Old 20 Jan 09, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3
The long trip down under part 2

Those of you who have only been to Florida and not the east coast can relate a bit to the "waking up early on first morning" syndrome. That first morning in DW when the body clock gets you up at 4. Well imagine another 3 hours on the body clock and you'll understand why we woke up about 2am! Despite staying up as late as we could it didn't make any difference. DS2 was drinking lots and lots of water and we were still worried about him. Myself and DS1 went for a walk along an empty Downtown Disney at about 4:30am, where it was very quiet and peaceful and a really nice walk. We had a character breakfast booked in the Grand California so headed back to get ready. Arriving back to the hotel room and DS2 had been sick again. That put pay to our breakfast! I hate missing ADRs too...I feel like I've let them down lol. I popped out to the little cafe they've got in the DLH and bought drinks, muffins and fruit and picked myself a free coffee up from the lobby. They provide them free to hotel guests from 6:30. After a while we decided that DS2 wasn't going to be sick again so thought it best to head into the park and do the best we could with him in a stroller.

We took the Monorail from the DTD stop which was a short stoll from the Dreams building. I normally like to enter parks by the front gate as nothing beats that first view of the castle down main street and its my standard video on every holiday but with DS2 in my arms we took the easy route! Saying that, it did make a nice change and there are some good views from the BRAND NEW version 6? monorail. It even leans as it goes round corners! We got deposited in Tomorrow land and asked around for a stroller... to be told by a cast member that we would have to go right back to the front of the park! Couldn't believe it lol. On the way we stopped off in Mickeys Star Traders (or the equivalent store) and bought "stuff" as normal. While paying I asked on the off chance if there was anywhere else to hire strollers from...she said yes, you can hire from me! Turns out there are 2 locations in the whole of the park and by chance I'd found the second! So we tucked up DS2 and myself and DS1 went to try Space Mountain.

I'll say now that I had a list of "Must Do's" in Disney on this trip. A list of those rides that were either not in Florida or were different enough and better to warrant a ride. Space Mountain and Pirates fell into the latter category while Voyage of Nemo and a lot of rides in the California adventure fall into the former. We did Splash mountain on the last trip and were disappointed with it compared to one of my top 3 Orlando rides so that was NOT on the list.

So into Space Mountain and BOY is it a goody! A proper full on coaster thats closer to Rock'n'Roller than SM in the MK. We both loved it and I do hope the rehab to the MK version is more than just cosmetic this year!

From there we headed to the castle and onwards to Toon Town so that DS2 could meet Mickey. I was feeling sorry for him at this point and despite being ill he kept asking for Mickey so Mickey it was! We passed Its a Small World on the way and it reminded me from the last trip how nice it is. You board outside and the models and landscaping are really nice!

A quick word here about the park as a whole. We think its far prettier than MK. Ok its a smaller park that fits more in it but its just done so well and is a really nice place to walk around. Obviously DW is a better holiday destination but we think on balance that the magic of Disney is stronger in DL and we prefer it.

Anyway, onwards to Toon town. Its far far bigger than MK (sorry I'll stop comparing the two parks soon lol) and is full of great things for kids to do.

The trams were not running but there were characters just milling about to meet people including Goofy and Minnie. It was still fairly quiet so we went through Mickeys house towards the meeting area. This got DS2 excited and for a few minutes he shrugged off his illness and I carried him into Mickeys house. The house is really really nice. Its completely interactive which is great for someone like me who always seems to manage to set the alarm off by leaning too far in Mickeys Orlando residence!

Here's me and DS2, as you can see, Mickeys house got him up lol

the queue to see the main man was hidden away and longer than expected but we got there in the end and both our DSs got to have a hug and their pictures taken. I missed the hugs (I ordered the pictures online from Disney when we got back) and managed to get a group pic instead...

As the day wore on DS2 went further down hill. He slept while we took turns going on Pirates which has to be said is Awesome in DL. Its worth the entry fee alone and goes on for a good 15 mins! A must see if you ever go. Don't dismiss it as the same as Florida.

The Mrs and DS1 queued up for the Haunted mansion which they said they really enjoyed. Apparently the Halloween decorations are not just the odd mask here and there...its a total makeover.

Asleep outside the Haunted Mansion..

There was just time to drive Autopia which again is far far better, even with an "off road" section. DS2 was feeling bad and we were all tired so rather than over do our first day we decided to head back to the hotel. Little did I know that I wouldn't step foot in either park again!

We got back to the hotel room and I went out to look for dinner. Taking a stroll round the grounds of the Disneyland hotel looking for the fast food outlet reminded me how gorgeous the place is. Everything is themed, some of it very cleverly done. Nothing is left as just part of a hotel. We had some burgers and nachos, none of which we ate much off as were not that hungry despite not eating much all day. Jet lag really helps your diet! lol

We woke up early again the next day and DS2 was even worse. His cough he'd had from before we left for holiday was worse than ever and his temp higher than at any point. I contacted the front desk to ask for details of local medical centre and they told me to phone 911?!?!?!?! I said he wasn't that bad and they explained that it only took me to Disney security and that I could ask for the free onsite nurse who would help. After double checking they were sure I called 911. The nurse was great and after asking a few questions had a security guard bring up a thermometer, details of local medical centers and a big Minnie Nurse sticker! He had a very high temperature and we realised he was only getting worse.

Not wanting to ruin everyones trip I told the Mrs to take DS1 out to a park for the morning and I'd take our patient into a drop in centre and get some antibiotics as I thought it was a chest infection. I could be in there and out in a couple of hours and we could meet at lunch!

So off I went and off they went (although DW was NOT happy about not being with DS2 while he was ill!) They went back to DL and managed to do a few rides including Nemo which apparently was really good. That was my number 1 must do ride as well. Oh well.

A couple of lonely pictures in the park...

My son LOVES pizza! lol

Meanwhile I was at the medical centre/ER room. They put DS2 on a drip and said he was dehydrated. Then they tested all sorts and even took x rays for his chest. They next thing we know he's being transfered to CHOC hospital! Turns out he had the Adenode virus or something. Even had a form of conjuntivitus(sp?) (that came and went and is linked to the virus) and all sorts. Without going into everything to bore you... we spent the rest of our time in LA at the hospital. DS2 on a drip on one arm and heart monitor on the other. He didn't eat a thing in that time and we felt so worried for him. I needed to get cash out for the taxi fares there and back as only DW could stay overnight with him at the hospital and I hadn't budgeted for much cash. Guess what...Natwest stopped my card in the machine! Turns out afterwards that the US is a high fraud area! And I thought it was Nigeria! (that coast me over £20 in phone calls to sort out! ) The security at the hospital was really tight but all the Security guards were amazing. They couldn't help us enough and sorted out all the taxis for me and every sentence was followed by a SIR. The hospital and staff were great but we needed to catch a flight at 10 oclock at night on our last day which was then 14 hours to Sydney! I contacted the claims company again and they said to call them as soon as I knew we wouldn't make it and they would do the rearranging for us. Trouble was my sister was booked into a hotel in Sydney to meet us and we had onward flights up the coast the day after arrival! The doc understood the position we were in and at 15:00 we were given leave to check him out of hospital. He was not in a good way but the doc was happy he'd been hydrated enough and that the virus was under control for us to take him.

DS2 not long before we left CHOC..

The Disney hotel had been great and allowed us a really late check out at no charge. So back to the hotel and a quick shower for DW who'd been in her clothes since going into hospital. I rushed out to DTD to buy a couple of gifts so we had something for our trip. A big Wall.e for DS2 a flying jacket for DS1 and a Minnie keyring for DW and it was off to the airport.

That evening was horrible. We should never have taken him out of hospital but here we were about to get on a 14 hour flight with him. It wasn't fair on him and DW let me know it wasn't fair! But I had to make a decision and the cost and upheavel if we didn't catch it doesn't bear thinking about! If I could have clicked my fingers and been meeting my big sis at the arrivals area in Sydney I would have done. As it was, we got on the flight and were all so tired after the previous few days we fell asleep before take off! They woke us up to ask if we wanted our meals (come on...its 11 at night! ) and that was last thing I remember until about 4 hours from Sydney!

So that was Disneyland LA! All that money and all that planning and DS2 and I got 1 day in the DL park while the others got 1 1/2. None of us got into The California adventure. Soooo glad we bought that multi day hopper pass lol! What we saw of the park, hotel and DTD we LOVED. Its a place we really want to go back to...but this time, without the hospital trip please!

The silver lining to all this...we still had the next 3 weeks in Oz... !
Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15
Vancouver and Pacific NW 16
Canadian and US Road Trip 18
The short hop over the pond trip report
The Long Trip Down Under trip report

Cannavar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 09, 08:24 AM  
Link to this Post
juless77
Imagineer

Oh how awful for you all especially ds.. hope things get better for you
Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando Feb 2010
Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando Sept 2011/2013
juless77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 09, 09:04 AM  
Link to this Post

OMG - hope things improved for you. Looking forward to the rest.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 09, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
tiggerfan144
Imagineer

tiggerfan144's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Oh no what a terrible trip. Glad your son was ok in the end though

Howard Johnson Maingate west (1995), Villa (1997), Gateway Inn (1999), Sheraton World (2000), Rodeway Inn (2002), Springhill Suites (2004), Caribbean Beach/Crowne Plaza (2006) AKL/HRH/Rodeway inn (2009)

And Becky makes four
tiggerfan144 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 09, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post

What a trip, things can only get better.
Old 22 Jan 09, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
kissimmee girl
Imagineer

oh how awful for you! my husband got ill and went into celebration hospital 2 years ago. it was so stressfull. celebration is a great hospital though and so clean.

Looking forward to part 3, hope there is no more traumas?
kissimmee girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 09, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post

Sorry to hear about the traumatic LA trip, i hope the Australia leg goes a lot smoother! I'm looking forward to reading more, when's the next installment coming?
Old 26 Jan 09, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
Originally Posted by ukdiva View Post
Sorry to hear about the traumatic LA trip, i hope the Australia leg goes a lot smoother! I'm looking forward to reading more, when's the next installment coming?
Thanks The next installment is on its way but we have a birthday meal tonight and its football tomorrow night so fingers crossed Wednesday

I didn't realise how much work went into each one lol
Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15

Cannavar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 09, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post

Ohhh Im hooked! cant wait for an update Your poor DS, you must have been frantic with worry Hope he reovered enough to enjoy his time in OZ!
Old 30 Jan 09, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
Working on it! Hopefully tonight!
Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15