Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Closed Thread

Old 13 Sep 12, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post

Best park to visit on 5 November

We are due to be in Orlando on Bonfire night and am just wondering which is the best Disney park to see the fireworks at. Are they extra special for this night? Thanks
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 12, 11:18 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

I don't think the US celebrates the burning at the stake of a man who tried to blow up the houses of parliament, but I could be wrong x

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 12, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Bolto6
Imagineer

I've not been at bonfire night but I can't imagine they do anything different as it's a British thing. I bet they all think we're mad celebrating a failed plot to blow up parliament.
Bolto6 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 12, 11:50 PM  
Link to this Post
kimmy
Imagineer

No they don t have anything ,its a brit thing.But they certainly know how to put on an amazing fireworks displays on in the Parks... LOL !
Old 14 Sep 12, 08:10 AM  
Link to this Post

USA does not celebrate Nov 5th ,bonfire night, (was originally the end of the pagan year) as the event celebrates an unsuccesful attempt to blow up the british parliment... USA prefers to celebrate success and do so on July 4th when they successfully kicked us out.

Why do we a celebrate failure?

Edited at 03:45 PM.
Old 14 Sep 12, 08:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Bella1
Imagineer

Bella1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
Since it is only a British tradition there is nothing special. If Wishes is on then I would head there to get my firework fix!

We are usually home a couple of days before Bonfire night but no longer go to any displays here because after only seeing Wishes or Epcot a couple of days before all the British displays pale in to insignificance!
Bella1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 12, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post

100% Wishes at Magic Kingdom. Illuminations at Epcot is brilliant, until you see Wishes.
Old 14 Sep 12, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by MrB View Post
USA does not celebrate Nov 5th ,bonfire night, (was originally the end of the pagan year) as the event celebrates an unsuccesful attempt to blow up the british parliment... USA prefers to celebrate success and do so on July 4th when they successfully kicked us out.

My understanding is that they were trying to blow up King James who was due at parliament that day (opening possibly). I think it was another one of those Protestant/Catholic things . He designated it a day of celebration when they failed (fair enough I suppose and kind of a success for him).
I believe it's still quite big in Newfoundland, which is a little bit closer if the OP is really desperate.
Old 14 Sep 12, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MrB View Post

LOL July is also a much better time to stand outside watching fireworks! After 22 years in the UK I still struggle with finding any enjoyment in standing in cold rain in a muddy field watching a bonfire or fireworks.

I made a real effort when my oldest DD was 5. I couldn't really explain why the Scouts had built an effigy of Cliff Richard and his Summer Holiday Bus and set them on fire! She was terrified and I felt abit disturbed as we were on the grounds of a Catholic Church.

Have to agree that most Americans will have never hear of Bonfire Night.
Old 14 Sep 12, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
llamala
Imagineer

Bonfire night is my DH birthday and he loved a firework party until we started going to Disney, now all the stuff we try to do at home seems laaamme.LOL
We enjoy the firworks in center parcs if we can get a good deal for his bday.
Only managed 1 birthday in DIsney
llamala is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread