Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 26 Jun 15, 12:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Photogirl62
slightly serious Dibber

I'm staying near Downtown Disney and planning to use Uber to get to Universal. Is there a best place I need to get the driver to drop us at Universal to avoid any extra charges as there is at Disney? Thanks
Photogirl62 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 15, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
challybaby
Apprentice Imagineer

this is great , we were planning on using uber but were a bit wary but not anymore .

there are 5 of us , do we need to let them know on the app
Old 26 Jun 15, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
66Caunce
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Photogirl62 View Post
I'm staying near Downtown Disney and planning to use Uber to get to Universal. Is there a best place I need to get the driver to drop us at Universal to avoid any extra charges as there is at Disney? Thanks
Nope, they'll take you right up to the gate. If you like, you could get one to a Universal hotel and get the boat or walk but there's no need.
September 2017 - Port Orleans Riverside/Grand/St Pete's/Disney Cruise

September 2019 - AKL + Off-site
66Caunce is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 15, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
66Caunce
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by challybaby View Post
this is great , we were planning on using uber but were a bit wary but not anymore .

there are 5 of us , do we need to let them know on the app
How is your party broken down? The are different options for ordering cars:

UberX - this is the default. If you don't ever change this, you'll get the lowest rate. Cars range from ordinary '4-seaters' to '7-seaters'. There's no way of knowing what you're going to get until a driver has accepted your ride request. A picture of the car you're getting will pop up in the corner of the app when a driver accepts. If it's too small, you have up to five minutes to cancel without being charged. Simply request again after cancelling.

Alternatively, upgrade to UberXL. Problem here is the cost is 1.5x to 2x as much as UberX, often making them the same as ordering a Mears. These cars are meant to be bigger and more luxurious. However, we got several cars that would be classed as UberXL when ordering UberX. It's a bit of a minefield. If one of your partner is young/a toddler, you'll be fine with UberX 90% of the time.

66Caunce is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 15, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Disneyloverz
Imagineer

Disneyloverz's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Thanks for this, you've answered questions I didn't even know we had

We'll definitely be giving them a try in August
Many Happy Returns INDEX - May/June 2023
Disneyloverz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 15, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Shinji4u
Proud to wear my Ears

As far as I know, you only need Internet Connection to request an Uber, right? So if you are staying at a Disney Resort which have Wifi, you can call the Uber and even if it drives you to Universal or Wal-Mart, where you don't have Wifi (and no data because of roaming), everything is ok, because the you don't need to verify any payment or anything else, right?
Old 26 Jun 15, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
itsrachelhere
Imagineer

itsrachelhere's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Good guide! We have recently got Uber here in Birmingham and I have used it a few times, and found it really good. I think most of the Uber drivers are people who used to work for standard taxi companies, but have jumped across. Within Birmingham they are actually council registered drivers, which I think differs from some cities. Anyhow, my experience to date has been really good, and I would definitely consider using them when in Orlando .
itsrachelhere is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 15, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
mrmoo123
Imagineer

Wow what a thoroughly informative post! I had never even heard of Uber, now i'm frantically downloading it hoping I live in an Uber area (although doubt it!) here in the UK.

Reminds me of that Taxi game from a few years ago!

Thanks for sharing
Old 26 Jun 15, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
benali11
Getting Excited

Great info thanks. Had been pondering on using Uber next month but am now convinced ! Question - would it be ok to book using an ipad from hotel and leave that behind once we have the info to wait outside for driver or do we need to have keep a phone on us ? thanks again for posting this.
benali11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 15, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
66Caunce
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Shinji4u View Post
As far as I know, you only need Internet Connection to request an Uber, right? So if you are staying at a Disney Resort which have Wifi, you can call the Uber and even if it drives you to Universal or Wal-Mart, where you don't have Wifi (and no data because of roaming), everything is ok, because the you don't need to verify any payment or anything else, right?
That is correct. Everything is taken care of by Uber after you travel so you do only need data or wi-fi to initially request your lift.