Old 26 Apr 10, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Alyson
VIP Dibber

Alyson's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Our Sneaky Grown Up Universal Week Sept 09

We had already booked our 2009 two week Florida Holiday for me DH DD and DDís friend, when Leanne1977 posted about some crazy pricing for the Loews Hotels at Universal Studios that Netflights were offering.

After a quick search we found that we could book a Club Room at the Portofino Bay Hotel for £570 for the week!

We had two free PE upgrades to use via our Virgin Atlantic credit card, so we used 50,000 points to book economy seat and used the upgrades. We just had to pay the tax.

We used Car on the Drive so that DH didnít have to drive and could have a drink on the plane if he fancied one. I got my Universal Tickets from ebay

So that was that! We were all booked.

After checking in online, we travelled down to the airport and had a very quick Twilight check-in, by this time I'm so giddy I could burst .

Next on to the Crowne Plaza at Gatwick, we were upgraded to an Executive room which was very nice indeed . A quick wander down to TGIís for a bite to eat before returning for a glass of bubbly in the bath ... Bliss

Crown Plaza - Gatwick

We were up bright and early, we met our meet and greet chap at the airport and handed over the car. We had been given a fast pass for security and only had to queue for about 10 minutes.

The No1 Lounge at Gatwick was more than adequate, it was a little busy because they were taking in virgin customers because the Virgin lounge was undergoing a refurb. I thought it was great value for money and I would use it again

No 1 Lounge Gatwick

The fight was on time, and once I had changed into my PJís and got comfy the flight was fine, I had lots to keep me occupied, Iím a bit like a kid, I need something new to do about every hour LOL!

We landed on time, cleared customs in under 20 minutes, We met the chap from Car on the Drive with no problems and went straight to the Portofino Bay Hotel. We arranged for our car to be dropped of the next morning as we didnít need it straight away.

The check in was easy and the hotel was stunning, our club room was really spacious and I loved it. I was sooooo giddy

Our Room & View

The Hotel & Club Room

The club room was very nice and relaxed, offering a light breakfast and snacks during the day including beer and wine on an evening. It also had two PCís with free internet access

Within 2.5 hours of landing we were in City Walk having a lovely cold beer (non alcoholic didnít want to fall asleep)

I have decided not to bore you with the rest of the weeks activities, I just thought I would post some pics instead.

We spent the week dipping in and out of the parks on a morning, swimming, I ran 15 miles whilst there, the gym is great at the Portofino. The Villa pool which is more of an adults pool was virtually empty all the time.

We shopped and ate at some lovely places and drank some fab cocktails.
I loved staying here so much so we have added a 5 day stop at the Portofino into our next trip.

It was VERY relaxing I loved been able to walk to the parks
Alyson is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 10, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Alyson
VIP Dibber

Alyson's Reviews
More Pics

Portofino Bay Hotel

MiB

The Hulk

Jurassic Park

Night Time Ė Thirsty Fish
Alyson is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 10, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Alyson
VIP Dibber

Alyson's Reviews
Even More

Where Did You Get That Hat

Night Time View from our Balcony

Night Out City Walk

Bar Crawl Ė City Walk
Old 26 Apr 10, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
FLAFantastic
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Fab pics! I shouldn't wish my life away but can't wait to go on holiday without the kids! And I thought Orlando was just for kids! Ha! Big ones, like me!
FLAFantastic is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 10, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
mcsue
VIP Dibber

Some fun pics there Aly. Looks like my kind of holiday!
I must say you are looking as gorgeous as ever - even with blue hair!

The photo in your siggy has been making me laugh for ages

Heís a veggie - Iím not! So where do we eat on our Disney holidays?

Click here for a feast of food photos and a peppering of personal opinions!
mcsue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 10, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Alyson
VIP Dibber

Alyson's Reviews
Originally Posted by mcsue View Post
The photo in your siggy has been making me laugh for ages
If DH knew I used that photo I'm sure he wouldn't be pleased
Old 26 Apr 10, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
rylisal
Imagineer

Great pics...how do you get them like yours?

Thanks for posting, we're staying at RPR this trip & cant wait!

So looking forward to being able to walk or boat to the parks & we can have a drinkie in the evenings as DH wont have to drive!
Miami 1991(honeymoon!),Quality Inn Int Dv 1992,Buenaventura lakes Villa 1993,Quality Inn Int Dv 1995,Quality Inn Int dv 1997,Days Inn Lakeside 2000,Masters Inn Maingate 2002,Ramada Plaza MGate 2004, Liki Tiki Feb 2007 & Disney Wonder Cruise,DLP Feb '08,Terre Verde,DCL & Indian Shores Oct '08,Canada Aug09,June/July '10 CP & RPR, Feb/Mar '14 Mystic Dunes, Unversals RPR & POR, June/July '16 Florida road trip Sept '18 DLP!
rylisal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 10, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Alyson
VIP Dibber

Alyson's Reviews
Originally Posted by rylisal View Post
Great pics...how do you get them like yours?:
Thank you

I use Picassa it's got a collage feature and then I use photobucket
Old 26 Apr 10, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
joanna23
Imagineer

joanna23's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
Love the photos, so creative!
August 2006 RPR & Rosen Plaza; August 2008 RPR & Regal Sun; August 2009 RPR & Buena Vista Palace; July/August 2010 RPR & SSR; July/August 2011 & 2012 Loews Miami Beach, RPR & SSR; 2013 SSR & RPR: 2014 Rosen Plaza, SSR & RPR; 2015 Renaissance, RPR & SSR
joanna23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 10, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Alyson
VIP Dibber

Alyson's Reviews
Originally Posted by joanna23 View Post
Love the photos, so creative!
Thank you - it's really easy to do, the programme does the work for you so I can't really take the credit