Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 6 May 21, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
ILoveDaveLamb
Imagineer

COVID Testing for travel for those with additional needs

I am getting pretty worried that DS26 won’t be able to comply with instructions to have a COVID test prior to travel.

His gag reflex is so strong and his sensory issues so great that he can’t let me swipe the swab where I need to, on his tonsils. In fact I can’t get in his mouth at all. Up the nose is not so bad.

Am just wondering if going forward there might be options to get tested via blood sample or just nostril testing only.

We will keep practising, but I‘m not v positive we‘ll get there.

Heaven only knows how we will stand re insurance if this is a barrier for travel.
Old 6 May 21, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
wdw-wanderer
Apprentice Imagineer

My daughter is a teacher and has to test twice weekly. One of her colleagues has a strong gag reflex and does double nostril instead which appears to be acceptable.
wdw-wanderer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 21, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
ILoveDaveLamb
Imagineer

Thank you WDW-W. That is helpful! Xx
Old 6 May 21, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Young Pooh
Apprentice Imagineer

My daughter goes to a special school (secondary) and does twice weekly LFTs. She does both nostrils (as do a lot of the students) as she can't cope with the throat swab.

Whilst it is acceptable for school testing, it may be a different matter for travel. Time will tell.

Young Pooh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 21, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
davidh71
Trying for More Ears

On the Gov dot uk website there is a small section which says the following about people who do not need to have a test before travel to England:

if you have a medical condition which means you cannot take a test – you must present a note from a medical practitioner at check in and to Border Force staff on arrival in England

Can't find any other information so no idea what medical conditions may be included.

This is also for England only so I guess each country will have their own rules and requirements regarding possible exceptions.
davidh71 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 21, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Dendycat
VIP Dibber

Dendycat's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
There is a test called a halo test which tests your saliva but I have no idea if it is appropriate for travel to the USA or back. It is listed on the BA website on discounted tests.
Old 9 May 21, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

We travelled in December and had PCR tests. I wasn’t sure if my son (19) would be ok or not but decided to try and see what happened.

I sent him in with his older brother rather than me (he is normally glued to me) and he watched his brother have the test first. I didn’t realise until after but he had looked the test up on you tube already 🙄 I think that he was so desperate to go on holiday that he just did it. Yes he gagged, yes his anxiety was through the roof the whole 30 min car journey there plus the waiting, but he did it. He was worse when he had the Pfizer jab. Has your son had the jab? Ho2 was he with that?
Dazed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 21, 07:00 AM  
Link to this Post
ILoveDaveLamb
Imagineer

Dazed, so glad your DS did so well!

DS has had his first vaccine with no issues. Second is booked for tomorrow. In general he surprises me how well he copes with dental procedures etc. He once had an ingrown toenail treated with zero fuss. (There was a lot of blood! ) He is a willing supplicant, he didn’t mind the idea of the test at all. He just couldn’t do it.

I gave him the pamphlet instruction book to read first and showed him the swab before. I hadn’t thought of YouTube so will try that, thanks, and will just keep trying.

I will look at everyone‘s kind suggestions and suppose time will tell.

X
Old 18 May 21, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
GMickeyB
Excited about Disney

We are due to go end of August, we have a daughter who has severe LD, Downs and ASD, she has severe sensory issues which causes a lot of anxiety, I've managed to get her vaccinated (twice) AND managed to get her to wear masks when being vaccinated, the whole thing was very stressful, but tests are a different ball game, I'm not sure I can pull that one off, unless she can be exempt, but things don't look very clear on that, I honestly thought vaccinations would of been enough to travel abroad
GMickeyB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 21, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
ILoveDaveLamb
Imagineer

I hope you get answers well in advance of your August dates GMickeyB.

Great that your DD has been vaccinated. x