Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 30 May 22, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

Just A Dream Away - Better late than never!

The Prologue - or should that be the Epilogue?!
So we actually completed our trip in August 2019, link to my pre trippie is in my signature should you have some time to kill 😄
There are a few reasons I didn't get round to sorting this trip report ( WARNING - will be more photo than word heavy as so much time now passed ☺️), the obvious one being the pandemic and being conscious of those who had to cancel their hols - I felt a bit funny posting when others had been looking forward to theirs for so long. We also went away for Christmas for the first time ever in 2019. Despite numerous people telling us how we wouldn't enjoy it and how being somewhere warm and sunny on Christmas Day just 'wouldn't feel right', I can honestly say we loved it and are intending to do it again!
We stayed in Jandia, Fuerteventura at an Iberostar hotel, having liked it so much the previous summer. I highly recommend it if you want a properly relaxing hol - total opposite to WDW and felt extremely lazy, bliss! 😂

This was taken Christmas day, so quiet too.
We also squeezed in DD's first trip to London February 2020 to see the Tutankhamun exhibit and take in some tourist traps, really lovely weekend all round.

Before I knew it my dreaded had sneaked up on me then, the big 4-0! 😱 Obviously given the situation it was a very different celebration than expected, but had a distinct Disney theme thanks to my fab family and friends 😊 I was lucky enough to get these..

I do love the Anna and Elsa as children painting, DH ordered this from Disney Institute of Fine Art in California and am chuffed to bits with it. He really outdid himself to be fair and I also received a very special video message. Don't think I can post it here but screenshot coming -

I got a Happy Birthday from Pumbaa himself, Ernie Sabella! Epic 😂
Well that rounds off 2019 and 2020 and my rubbish excuses for delays to this trip report, but there is one final 2021 reason...

Erm, we had a baby! 😄 Sebastian was born in November 2021 so we are now a family of 4 ready for new Orlando adventures 🤗 And on that note -
Trip Highlights Part 1 Travel and Universal - photo alert!
We stayed at the Premier Inn Gatwick Manor Royal the night before our BA flight (as we had in 2016) and arranged valet parking direct through Gatwick site - this worked brilliantly and looking at prices compared to same at Heathrow was very reasonable, especially as we were away for 16 nights. Think we had the view of virgin HQ again too!

For those of you that have read my pre trip report for this holiday, you'll remember I had actually kept the fact we were flying Club World a secret from DH so he was most taken aback when we got here

Was very impressed with the new club lounge at Gatwick, great food and drink selection, lots of space and plenty to entertain children.
On board granted you could tell the cabin was a bit tired and in need of revamp, but still comfortable and roomy and great food. I can't compare to Virgin Upper as have only flown PE with them, but as we got these BA business class flights for the same price Virgin wanted for premium economy, I was well pleased!

Sorry, do like my food so forgive slightly food heavy pics! 😆
We booked Universal hotel with the flights via Charter Travel and they threw in transportation, this was lovely and much nicer than expected being met at arrivals by the driver.

When we arrived at the Hard Rock, was so excited as never previously stayed onside at Universal - it didn't disappoint! We were there for our first 2 nights before moving onto Disney and hotel and food were fantastic, was nice to do something a bit different and as DD was 7 was the right age for everything - in 2016 we just did Disney and Seaworld as she was only 4. One thing I would say though I felt this stay in my pocket - having had free Disney dining this one hurt!

Coming up, Universal Studios Day 1

Edited at 10:16 PM.
GezzasGem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 22, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

Universal Studios
It had been a LONG time since we had visited Universal and was the first time for DD, so was really looking forward to this part of the hol 😊 Loved taking the water taxi from HRH, great start to the hol!

DD had a few early meet and greets that were really spontaneous, which was a nice change from Disney planning 🤭 She loved the Simpsons teeming and the ride itself, although I do long for Back To The Future nostalgia - my first ever time to Orlando I remember the queue being almost 2 hours long as we had gone in school Easter hols and it clashed with spring break mayhem!

Harry Potter was another section we had not explored before - the Knight Bus and Hogwart's Express were both new additions - see, told you we hadn't been in forever... 😄 Gringotts was also a new one to us, absolutely fantastic but so glad we had the Express passes I have to say. This generally was a big plus in August and meant we got to do everything we wanted easily, although did not even attempt to queue for the (then) brand new Hagrid coaster - it was literally hours!

How amazing is Hogwart's Express?! Down to the silhouettes and everything, really impressed. This then led us to...
Islands of Adventure
Some more enjoyable character meets and also experienced Kong ride, but sorry it just can't compete with the original, don't you think?! Of course we did the infamous water rides here too (and this time knew not to bother with those darned drying machines - totally useless 🙄 )

I have realised that DD has different clothes in these pics so must have been from our second day - just to picture that out for continuity purposes 😄
We all really enjoyed our time here but am annoyed with myself that we totally forgot about Transformers! D'oh! That will have to wait a while for next visit now 🙈 We asked Bell services to sort a car for us to take us Home..AKL here we come 🤗
GezzasGem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 22, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

Disney time!
So after a great start to our Florida hols, it was time to get 'back home' - Jambo!
Now was the time for my rookie mistake to be revealed 😬 I always put a room request in at AKL as we pay for standard view only and have been fortunate enough both previous visits to get a lovely partial savannah view, so duly did the same again. However, I had stupidly used the wrong reservation reference number so when we checked in they had not received it. To be fair, we had a nice pool view room - although these rooms were yet to undergo the refurb as you will see - but it just wasn't the same!

I asked (very politely!) at reception if there was anything else available and although there wasn't that night, they were however able to move us the following day - love that Disney magic when it happens 😊

This was also the year that DD has surprise visitors 😄 ...

Yes, welcome to the family Duffy and Shelly May!
Old 3 Jun 22, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

The adventure begins
This time round we had planned out alternating Park and rest days and I have to say it worked well. Naturally MK was the first visit and halloween was already creeping in. We also had our traditional first day (well, first Disney day at least!) visit to Crystal Palace. Last time we did breakfast to get the early park entrance, but as those rules had changed we opted for lunch instead. I think I actually prefer the breakfast as it seems calmer and, of course, breakfast lasagne 🤣 still enjoyable though.

Old 3 Jun 22, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

Room with a view..and plenty of treats!
So a fab first WDW day was had and our room switch followed! I know - and completely understand - why many people see their room as somewhere to just sleep and get freshened up when of course the whole point of the holiday is to take in the sights and attractions or enjoy the pool, but I relish taking the time each day to sit on the balcony and take in the view and see the animals. Here follows some gratuitous balcony snaps!

The other thing of course is being able to sample lots of Disney food - thank goodness for the DDP back then and here's to the day they reintroduce it (hopefully as a freebie again at some point! 🤞🏼 )
On that note, will take this opportunity to throw in some of my fave foodie pics from the 2 weeks..
...starting with the first cupcake and QS breakfast naturally 😄

My fave meal of the whole holiday was Flying Fish Cafe for definite, everything was stunning and I would most definitely return - although may feel a bit queasy at the cost off plan! Somehow we managed to not be billed for the cocktails either - bonus 😉

A few more yummy snacks - including the infamous carrot cake cookie and Cheshire cat tail and yes they both live up to the hype 👌 oh and don't forget the good ol' dole whip - this was a pineapple one I think from AK

This one will be controversial am sure but it was so delicious - from the now defunct Electric Umbrella at Epcot and the disgustingly gooey, very American topping there is beer cheese - yes, beer cheese and it was SO GOOD

But back to more conventional eats, yak and yeti and grand floridian cafe for these next dishes

I enjoyed my fried chicken and the side of lobster but don't think we will be returning next time as sadly DH's meal was a total let down and he wasn't that fussed on the place itself ☹️
We don't tend to have sit down meals at Disney Springs but we of course had to try these from Amorettes! DD absolutely loved these (we shared - DH does not have a sweet tooth!) and has already decided we must go back next visit 😂

Final few snaps all from AKL now - The Mara, Boma and Jiko. We usually have a couple of trips to Boma as enjoy it so much and I finally decided to try this stew at The Mara served with basmati rice and naan and I should have done so sooner - yum 🤤 The Jiko meal was the Lion King themed experience and there were fabulous African musicians playing and singing around the restaurant too. We went quite early on when it opened so there were only about 3 tables with people on them.

Somehow I have pics of Jiko bread and dessert and not my actual dinner 🙈 #foodfail
Well that's enough food, I shall stop salivating and move on to some more trip highlights, the couple of experiences we booked for DD.
Old 4 Jun 22, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Wow, congratulations on the birth of your son. I'm glad you're doing a bit of a trippie, lots of photos are always good. Looks like a fab view from the hotel room!

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 22, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Wow, congratulations on the birth of your son. I'm glad you're doing a bit of a trippie, lots of photos are always good. Looks like a fab view from the hotel room!
Thanks Abby! Yes one of these times I will do an actual trip report that isn't 2 years overdue 😄 🙈 We have always been lucky with rooms and I wouldn't pay the huge extra sum for a savannah view when you can get this for the price of a standard view. Congrats on becoming DVC owners by the way, how exciting! 👍
Old 5 Jun 22, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

Little extras
DD was 7 on our previous trip and as we tend to go about every 3 years (bar this time, thanks to Covid but also our extra passenger 😄 ), I knew that this would most likely be the last time for Bibbiddi Bobbiddi Boutique and they had also brought out the Mermaid Academy, so both were taken advantage of! Managed to secure Cinderella's Castle for BBB and we opted for Art of Animation for Mermaid Academy. The first time I tried to book this, I was told that due to DD's age I needed to do it too.. 😳 ... luckily after a further phone call a few days later they confirmed this was NOT this case so I did not have to don my tail 😂
Both experiences were really lovely and would recommend both! We only go for the basic BBB package and took our own dress and shoes (thank you George at Asda! ) When DD was 4 she wanted to be Tiana and this time around she opted for Belle. Happily we also managed to snag a FP for Enchanted Tales on the same day which made for a lovely meet 👌 it was also our first time visiting AoA and loved the theming here - very spacious reception area too and can see why bigger families needing a suite would choose this resort.

I fell quite lucky in the planning stakes on BBB day and bagged a table at the Grand Floridian for the buffet with Cinderalla, Prince Charming and the stepsisters. They were great interactions and DD was uncharacteristically quite shy with the Prince! Got some lovely pics though and hats off to these cast members for creating a fabulous atmosphere.
I feel the need to also thank our waiter who introduced me to the grapefruit beer on their menu after they had sold out of the fruit cider - I managed to even get some from Tesco recently and yes, it was as good as I remember!

So good it merits its own picture... 🤣
Old 5 Jun 22, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Great report and fantastic pictures, thanks for sharing and congratulations on your new arrival!
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 22, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Dr.JumbaJookiba View Post
Great report and fantastic pictures, thanks for sharing and congratulations on your new arrival!
Thank you very much 😊 Our next trip will definitely be a little different, but still lots of dining I want to try - perhaps a bit more QS for a change!