Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3
The long trip down under part 11

San Fran and the End

So we come to the final trip report. It had been a long trip and we were entering our 5th week but we ended the trip on a high. San Fran is a lovely city and one we really want to go back to soon. DW struggled a bit with jet lag (more on that in a minute) and it rained for a bit but it was a great few days and we loved it.

We arrived the morning of the 1st Jan 2009. It was a few hours earlier than we had taken off from Sydney but believe me the flight felt a LOT longer! We had every type of person on the flight. The kid kicking the back of the chair while the parents slept, the rude demanding ones and the one who decided to take my bag out of the over head compartment so they could fit theirs in there instead?!? Needless to say we didn't get much sleep on the 15/16 hour flight. That coupled with the time difference and the lack of sleep from the night before in Sydney for the fireworks meant we were zonked, but DW had it worst! The temperature was in the teens which was quite a shock leaving 36 in Sydney!

We used Go shuttle to take us from the airport to our hotel. We were staying in the Argonaut right on Fisherman's Walk, a gorgeous hotel full of character and amazing staff. It's right next to the tram turntable and with views towards the Golden Gate. We checked in and I had to drag DW off the bed to go out for a walk. We didn't do much that day aside from a little walk to get bearings and then stop for a Mcdonalds. We had that post flight haze I hate so much that even takes your appetite away.

The next morning I popped round to Starbucks for a Gingerbread Latte and breakfast. It was lovely strolling along the front early in the morning with no one around even if it was a bit wet! The forecast showed it was set in for the day but we had a duck to find so we headed on out! DW didn't have a proper coat so that was our first job and an easy one it was too. A store was closing down right next to the hotel and were selling everything including the tills! She manged to pick up a Sarah Jessica Parker goose down jacket for $9! Bargain of the trip.

We had lunch and then joined up with our captain for the Bay Quackers duck tour! We knew we would all be tired on this day when planning and had chosen this as easier then doing a land and sea tour separately. The sea part was a bit of a let down as the route wasn't too exciting but the whole tour was great fun and we would recommend it. The boys especially loved the "quackers" they gave us too!

Our duck..

DS and myself being silly...

DS driving! When on water you don't need a license! lol

The mist and drizzle was starting to lift as we arrived back to the Wharf and Alcatraz was finally coming into view..

The mob (including DW in new jacket ;-) )

The rest of the afternoon was spent sightseeing. The weather was getting better all the while and by the time we were coming out of the Bay Aquarium at pier 39 it was almost blue sky. We stopped by the sea lions to say hi and of course looked round Chocolate heaven!

Not many sea lions around today..

This is more like it..

Our last full day on holiday..

The famous sign..

We stopped at the Rain Forest cafe for dinner. We all agreed that it was the best we had ever been in and as experts in the field, the boys know what they are talking about too! It had a great "treehouse" 3rd floor and a really nice under the sea section that we were in. The food was plentiful but the jet lag was catching up with us and nobody cleaned off their plates.

Back in the hotel I took a few photos of the place. I really can't recommend it enough. They will even bring fish up to you room if you'd like them and pets are allowed!

The fireplace in the lobby..

Xmas tree by the lift..

Our room (photos don't do it justice!) Oh and I forgot the pictures of the animal print bed wear you can buy in the cupboard ;-)

The hotel has great views!

The next day we got up early to pack and say goodbye to our amazing holiday. Our last photos taken outside the hotel that morning..

Bags packed and waiting for the shuttle outside the hotel..

And the final image of the holiday as we leave San Fran for London..

San Fran had been a nice middle step between the 36 degrees of Sydney on the day we left and the -4 of Heathrow on the 4th Jan when we got back! That was a shock!

It had been quite a trip and a long one at that. Never before had we been together all day every day for over a month. It something everyone should do if they can afford it and can find the time. Its a holiday we will always look back on with all our pictures and video and will treasure for the rest of our lives. We'd been past the other side of the world and come all the way back... we'd changed times zones almost daily and climates weekly. We hope the boys will remember some of it as they grow up and we very much hope we will do it again very soon. Whether its for a month again is something we'll have to see nearer the time!

I hope you enjoyed the trip report as much as we enjoy rereading it all the time lol. At time of finishing this we are a week away from our "short" trip to Disney World. 8 hour flight? Thats just a short hop isn't it?
Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15
Vancouver and Pacific NW 16
Canadian and US Road Trip 18
The short hop over the pond trip report
The Long Trip Down Under trip report

Cannavar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 09, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

I really like the sound of the Argonaut hotel, looks like you had a nice end to your holiday
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 09, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
Thanks Judy, its not cheap but its worth every penny and you can get some great deals.
Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15

Cannavar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 09, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post

Have loved reading your trip report and San Fran looks fab we are looking at California for our Honeymoon and both of the hotles you stayed at in the USA look fab. Aus looked amazing but I don't know how you managed all of those flights!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 09, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Fairy+4
Dibbing with Tink

Fairy+4's Reviews
It sounds like you had an amazing hoilday, it really is lovely to spend all that time with family, we look forward to our summers in Florida for exactly that reason.

Thank-you so much for taking the time to share your holiday with us xx
Old 5 Aug 09, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
BIGDENNIS10UK
Imagineer

thanks fort that, it really looked great.

you can tell me to shut and mind my own business if you want, but i was just wodnering about the cost of a holiday like that?

thanks
BIGDENNIS10UK is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 09, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
lol...we've never worked it out thankfully! The flights were not the cheapest (that was via Canada?!) but strangely they were cheaper than flying eastward. For the time of the year (start of Dec) they were around £3,700 for 2 adults 2 kids). I took it as good value as the stopovers in LA and San Fran cost nothing and so were "free" extra holidays to me. It was a lot more via the usual suspects of Dubai, Hong Kong etc.. Obviously other times of the year are a bit cheaper.

The hotels were all booked sperately over the 10 months of planning. The Disneyland in LA was the most expense and must have been around 200 a night.

God not sure I would know how to start working it out?! The credit card when we got home was about £2,500 and that was having paid for a lot of the hotels. I had no choice on the expensive hirecar for a week as it was xmas and all the others were all gone but the cost is part of the credit card bill. Bearing in mind we stayed at my Sisters for quite a few nights too we saved a fair bit there.

Best value for money were the internal flights and the hotel in the great barrier reef.

Sorry, don't think the above helps much does it... I'm ashamed to say I didn't really keep track.
Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15

Old 5 Aug 09, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
BIGDENNIS10UK
Imagineer

haha, probably better off mate haha

just pay it off, forget the bill and remember the memories.
BIGDENNIS10UK is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 09, 09:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
Originally Posted by BIGDENNIS10UK View Post
haha, probably better off mate haha

just pay it off, forget the bill and remember the memories.
Spot on!
Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15

Old 5 Aug 09, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post

Great report, i really enjoyed reading it and remembering my trip to Oz, i visited a lot of the places you went to - GBR, Blue Mountains, Senic World etc so it brings back memories.

I'm currently planning a trip to Australia via the USA next Aug/Sept, and costing it up is scary! *lol*
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List