Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Closed Thread

Old 5 May 15, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post

Brain rattling issues!

Hi all, in my old age (39) I've developed a real issue with rides which bang your head too much. I've always loved, roller coasters but recently it's become a real problem where I get such a headache from one ride that it ruins the enjoyment of the whole day, mostly because I dread that each next ride will hurt again. A prime example of one of the worst for me is Colossus at Thorpe Park! Couldn't care less if I never set foot on that ride again Shame, as the ride in general, I like, but my little brain being thrown around in my head, I don't!
Does anyone have any kind of idea if there's a sure-fire way to minimise impact, when this happens, any tips would be most welcomed?
Also are there many Orlando rides where people always have these issues? Any I should perhaps try to avoid...at least until the end of the holiday anyway
Thanks
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 15, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post

Not just you, I don't like it either !
Colossus was also the first ride that I experienced it with.

Kraken at Sea world
Hulk and Rip Ride Rockit at Universal/IoA

are the ones that caused me problems - don't recall any others.
Old 5 May 15, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Robojo
Earning More Ears

Mobile

I've got 5 years on you but know exactly what you mean! Rock 'n' Roller Coaster is not a good one for me.

Jo
Robojo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 15, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Hooray4Disney
Imagineer

Hooray4Disney's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Hi,
I'm not sure if the head banging is age related or if you just prefer the smoother coasters!

Both my sister and I, lean slightly forward on most on the cossters. Our heads do not touch the back, and I mean by only a few mms, just enough to stop the banging of the head.

Rides I thought were just OK last year, were The Hulk and Rock N Roller Coaster. These were OK with the above strategy!

Gwazi at Busch Gardens was absolutely horrendous and I will never ride that coaster again!

2002 - Hampton Lakes, WDW. 2003 - Westridge Villas, WDW. 2005, 2008, 2011 Formosa Blvd, WDW. 2010, 2013 Hotel Cheyenne, DLP. 2014 OKW/Westridge, WDW. 2015 - NYC, DCA & Rotonda West. 2016 - Hotel Kyriad, DLP. 2016 - Toronto 2017 - OKW, Bahama Bay & The Keys 2018 - Vegas, Yellowstone, San Francisco, L.A. 2018 DLP - Hotel B&B 2019 - Lake Berkeley, WDW. 2022 - Seattle/Hawaii
Hooray4Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 15, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
marshall-stephens
Excited about Disney

Lol, we know what you mean about Colossus at Thorpe Park - it's now the one we leave for the end of the day to save walking around with a thumping headache.

The only rollercoaster we can personally say shakes you about is Kumba at Busch Gardens.
marshall-stephens is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 15, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post

I got this on the dragon challenge in universal so I'd try to avoid that if I were you. Luckily I didn't suffer too badly just for around an hour or so
Old 5 May 15, 11:57 PM  
Link to this Post
MizzJacktheCat
Excited about Disney

If you push your head back to the head rest at the start and keep it there you will be fine. It only happens when you start without your head pushed back.

June 2008 - Pop Century
Jan 2011, Sep 2011 & Nov 2012 Port Orleans FQ
Oct 2014 Caribbean Beach, October 2016 POFQ
October 2018 Yacht Club (upgrade) Booked
MizzJacktheCat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 15, 07:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Caroian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MizzJacktheCat View Post
If you push your head back to the head rest at the start and keep it there you will be fine. It only happens when you start without your head pushed back.
This is the strategy I've always used. The first time I went on an upside rollercoaster as a teenager I hated it and felt as though my head was coming off. I was dragged back on by friends and that time kept my head pressed tight to the seat... I then became a coaster junkie! I've had a couple of years off though (and obviously getting older ) so I'll have to see how Alton Towers goes next month!
Caroian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 15, 07:55 AM  
Link to this Post
poohsfriend
Excited about Disney

I too hate Colossus as it hurts too much - even my youngest has mentioned it! I wonder if it is partly the rides getting older and the thousands of heads compacting the padding until it is virtually flat! At Alton Towers, Rita does the same to me. I can only go on it once or I get a thumping headache - once and I usually get away with just a sore head iykwim!
Old 6 May 15, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
paw
Imagineer

I am sure my brain floats free in my skull and crashes around the inside of my skull on any ride - including the car on a sharp bend or rough road. I gave up all rides a long time ago due to the instant headache - being conned onto Spiderman because is was smooth nearly resulted in divorce! Holding my head firmly back etc doesn't work so for the last 40 years I have happily been the bag holder.
paw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread