Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 14 Oct 12, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Disney Feast West&East Day 20 : OKW , Teppan Edo & Illuminations

This is quite rare for us – a lounging around day and taking in the amenities at the resort – having never stayed on site before ,we are keen to see what is on offer and having had a busy day yesterday some nice relaxing time here will be just what we need. The incredible plan had us down to visit the World Showcase at Epcot today but that just feels like too much so staying here definitely feels like the harmonious option !

We are still awake early around 8am so snooze and watch tv intermittently until around 1000. Its another hot morning but if the forecasters are to be believed, we will be breaking out the ponchos later this afternoon.

We set off for the main pool and manage to bag a table and some loungers at the back of the sandcastle slide where it is quite quiet and shaded. The boys try out all the activities like tennis , table tennis, table football, pool and spend time cooling off and splashing about in the pool. Its really great and we make the most of the refill station and have some CS lunch ( burgers ) from Goods to Go.

Time passes quickly and by 3pm we are ready to venture back to the villa to get ready to go out to Epcot this evening. The promised storm doesn’t materialise which may or may not bode well for the fireworks later. We are taking the bus and incredibly one arrives straight away at 4.45 so we are in Epcot by 5pm.

We decide to go on Spaceship Earth

but it breaks down so we are finally let out at 5.30 with some bonus fastpasses for mission space, Maelstrom or Living with the Land – what a curious selection. We take a slow walk over to World Showcase , its very humid and very busy and not really that easy to stop and look at look at things without 20 people stopping right in front of you.

just darn busy !

We pitch up at Teppan Edo at 5.45 for our 6pm ADR. The boys are not sure they are going to enjoy this meal as it’s a]Japanese and b]even worse, they have heard vegetables might make an appearance.

We are seated bang on 6pm . Shingo , our chef, is very funny and we love the volcano trick . The boys are fascinated to watch the meal being prepared – we all choose steak and chicken combinations, except Andy who goes for Steak and Prawn. The meat, noodles and rice are really delicious and it’s a fantastic atmosphere. We are seated on our own but its lively and noisy all around us – really good fun. An unexpected hit ! The only let down is the ginger cake , which is really quite a disappointing “nothing” dessert.

the boys realise the vegetable rumours are true ...

WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 12, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

chopstick cheat alert !

The meal was 5 TS credits with a value of $187 and a $31 tip .

Suitably stuffed , we amble out and decide to explore some of the WS before staking out a spot for Illuminations.

We have reserved the preferred viewing spot but there is some discussion bout exactly how long everyone can be bothered to stand around waiting. Anyway , we head into Karamel Kuche and make up for the disappointing dessert with some sickly purchases. Jamie and Nick buy toffee apples and bags of werthers (really?) . I get a caramel and chocolate pretzel , which is quite dry and not as mouth-wateringly yummy as I had hoped.

the boys debate which werthers are in fact the yummiest

the anticipation of impending illuminations is too much for Connor to cope with

The heavens open and we are forced to take shelter in the Xmas Dec shop while it passes. We have a look in the stores in Italy and France , by which time it is definitely raining intermittently and there is the poncho dilemma – put it on and keep dry on the outside but sweat to death on the inside. Don’t put it on, still sweat to death as its just darn humid and also get soaked at a second’s notice.

We never seem to learn that fireworks and our family just don’t mix. We do love them but the whole hanging about waiting for them is a major pain – as evidenced at Fantasmic and World of Color earlier in the holiday. We are keen to see these ones as our last attempt to see Illuminations was marred by a spectacular family meltdown on our last trip, the likes of which I am sure Norway has never seen since

Keen to avoid a repeat of that , we are watching from the other side of the lake, just in case anyone remembers us

Deciding to settle in for the long haul and that being seated for an hour is in fact a lesser eviil than just aimlessly wandering around and then having a crap spot anyway, we get a seat in the terrace at the side of the Rose and Crown and get some drinks – which last us a very long time. We had checked with the CM on the way in and he had said we were good to stay here as long as we liked – I am surprised more people didn’t pitch up earlier as it all became a bit of a bun fight with half and hour or so to go before the main event. The boys go off to explore around the area and come back with a suitable stock of sweets to keep them going. Its starts to fill up around us and we are pleased that we decided to have the seating . It rains on and off but not really enough to warrant full poncho wearing.

Illuminations is over quickly though – we thought it was much longer and fell a bit let down. This is not one that we would make a return visit for again.

WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 12, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

As we are heading out the park, the CM is telling everyone that Soarin is open so we arrive there around 9.20 pm and after 15 minutes we get a top row flight.

We exit the park at 10pm and an OKW bus is waiting for us so we are back in the villa by 1030 . Its been a low key day but really good fun and we enjoyed our time at OKW , nice and relaxing.

Sat Nav sabotage – nil , we took the buses

Shopping count – nil, day off for the bank

DDP count – 4 CS at Goods to Go for lunch ( around $12 per person) and 5 TS at Teppan Edo ( $187)
Old 14 Oct 12, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A bit of relaxing and fireworks sounds good to me
Old 14 Oct 12, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Cutiepie
Imagineer

lovely day
Cutiepie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 12, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post

Good tip for watching Illuminations

Sounds like this was a really good day for you all - there may be a clue in the lack of satnav and shopping trips?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 12, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
SammyScotland
Imagineer

Another great day Amanda. What a lovely family picture - definitely one to be framed and put up in your house.
Old 14 Oct 12, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Ariel's Mum
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Fab day

2013 Trippie - Something Old Something New
2011 Trippie Disney & Beyond
2010 Trip Report UNFINISHED

2 weeks WDW '96 ~ Private Villa 2003 ~ Sheraton Village 2005 ~ Sanctuary Westhaven 2006, 2007, 2008 ~ Sarasota 10 days Oct 2008 ~ Windsor Palms 2009 ~ 24 Nights Sabal Harbour Jun 2010 ~ 28 Nights 2011 ~ Watersong/HRH/Rotonda Villa ~ 22 nights Westhaven/CR/AKL/RPR/Rotonda
NOW PLANNING 22 Nights - Orlando/Marco Island
Ariel's Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 12, 07:20 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by mick View Post
A bit of relaxing and fireworks sounds good to me
Yes it was nice, its a shame we found Illuminations a bit short though - after seeing World of Color, which is amazing, we were left feeling a bit like " is that it" ? Ah well, at least we did get to see it this time which made up for our last trip

Originally Posted by Cutiepie View Post
lovely day
I am so pleased we took time out to enjoy the resort - it was really good fun

Originally Posted by ponenet View Post
Good tip for watching Illuminations

Sounds like this was a really good day for you all - there may be a clue in the lack of satnav and shopping trips?
You could be on to something there
We were surprised that they were ok about people sitting in that terrace area for up to an hour before the fireworks, which is why we checked first. It was a good spot

Originally Posted by SammyScotland View Post
Another great day Amanda. What a lovely family picture - definitely one to be framed and put up in your house.
Yes, it is nice and we got a few others from the photopass people.

Originally Posted by Ariel's Mum View Post
Fab day
It was lovely , only minor whingeing while waiting for fireworks too
Old 15 Oct 12, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsstitch
slightly serious Dibber

Thoroughly enjoying your trippie so far. Your west coast section reminds me of our trip back in 2004 which I wasn't so keen on, but I am surprised with the fond memories I've had reading your report. As for your Florida section so far, bliss! Okw looks fab, must have been lush to spend sooo much time there! Would love to spend a holiday at Okw on a return visit! Loving your activities a d the trials that a famy holiday brings! Keep it coming!
Thank you too for your kind comments on my trippie-we must think very much alike!
mrsstitch is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List