Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 7 Oct 12, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Disney Feast West&East Day 17: Return of the Satnav at 1900 PF & Hoop DeDoo Revue

Today is a LIE IN so of course I am awake super early ...

I enjoy sitting out on the balcony with my coffee watching the early morning golfers who are sensibly avoiding heatstroke. Around 9ish the others surface which is still loads of time before we need to set off for our late breakfast at 1900 Park Fare.

I am looking forward to this and snooping about the Grand Floridian. It will only be a 15 minute drive so setting off at 1015 gives us plenty of time.

As I get in the car, Andy announces that he has entered “the Floridian” into the SatNav and we are good to go. Of course “ the Floridian” is a term of affection and not THE actual name of the venue. As I start to say something there is a tirade which goes along the lines of "cant I just not interfere for once and I am giving him a complex about never being right". So I say no more, after all what can possibly go wrong.

So, 10 minutes later, as we are leaving WDW to head up to I Drive , I do venture that it seems odd to be going off Disney property when we are going to a Disney hotel but maybe the SatNav knows a secret way. Or maybe not, as we arrive some 17 miles further away and pull up outside FunSpot I am forced to blurt out that this just isn’t the right way.

To which I am asked why I didn’t say anything earlier and that I am,apparently, just being difficult .

I contemplate using the SatNav for purposes other than it was originally intended but as we are now late and I am not insured to drive, I concede that we are now only going to get there in time if Andy is still alive and able to drive, which rules out most of my currently intended actions and so I decide to just reset the address, say nothing and remember to chalk this one up for discussion later.

Who would have thought there was more than one “Floridian” hotel in Florida , spooky huh.

So , we go back onto WDW property and totally miss the resort guest signs at Magic Kingdom and end up in the car park. Things really are bleak and we are now really late. So we leave the car park by a route that isn’t strictly laid out and find ourselves at the entrance again where a helpful CM gets us on the right track.

Strangely enough, I am not quite so looking forward to breakfast now. Andy drops us off in reception and we are handed a pager but not told where to wait.

We then have to hang around while he walks several miles as he refused to valet park and no one told him self parking was actually closer to that other Floridan hotel in I Drive than this one.

Finally he arrives and we have our happy smiley family picture. You would never know the very unDisney thoughts that were crossing our minds .

and yes, this is a picture of a picture , while waiting for our photopass pics, which will be here soon, yippee

For self preservation reasons, I took this, in case we forgot where we were staying and the satnav tooks us to the Miami Keys...

they forgot the " and all satnavs shall perish in hell" , bit.

the swanky GF

Who let in this rabble ?

I am sure that all this affects my first impressions of the GF – especially 1900PF. Its busy, bordering on chaotic and some of the CMs are , well, a bit off . The lobby area is really busy – It must be due to the breakfast guests but it strikes me that it would put me off staying here if it gets like this around all the mealtimes. Not a very “relaxing” atmosphere at all.

Our pager finally goes off, and we are seated, some 30 minutes after our original ADR time and only just before they close. Its really noisy and as we are led to our seats all I can see are tables that haven’t been cleared, food all over the carpet and it feels more like a toddlers birthday party than a $100+ dining venue. I am really disappointed.

That must be the downside of arriving for the end of the slot rather than the beginning.

Our server though is lovely, topping us up all the time with juice and coffee and encouraging the boys to eat more. She really was a treat. The buffet is ok – usual breakfast fare but the lobster benedict and breakfast pizza are an unusual touch. They are a bit slow replacing the Mickey waffles which disappear just as fast as they are put down.

pics to follow ...
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 12, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

It really was heaving and noisy – or did I say that already. The lady opposite us decides to breastfeed her baby, which is fine, that’s her choice and I have been there, but the boys and the Characters don’t know where to look and I have to say I didn’t find that looking at her boobs particularly enhanced my enjoyment of my own breakfast. Its not like I could avoid them , she was in my direct line of sight.

Did I say I was really disappointed yet ?

Even more so when I miss one of the characters but we do get to see Piglet (even with Nick being a dweeb in the photos). Alice comes round, she is tiny and squeaky, the Mad Hatter wishes Jamie a Happy UnBirthday and Mary Poppins tells the boys to Mind Their Manners. I am almost lifted by this but not quite. This was 5 TS and came out at $133. I just don’t think it was good value for money and I now realise that character breakfasts are just not for us.

WE see our photos and decide to buy them. Jamie is in charge of looking after them.

Its around 1pm when we leave and I have lost my enthusiasm to look round the resort.

We set off for the Premium outlets, along with the rest of Orlando, judging by the traffic. We browse round a few stores and **** shopping alert ****** pick up some jeans in Levis, Xmas decs in the Disney outlet and Andy gets a few polo shirts and jumpers in Lacoste. But no-one is really in the mood for shopping and its clearly busy at the weekends. We have lots of time to come back .

As we head back to car we realise we don’t have the photos from earlier and they are not in the boot . So its back to the GF to see if we can find them. They can only be on our table or next to the seat in reception.

But 1900PF is now closed and they can’t possibly look in there and it’s not in the lobby. So I fill in a lost item card and the lady assures me they will look in 1900 PF when it opens. It’s not as if anyone else wants our photos is it?

I am not encouraged though and set off a bit dejected. Its only as I look in my bag that I realise I kept the photopass receipt separate from the pictures so we can in fact get the photo itself re-loaded onto our photopass, it’s just the frame we will have lost. But I don’t tell Jamie, he can just sweat on his carelessness a bit longer
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 12, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

We decided not to purchase this in the Armani store, even though the boxer looked pretty cool !

We are on our way back to OKW and at 3.56 there is an almighty downpour. I made a note of the time as they had said a storm at 4pm and they were right ! It soon passes and we pop into HH to check our DDP credits and pick up our tickets for HDDR tonight. I nearly had heart failure when I saw the receipt at 1900 PF – it looked way out in terms of credits used but the helpful guy at guest services in OKW points out that HDDR has already been deducted even though we hadn’t been yet but would be later. Phew, huge relief.

we took some more pics round the resort

The store was small , but quite a bit of stuff in , jamie and I enjoyed mooching in here

With all the running around, we end up with only an hour or so of down time before we need to set off again. We are not going by car as we do actually want to get there while it is still actually today and we want to make full use of the free beverages on offer.
Old 8 Oct 12, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
SammyScotland
Imagineer

Another great read Amanda.
Old 8 Oct 12, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

We have another 30 minute wait for a Magic Kingdom bus but at least that wont get lost.

We just miss a resort boat so have a small wait but worth it as we really enjoy the boat journey out to Fort Wilderness and arrive at 6.40 so plenty of time.

Ah, the return of the arty bird shot, its been a few days

We have our photo taken and incredibly it’s the same photographer from 1900 PF this morning . Andy explains what has happened and she says she will see what she can do.

Old 8 Oct 12, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

After a bit of hanging about, we are in at 7.15pm. We are at the back but it’s a reasonable view of the stage. The cornbread is just yummy and we enjoy the salad. It struck me what a waste of food there must be though – only Andy and I eat Salad and a much smaller pot would have done .

The show starts and is good fun , then there is a break for the main course

The ribs, beans and mash go down really well, the chicken is so so. Again it strikes me that the level of waste is so high as they replace whole buckets at a time rather than asking what is needed. I am sure people wouldn’t object to say being asked if they want a “whole or half” bucket when it comes to the refills ? I just cant bear the thought of it all being thrown out – especially when only days ago we saw so many homeless people in LA and SF. Anyway, enough of the soapbox.

The show is great , we sing along, clap along, laugh a lot and generally have a really good time. Its good laugh out loud fun. And the free refills keep coming ( and are directly proportionate to how loud Andy is especially when the server puts two jugs of beer in front of him). Andy says its watery beer though so not THAT good. I enjoy the Rose wine , never drunk it out of a jar before but still tastes good.

Old 8 Oct 12, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

The Strawberry Shortcake is divine but we are so stuffed that we cant really do it proper justice .

The boys really enjoy the noisy washboard bit at the end. Its been a crazy fun evening and has put a bit of magic into a decidedly bad day.

And we get a bit of pixie dust when the photographer comes back with our HDDR pics AND another set of our ones from the morning – all framed up and a complete replacement set. Now that is Disney magic. Jamie is totally relieved and I am really very pleased.

This is by far our most expensive meal to date. Its 2 TS and comes to a value of around $225 ( before tax)and with a $42 tip **** see the posts later on, we cant recall if we physically paid this tip or if it was just shown on the receipt as already included , must have had too much wine and beer to remember ******* . Definitely good value on DDP.

We walk down to the buses ( its not well advertised that they are there, I read it on someone elses trippy) ,most people headed off for the boats . The bus is virtually empty ( 3 families , including us on board) even after waiting 15 minutes and makes door to door drops at POR , POFQ and then us at Millers Road. We had set off at 9.30 and home by 10 with Andy singing quite loudly most of the way. The bus driver is a really interesting guy , telling us all about his life as an airline pilot before retiring to Disney and driving these buses.

Unsurprisingly we all head straight for bed .

SatNav Sabotage – off the scale today although not really its fault, user error was mainly to blame but it was convenient for the driver to blame both the box and passengers.

Shopping Count – improving, probably $150 in the 3 stores at Premium Outlets

DDP - 15 TS credits used today. $24 tip at 1900PF and $42 tip at HDDR. We still have 2 surplus CS credits and now a whopping 18 unused snack credits.

Edited at 06:04 PM.
Old 8 Oct 12, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A bit of a mixed day
Old 8 Oct 12, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Ariel's Mum
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Oh dear, We had been thinking og getting a sat nav for next year. I'm not so sure now

Glad your day ended better than it started.

2013 Trippie - Something Old Something New
2011 Trippie Disney & Beyond
2010 Trip Report UNFINISHED

2 weeks WDW '96 ~ Private Villa 2003 ~ Sheraton Village 2005 ~ Sanctuary Westhaven 2006, 2007, 2008 ~ Sarasota 10 days Oct 2008 ~ Windsor Palms 2009 ~ 24 Nights Sabal Harbour Jun 2010 ~ 28 Nights 2011 ~ Watersong/HRH/Rotonda Villa ~ 22 nights Westhaven/CR/AKL/RPR/Rotonda
NOW PLANNING 22 Nights - Orlando/Marco Island
Ariel's Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 12, 11:48 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
a good ending to your day
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List