Notices
UK Holiday Planning & Days Out For UK Holiday planning and experiences

Old 24 Jul 21, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Malificent
Imagineer

London transport

I’m staying in Heathrow in a few weeks and wanting to get a train or underground into central London.

Harrods and NBA store Soho are what I’m going for.

What are my best options transport wise?

Thanks
Malificent is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 21, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Heathrow express your fastest in to central London
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 21, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Here is the TFL journey planner

tfl.gov.uk/plan-a-journey/

Personally I would get the tube from LHR to Knightsbridge for Harrods then then onwards to soho . The Heathrow express takes you to Paddington which is some way off where you want to go (and albeit fast is overpriced - there is a similar overground service to Paddington at afraction of the cost but not sure you would save much time over the tube TBH)
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 21, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
Here is the TFL journey planner

tfl.gov.uk/plan-a-journey/

Personally I would get the tube from LHR to Knightsbridge for Harrods then then onwards to soho . The Heathrow express takes you to Paddington which is some way off where you want to go (and albeit fast is overpriced - there is a similar overground service to Paddington at afraction of the cost but not sure you would save much time over the tube TBH)
This is what I would do too - gets you to Harrods probably quicker and certainly cheaper
Old 24 Jul 21, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Anne K
Imagineer

Anne K's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Use the CityMapper app, it's great!
Anne K is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 21, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Malificent
Imagineer

Thank you all.

Are all LHR terminals open? Which is the correct one for the express and/or the tube?
Malificent is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 21, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyCupcake
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Malificent View Post
Thank you all.

Are all LHR terminals open? Which is the correct one for the express and/or the tube?
T4 closed at the moment.

Heathrow Express covers T5 and T2/3 and leaves from Paddington and vice versa.

TfL Rail (formerly Heathrow Connect) leaves Paddington and serves T2/3 then either T4(in normal times) or T5 and vice versa/. This stops at more stations than the Heathrow Express and takes longer but is cheaper.

Tube covers all Terminals T5, T2/3 and T4 - but on a journey from London always double check that your tube goes to T5 or T4 - all of them go to T2/3.

The Picadilly Line to T5 goes to T2/3 first - the Picadilly Line to T4 goes there first and then to T2/3. Hope that makes sense.

Edited at 07:05 PM.
DisneyCupcake is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 21, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Malificent
Imagineer

Thank you so much for the information. It is very much appreciated.
Old 24 Jul 21, 11:12 PM  
Link to this Post
porridge
Apprentice Imagineer

I’d also recommend getting the tube from heathrow. It’s on the Piccadilly line (dark blue). Get off at Knightsbridge for Harrods. Then get on at Knightsbridge and get off at Piccadilly Circus station (also on the Piccadilly line) for the NBA store. That would be the easiest way.
Use your contactless bank card to pay for your tube ticket(s). That is the cheapest option. You need to use a different one per person. If you don’t have one, then get an Oyster card from the ticket machine (tickets cost the same price as using a bank card.
Oyster cards are £5 each, and you load them up with money. When you e finished in London, you can go to the ticket office and get the change and your £5 back.
You just tap your bank card or Oyster card on the yellow pad by the ticket barrier, and it will open. The same on the way out (make sure you always tap in and out). There is a daily cap, so it will never cost more than a travel card. And each journey, I believe, is around a third cheaper than if you just bought a single ticket from a machine.
porridge is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 21, 04:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Malificent
Imagineer

Thank you for the great advice. So I guess there is no pre booking for tube? Just jump on and go?
How regular are they?