Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 5 Jun 21, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Originally Posted by gjdjud View Post
I don’t understand why so many commenting are aghast at using takeaway delivery services or getting a takeaway? Many of these kept many businesses afloat during lockdowns. It’s not just big companies, many small places are more accessible to people because of them.

Is is a generational thing? Not having a go, just curious.

Ps if you tried mine or my wife’s cooking you’d be getting Deliveroo as well
I’m just wondering why many people can’t actually go out & get it themselves 🤦
While in KFC a delivery driver we saw, was literally back within 5 minutes so the drop off must’ve been round the corner 🙄
I think Covid has made many people lazy or scared to go out 😷😢
ClaireNJ is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 21, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

We have never had any kind of takeaway delivered to us by anyone.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 21, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Nope never will
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 21, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

I don’t understand why so many commenting are aghast at using takeaway delivery services or getting a takeaway? Many of these kept many businesses afloat during lockdowns. It’s not just big companies, many small places are more accessible to people because of them.

Is is a generational thing? Not having a go just curious.
I must admit to not using them before lockdown but apart from feeling supporting local business they also supported me. I find being able to order what I want when I want all part of 21 C living and I am well into middle age. For example there is a wonderful small Italian resultant near me that I heard about but didnt have the chance to go before lockdown and I used it a few times during lockdown and now have a booking in their tiny restaurant. Yep I dont order chips or pizza but I do like good fresh food and get it, sometimes, delivered to my door at no extra cost (and I can eat in my PJs if I wish) - but very often its when I am cooking and fun out of something I feel I need in a hurry

Edited at 08:45 PM.
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 21, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
Originally Posted by ClaireNJ View Post
I’m just wondering why many people can’t actually go out & get it themselves 🤦
While in KFC a delivery driver we saw, was literally back within 5 minutes so the drop off must’ve been round the corner 🙄
I think Covid has made many people lazy or scared to go out 😷😢
Me personally, I use them as I’m a lazy so and so
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 21, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Both Uber Eats and Deliveroo have been in our town for a fair while but as we live on the outskirts of town, we were outside their delivery area.

That changed a month or two back and they do come to us now. We’ve used them a small handful of times, but only when they’ve offered decent £X off if you spend £Y discounts to try and get us hooked.

Even when they do, though, we’ve just used places that we would ordinarily use which are our local Indian, Chinese and chippy.

We do get takeaways from the above three places a few times a month but I always walk and collect - they’re only a few minutes away and it seems lazy to request delivery.

I know the business models of these large delivery services has attracted a lot of criticism as they charge the restaurant/takeaway high fees but I’ve noticed with our local places that their Uber Eats/Deliveroo prices are inflated from what a walk-in customer pays, so I can only assume they are pricing up to cover their fees.

If I thought they were taking a big hit to fulfil orders using these services I wouldn’t use them at all.

One thing we’ve never done is order our weekly shop to be delivered. Until today that is. As we’re in self-isolation we have a big order of groceries coming in the next half hour. It feels a bit like Christmas! 😂

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 21, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by buryboy View Post
Never ever had a takeaway delivered by anyone

You are not alone

Us neither

Joan
Old 5 Jun 21, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

I once used Uber eats in the US. I have never used them here at home because they don’t deliver.
Claudette is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 21, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
I use Deliveroo regularly eg the other day I was doing a BBQ and I needed fresh Basil and another bag of ice and didnt want to leave my guest so quick click and it arrived fresh from Waitrose in less than 20 minutes . The also deliver from local Michelin restaurant which is good on a lazy day
Self-isolation life had me checking out these kind of options just yesterday and I was amazed at what I could get dropped on my doorstep within 30 minutes if I so desired!

I haven’t used them yet, but with another week of self-isolation ahead I can see I probably will!

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 21, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Is is a generational thing? Not having a go, just curious.

Ps if you tried mine or my wife’s cooking you’d be getting Deliveroo as well
We don’t eat pizza (just don’t like it) or KFC, McDonalds etc. We do have a fantastic fairly local Chinese Restaurant which isn’t a takeaway but if you phone ahead and pick it up yourself they will cook a meal for you.

We are cooking from scratch with real food people anyway rather than ready meals so maybe that has something to do with it.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List