Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 4 Feb 11, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
lcm23
Very Serious Dibber

Help... stressed with panick attacks UPDATED see post #17

Hi all, I posted earlier in week about me having heart palpitations which i now believe could have been caused by stress. Although I've only had one more very brief episode since my stay in hospital I cannot relax. I've got myself in a right tizzy and made myself worse by panicking over it. Although I do feel a bit better in my mind for having a good cry and talk to both mum and husband last night, the queezy feeling in my stomach is still there. This is partly cos I have hardly eaten since the weekend I know but it's also cos it is in knots from nerves. It's the same feeling I get when I'm really nervous about something like a job interview for example but cos my mind is a little fragile after been scared half to death with the heart palpitations at the weekend it's making me feel worries which brings on the panic... vicious circle! I've been to drs in the week and he said it is all anxiety symptoms caused by me worrying about the heart palpitations (which I will point out that tests have confirmed my heart is completely fine). He said I should get on with my normal life as much as possible and stop worrying. Problem is im struggling as as soon as I think im ok to do something my stomach knots up. I've never experienced stress/anxiety before either so it's making me upset that I feel this way and just don't feel myself.

The point of my post though is has anyone tried any over counter stress remedies which have helped. I think once I go out and feel normal I will stop the worrying. I'm also supposed to be going to lanzarote on Sunday so im prepared to try anything that might help

Sorry for rambling and spelling mistakes! X

Edited at 10:51 AM.
lcm23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 11, 02:03 PM  
Link to this Post
minijaffacake
Very Serious Dibber

minijaffacake's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Hello Sis

I tried Kalms years ago when I was really stressing over an exam I was doing and couldnt sleep for worrying about it. They did seem to help but I dont know if it was just psychological or not. Cant hurt to give them a go tho.

Hope you're feeling better soon and it doesnt spoil your holiday .

Jo
x
minijaffacake is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 11, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post
lcm23
Very Serious Dibber

Mums gone to chemist to get me some. I think I'd feel so much better if I could muster up the energy and enthusiasm to go out but as soon as I think about it my stomach starts then I start feeling shaky. It's just not like me to feel like this and I don't like it.
lcm23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 11, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Bobsledwheels
Imagineer

Bobsledwheels's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 16
Hey don't worry! Easier said than done though I know!

I got diagnosed with a panic disorder last year - and was put onto sertraline (spelling?) to help. I have tried kalms as well and they work occasionally but they aren't really an ongoing help.

The best way I found was pure and simple - distraction. I had to be literally distracted out of a panic attack by someone else, asking questions etc that my brain would work on. This stopped my brain telling my body it was panicing about something and so therefore the attack lessened. It didnt always work in the beginning but after a while it really did - and now I havent had an attack for months.

The topics that worked were always ones that I would want to talk about - like Disney holidays etc. Something that required thought but not as taxing as a mathematical equation!

You need to find your own way of working through it though- just don't let it control you!

Best of luck!

USA: Jan 07 10n off-site // Jan 12 5n NYC, 11n I-Drive //
Oct 14 3 wks - Honeymoon! YC // Oct 16 Orlando 14n OKW // May 17 2n Cali adv & DL // Dec 18 10n AKL

PARIS: Sept 12 3n at SL // Nov 13 4n SL // Nov 15 4n SL (cut short) // Nov 16 4n NPB
TOKYO // HONG KONG: April 16 4 Days TKDL & TKDS // May 16 1 Day HKDL
CRUISES: Oct 14 4n Bahamian // June 15 7n Norwegian inaugural // Sept 15 11n WBTA // May 17 5n West coast // May 17 7n Alaskan // Dec 18 4n Bahamian
Bobsledwheels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 11, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post

This will be difficult with your stomach being so upset but try to get some exercise. Swimming would be ideal as you have to control your breathing. Even try some deep calming breaths. Try to keep busy as this will help occupy your mind and stop the whirling panicky thoughts. Try to make yourself something soothing and easy to eat like chicken soup. Make it from stratch. The mundane tasks of slicing and dicing will help calm you. Hope you feel better soon.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 11, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Leanne1977
Imagineer

Leanne1977's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
I feel for you, I really do. The best advice I can give is don't let the panic get a hold on you. You have to try and beat it. I gave in to it and had months of anxiety.
Its easier said than done but try not to let it consume you.

I agree about the distraction but don't depend on others. I depended heavily on my husband when I was going through it to the point that he had to take 4 weeks off work. It was really hard when he had to go back.
I tried Kalms which helped a little but I ended up having to go to the docs and getting meds for it.

WDW Villa Jul/Aug 2005
DLP SL Jan/Feb 2006, DCR Feb 2007, Cheyenne Feb 2008, NB Nov 2009, Ibis July 2010
WDW Pop Sept 2006
WDW ASM/HRH/POP Sept 2007 free DDP
WDW Regal Sun/SSR/CIAS May 2008
WDW CIAS/RPR/Cypress Pointe GV Aug 2008
WDW Highgate Park/AKV/BCV Dec 2008
WDW SSR/Pop May 2009
WDW RPR/BCV/BWV/VB/VWL/OKW/Kidani/DCL Jul/Aug 2009
WDW Dibb Villa/Regal Sun May 2010
WDW BCV/VB/DCL Oct/Nov 2010 Wedding trip!
WDW SSR/Dibb Villa/VB Oct 2011 1st wedding anniversary trip!
WDW OKW/VB/Peabody Aug 2013
Leanne1977 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 11, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
lcm23
Very Serious Dibber

For those of you who have suffered with panic attacks and stress before did you feel ok/normal when in the safe confines of your house? I keep feeling ok whilst lying in bed but then I get up and feel all jittery again and end up back in bed. I really want to go out for a bit in my mind but my body is telling me otherwise. Argh
Old 4 Feb 11, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
angel81uk
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Relaxation techniques can be really helpful for stress and anxiety, I thoroughly recommend a short relaxation session on a daily basis even when everything is fine!

Try and take 15 minutes to sit in a comfortable chair in a quiet room. Sit with both feet on the floor, legs uncrossed and arms by your sides, close your eyes and concentrate on your breathing. There's no need to take big deep breaths or any of that in through the nose, out through the mouth stuff, just breath in and out slowly and naturally. After about a minute of breathing think about your feet relaxing, imagine all the tension being released and them starting to feel more relaxed and heavy. Then work your way up to your calves and knees, then up to your thighs, hips and buttocks. If at any point you feel you're tensing up, take a few breaths and start again at your feet and work your way up. Slowly work your way up the body, through the stomach, chest and shoulders, down the arms and hands and up the neck to the face and head.

Once you're nice and relaxed imagine you're somewhere warm and comfortable where you're happy. It could be snuggled up in your bed, on a warm beach beach somewhere or lounging round a pool in Florida. Anywhere you feel warm, safe, happy and comfortable. If you're on a beach imagine the feel of the sun on your skin, the sand beneath you, the gentle crashing of the waves etc. If you're in bed imagine the warm, comfortable weight of the duvet, the feel of freshly washed sheets, the sound of birdsong outside the window.

Sit for a few minutes imagining yourself in your happy place, keeping relaxed and your breathing natural and easy. Once you feel thoroughly relaxed slowly start to bring yourself back to your surroundings. Think about your breathing again, listen to the real noises around you and slowly open your eyes. Sit for a moment and take in your surroundings before slowly starting to move and get up.

It can feel a bit odd to start with and difficult to properly relax, but with practice it gets much easier and you'll. Try and do it on a daily basis and get used to the feeling of being completely relaxed. Once you've got the hang of it you can use the technique to when you start to feel stressed to head off an anxiety attack.
10 Nights SSR October 2016
angel81uk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 11, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Moleymole
Imagineer

Hi, my attacks began with palpatations and many heart tests etc. I have suffered for years and have to have prescription drugs to calm me when it gets really bad. You must be reeling from all of this as it is new to you but sooo many people suffer. If im honest I avoid lots of things incase I have an attack and would much rather hide under the duvet. Dont be afraid to go back to your gp if you feel this is taking hold, sometimes just knowing I have medication calms me down and dont often take them.
OKW again 2015 and Anna Maria
2017 Contemporary Resort & Anna Maria
ALWAYS AUGUST!

August 2022 my 50th! - Universal Hardrock Hotel, Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk villas, Polynesian, Anna Maria Island.

Edited at 03:45 PM.
Moleymole is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 11, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post

Why not head to your GP and get an ECG or a 24-hour heart monitor?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread