Notices

Old 23 Jun 16, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
closeder
slightly serious Dibber

Travel Day Live(ish) Taking The Grandparents This Time June 2016

Our travel day begun with getting up at 3.30am. No problem getting out of bed this morning even at this time and after four(ish) hours sleep. Derek went and picked up Mum and Dad so we could all get in the taxi together, they are about a two minute drive away from us so this took no time at all. Taxi came at 4.30am and we were quickly on our way to Edinburgh airport. Our flight with BA was at 6.40am, I had checked in online and it was painless to hand in the bags. We really only had time for a quick coffee and croissant before our gate was announced and we were boarding. We left bang on time, the flight was short and sweet down to Gatwick with breakfast choices of croissant filled with cheese or a hot breakfast. The adults all really enjoyed the hot breakfast, kids has the croissant after removing the cheese as apparently this is just weird to have cheese for breakfast. No pics of any of this, still a bit early to be thinking about the report photos.

Here's one instead of the kids and Grandpa in the taxi.

Once landed in Gatwick we followed the signs for flight connections, we had to go through security again but it was just a small queue and not the main security bit so less hectic. We got settled in some seats and took turns to wander round the shops. I picked up chicken fajita wraps for the kids for the flight in WHSmith, they had been going on about these since our trip at Easter they had liked them so much, easy pleased. The usual rubbishy magazines were bought and I also treated myself to some new eyeshadow and mascara in Boots with my advantage points. We were planning on having something to eat in Jamie's but we were all fairly full after the plane food so ended up with a Starbucks coffee and some cakes. Mum's pineapple, coconut and banana cake is worth a mention here, says it was absolutely delicious, you'll have to take her word for it as I cannot stand coconut and its her favourite, I think she ate too many bounty bars when she was pregnant.

Here a picture of the cake off the web, still wasn't taking many pictures of food things.

Our flight was on time, 11.20am and we were soon ready to go to the gate. I had started writing a very brief pre travel day report so uploaded from the lounge just before we boarded and we were quickly settled in our seats. We had three window and three middle all in the same row. A very busy flight with lots more kids out of school like ourselves😉 We started moving bang on time but did spend quite a while queuing for take off, I didn't notice exactly what time as we had all started watching films. I watched the one about Eddie the Eagle, mainly as any film with Hugh Jackman in it is worthwhile but it was very good, not sure how close they stuck to the truth but it was a good story. Also watched Deadpool as Derek started with that and tears were literally running down his face with laughter. Not one for the kids mind you! The in flight services were good, drink service then dinner of cottage pie which Mum and Derek said was nice, chicken korma which Dad and I had and it was tasty, kids has pasta which didn't even get opened to look at. I was sure I had ordered kids meals and wasn't the only parent querying why they were only given adult choices, I must look back my booking but it was no big deal as they had the much anticipated WHSmith wraps declared as delicious. I also had Pringles, mcvities croissants, sweeties etc so they had plenty to keep them going.

Here's my plane food photos.

The flight experience was okay, I had a gentlemen in front with his seat in full recline for much of the flight meaning my TV was practically at my nose and made it difficult to manoeuvre but it did go back up for eating and at one point when he went to the toilet I pushed it back up myself so I could fill out my customs form and it didn't get the full recline after that.

We are pretty well used to these long haul flights now and the kids were fab for most of the time, the was one moment where I thought I might throttle Katie when her brother wanted to have a snooze and she wouldn't let him out his feet up on her or swap seats with me so he could put them on me, she point blank refused to move as she was in the middle of her film, so I got the film up on my tv and painstakingly fast forwarded to where she was with it only for the seat belt sign to come on and she smugly sat there saying she could hardly move now. Aargh. Not really usual behaviour for her so I put it down to tiredness.

We arrived bang on schedule at 3.30pm, things were looking good for us until we directed to a side room and a massive queue on our way to the immigration hall. Herded like sheep in rows upon rows of lines of tired adults and kids, it did not look promising. And it wasn't, I think we were in this holding area for a good forty minutes before being released to the actual hall itself, the queues here were as big as I have ever seen them and took a further hour at least to get to the front. Once through we were quick getting our bags as they must have been circling the belt for ages. I think there must have been at least four flights arriving at the same time and the queue was just as big behind us. Having cleared immigration at Philadelphia at Easter then is a lot to be said for indirect into another U.S. Airport however we have a had painless encounters with MCO before so I guess it's just your luck. That said you also skip having to pick up the luggage then having to wait (as we then did this time) in another queue for the customs men which was another 20 mins then put your bags on the belt to meet you at the other end before getting on the train. Loosing the will to live at this point there was talk of two weeks in Ibiza next year😀

We left the kids with Mum and Dad at the belt on the other side while Derek and I went to the Avis desk. Queue here took a while and by the time we were served Mum and Dad had arrived with a trolley man and all the cases, result! Yes for five minutes we thought we were in our way until lovely Avis informed us of a one hour wait for our chosen mini van, what? Or pay $15 a day for the next category, plenty of those, eh no. Not good, long story short it was about and hour and a half before we got a car which turned out to be a massive Ford transit with 10 seats, ridiculous but we took it. There were people sat in groups all over the place waiting too, it was carnage. So many if onlys at this point. Should have got Magical express, should have signed up for avis preferred, should have gone to Ibiza. Eventually we got packed into the bus and set off. Kids thought the van was amazing, not reflected by the driver and navigator, it is massive and I don't think I will be able to drive it, going to call them today and see if we can change it.

We eventually arrived at All Star Movies and lovely Disney gives us a much better service. My Mum and Dad have lots of hotel nightmares behind them, especially at check in, bookings not there, rooms not ready so often expect the worst. Luckily all went really smoothly, our lovely magic bands were waiting for us and we are in Love Bug. We checked in at 8pm, a full 4and a half hours from landing!

We quickly dumped the bags and headed for the food court where we all scattered to get what we fancied. I had the kids pizza with a side of garlic bread which really hit the spot. Derek had carved Turkey with mash which was tasty and Mum and Dad shared a chicken burger and Danish. Forgot to say kids had McDonald's at the airport while waiting for the car so had a very healthy brownie and icecream for a snack at what was now 2.30am at home.

I was feeling totally spaced out at this point, kids were raring to go, they were so excited by the hotel theming making us happy with this stop gap choice.

I did manage to work up just enough excitement driving through the Disney gates on our way to the hotel, the length of time in the airport really scunnered me but nothing beats that feeling of being back in Disney😀

With promises of exploring the next day we went back to the room and crashed into bed. We have done well this morning sleeping until 5.30am, a well deserved Cracker Barrel breakfast is on the cards!

Index to my trip reports at link below, updating live
"Over the hill and sailing away March 2017"
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/repo...p?userid=36640
closeder is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 16, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by closeder - 23 Jun 16 12:18 PM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 16, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Such a long day for you all but that's all done now and let the good times roll... enjoy Cracker Barrel and have a fantastic first full day
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 16, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
That was a long day but the holiday begins now

Joan
Old 23 Jun 16, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
RobShamrock
Gone all Goofy

Long day, great report, shall keep an eye for the follow ups
RobShamrock is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 16, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridaagogo
Imagineer

Looking forward to your report 😀
Floridaagogo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 16, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
twinkleshmoo
Very Serious Dibber

Goodness that was a long day but at least you slept til 5.30 am that's great for the first morning. Let the good times roll now
Old 24 Jun 16, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
JenD1
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

You're there now so relax and enjoy! Looking forward to reading about all the great things you do.😁
JenD1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 16, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
clubhouse
Very Serious Dibber

Great travel day apart from the waiting at the airport. We were trapped in the immigration pen too, though not quite so long. Have a great day today x x
clubhouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 16, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
margyloveswdw
Deck 4, Disney Wonder

margyloveswdw's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Oh my goodness...what a long time from landing to getting to the hotel... and Avis - that's bad. :angry:

Hopefully that will be the end of the frustrations and from here on it will be a fab holiday
margyloveswdw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List