated. Should I colour the buttercream blue?

Fondant icing isn't going to happen. Just whacking on buttercream stressed me out 😬
DisneyMadAng is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 21, 12:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridadreams
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyMadAng View Post
I've never made a cake cake, as in more than a Victoria sponge. DD has asked me to make my grandson's first birthday cake 😬

Had a practice run today. Couldn't get hold of a number 1 tin so googled how to make one. Ummed and ahhed about what sponge to use and came across a Madeira one (should have asked, I know, I know). It's far from perfect... I've never decorated a cake.
I feel I have been given a mammoth task Used up some leftover buttercream (will make more for the final cake) that I had in the freezer just to get a rough idea and ta da...

I'm so impressed that I've made an edible sponge and it wasn't raw. Had to guess at the timings and it worked! I'm so impressed with myself 😂

My piping skills are pants so any easy decoration ideas for the final cake would be much appreciated. Should I colour the buttercream blue?

Fondant icing isn't going to happen. Just whacking on buttercream stressed me out 😬
That is great! Well done!
Firstly, madeira cake lasts longer than a sponge so it gives you plenty of time to decorate and it’ll stay fresh for longer.
If you want to use buttercream then I’d colour it blue. Do a first coat as thick as you have here and then if it fits put it in the fridge for a while to set a bit. Then put on your top coat.
You can then add sweets or chocolates around the edge for decoration. Or you could add character candles, or small toys (although you’d have to be careful with them and a one year old)
Or, if you want to try piping you can get a star shaped tip which could give you a finish like the one I did on the sticky toffee cake above. You could just do it around the bottom and around the top

Edited at 12:07 AM.
Floridadreams is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 21, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Your first birthday cake looks fantastic! I'm rubbish at icing and decorating and would definitely agree with Floridadreams that sticking sweets, Smarties, etc on a cake is far easier and can look good. Here is a cake I made for DD years ago.

You could get some chocolate buttons and make a nice pattern.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 21, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyMadAng View Post

Perfectly level buttercream!
How about meringues and fruit as a decoration of you don’t t want to get involved with fondant?

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List