Old 26 Jun 16, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
$100 A Day Returns for 2016 COMPLETE: Budget Eats and Treats Offsite and Universal

S100 a day 2016 Budget Eats and Treats Offsite and Universal

Introduction

Me Stephanie age 41 lover of most foods and writer and avid reader of dining reviews
DH Also 41 Lover of meat but no seafood or mushrooms.
DD Anna age 10. Fussy and prefers plain food no sauces or spices. Still happy with kids meals and portions.

We’ve been to Florida over 25 times since 1997, this was DD’s 10th trip.This time we were onsite again at Universal Cabana bay resort with a car. This was an ‘extra’ trip (see countdown) so aimed to stick to a budget of $100 a day. I use an envelope system $100 a day to cover drinks, snacks and eating out and roll over any spare. As regular readers know I like a deal and a coupon (understatement!). We also had a kids eat free card. We do of course have other spends for shopping and DD has her own souvenir money.

My previous dining reviews

2013 DDP

2012 DxDDP

Edited at 10:38 PM.
dixonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 16, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyD
Imagineer

DisneyD's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 14
Love ur foodie trippies looking forward to lots more tips and some great food!
Old 26 Jun 16, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
2016 Budget Eats and Treats Day 1

Travel Day May 28th 2016

Manchester Airport Terminal 3

Trattoria Millano

Not a huge range of breakfast options at T3 (last time from there we ate at Costa coffee) DH had flown on business to Belfast two days earlier and said food was nice here so we gave it a go. We had a coffee, tea and DD hot choc. We got 2 of the Massimo big breakfasts and toast for DD and shared with her. Food and service were good.

£29.83 plus tip

Approx $43 plus tip

Boots

2 just ham sandwiches for DD who doesn’t do plane food and 2 bottles of water we didn’t end up drinking as they gave us lots of drinks on plane

£4

Approx $6

American Airlines Food

Not the best. We had cheese pasta. Apparently we hadn’t ordered DD a kids meal (thought I had) Pretty irrelevant as she doesn’t usually eat plane food. DH would not even eat the pasta.

They did serve a hot snack before landing which was nice rather than the sandwiches Virgin/Thomson do.

Philadelphia Airport

We were delayed then rerouted via Charlotte and then onto MCO (I’ll save this tale for the trip report!)

Villa Fresh Italian Kitchen

DD had a cheese pizza slice. We had a stomboli each which was like rolled up pizza with Italian sausage and pepperoni and came with some marinara sauce to dip. This was really really good (we were starving and losing the will to live at this point though!). We also had some garlic bread and bottled water.

Approx $25

Total day 1 $74
dixonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 16, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
OnOurWay
Excited about Disney

Mobile

So excited to read another of your food reports - it was one of your previous ones that got me hooked on the Dibb. I have a page in my holiday planner (places to eat) called the 'Dixon's recommendations'. Thanks for doing them😊
OnOurWay is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 16, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
joanna23
Imagineer

joanna23's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
Mobile

Another massive fan here. Looking forward to all of your recommendations again.
August 2006 RPR & Rosen Plaza; August 2008 RPR & Regal Sun; August 2009 RPR & Buena Vista Palace; July/August 2010 RPR & SSR; July/August 2011 & 2012 Loews Miami Beach, RPR & SSR; 2013 SSR & RPR: 2014 Rosen Plaza, SSR & RPR; 2015 Renaissance, RPR & SSR;2016 Cabana Bay, SSR & RPR; 2018 CB, Portofino, SSR 2019 St Petes, Renaissance & SSR
joanna23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 16, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I've read all your trip reports, which are all fab by the way. Always pick up some great tips from you. Really looking forward to reading 😊🖒
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 16, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
CazP
Imagineer

Love your reports and this is off to a great start
Anna looks so grown up now! Beautiful girl
WDW Oct 1991 HoJo DLP June 2001 Cheyenne DLP Santa Fe Feb 2003 DLP Santa Fe Oct 2008 WDW Xmas 2008 CBR DLP Santa Fe Oct 2010 DLP Santa Fe Oct 2012 Ramada Int. Drive Aug 2013 DLP Cheyenne Oct 2014 IDrive & OKW July/August 2016 Oct 2016 Cheyenne DLP Aug 2017 Fairfield Inn July 2018 Newport Bay
CazP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 16, 09:40 AM  
Link to this Post
BriarRose
Imagineer

I have been hoping you would do a trip report We are flying with AA via Philly so interesting to see what you had.

Looking forward to the next instalment.

1998,1999,2001,2004 I Drive, 2005,2006 Pop Century, 2007 Newport Bay DLP, 2010, 2012 OKW 2013, 2014, 2015 SSR, 2016 Portofino Bay & IDrive
BriarRose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 16, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
2016 Budget Eats and Treats Day 2

Sunday May 29th 2016

Sweet Tomatoes breakfast buffet

This was 5 mins drive from Cabana bay on corner of International Drive and Kirman Rd. I have signed up for club veg coupons on the sweet tomatoes website so they had been sending details of their new breakfast buffet at some locations on a Saturday & Sunday.

We gave it a try but were unimpressed and it was the most expensive breakfast of the week.

The food wasn’t labelled or very accessible and nothing seemed hot. The omelettes were ok but you can get much better for cheaper at Perkins, Bob Evans etc.

You can imagine how much DH and DD teased me about wanting to go there.

$28 plus tip

Free water Universal

We took our refill minion cup. You can pay $1.19 plus tax to have him refilled with soda or get free water from any of the coke freestyle machine. It was so hot we just ended up with water. After a day or 2 when we weren’t buying soda I just brought a plastic bottle for the water machines, sorry minion you are a bit bulky. They do still sell the minion and other themed refill cups for about $15. They also have the coke freestyle cups which are $12.99 plus tax for unlimited drinks day 1 and can be re used another day for $5.99 plus tax.

They have stopped the free water now on the coke freestlye machines but you can ask for a cup of water at any counter service restaurant.

Margaritaville, Universal Citywalk

Sat on the patio. Enjoyed as usual and friendly service. Never had a wait for a table at lunch time.

We had 2 dine tickets left from a golf and dine deal I’d bought in 2015. There is a special menu with 6 main courses plus you get soda and tax and tip included.

The deal can be bought online or from citywalk kiosk. Deal costs $23.95 inc tax. Mini golf is $14.99 so only $9 for the meal. It is a great deal if you want to pay either of the cirtwalk golf courses. Golf and dine don’t have to be used same day. They do a similar movie and dine deal for a couple of dollars cheaper.

DH had the cheeseburger in paradise, me the grilled grouper sandwich which I really enjoyed and DD a kids cheeseburger.

We paid for DD’s kids meal (saving 10% as DH has a preferred Annual pass for Universal)

$8.61 plus tip for DD + our meals/drink/ tip were prepaid at $18)

Total $26.61 plus tip

Menchies, Citywalk

1st time here thank you Abiknox for the recommendation. It is up the steps near Breadbox.

DD wanted to go as they had Nutella frozen yoghurt.

You add your own toppings and pay by weight. Dd’s is the smallest cup size. She enjoyed this. Saved 10% with preferred annual pass.

$4.28

Walmart, Turkey Lake Road

5 mins drive if that from Cabana bay. We were in a suite so got some food and snacks for the room plus some stuff to bring home.

I did take a few random pics but DH and DD lose patience with me photographing everything!

We spent $48 but some was stuff for home.

Approx $30 for snacks, beer, breakfast and sandwich stuff

$30

Refill mugs, Bayliner Diner Cabana bay

Got 3 for the length of stay $17.99 each less 10% preferred AP discount. You can use these for soda, coffee, hot choc and iccees (slushies). Basically same idea as Disney resort refill mugs. They have coke freestyle machines in the foodcourt and normal soda machines by both pool bars.

$51.73

Edited at 08:42 PM.
Old 26 Jun 16, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
O’Charleys, Turkey Lake Road

This was less than 5 mins drive from hotel. On plaza where wholefoods is at junction of Sandlake road and Turkey Lake Road.

I’d got a coupon off restaurant.com last year but not used it. They don’t expire. Deal was save $25 when you spend $50. There is usually a discount code for restaurant.com, so think I paid $8.

It is southern comfort food. Server called us y’all! Was worried it would be very bar like but was like a normal restaurant in room we were seated in.

DD had a steak off the kids menu and was impressed, decent size and cut for a kids steak. Me and DH chose off the $9.99 menu. For an extra $3.99 each we added a soup or salad and a slice of pie.

I had a Kentucky mai tai to drink. I was tired. This was very nice but very strong. Stuck to the one, think I’d have needed carrying out with two. I’d seen it had ameretto and juice and ordered it. Got DH to try it and he said what do you expect it’s got Makers Mark bourbon in, what did you think the ‘Kentucky’ part was. More teasing from DH and DD. DH had a beer $2.99 for 20oz.

We got bread to start the same yeast sweet rolls like at Mannys chop house.

I had a Caesar salad and DH cheese potato soup.

DH had a spicy chicken sandwich and me bayou shrimp pasta which was lovely, nice kick to it and a massive portion. I had lemon pie and DD ate DH’s French silk which were good.

We didn’t manage to hit $50 (deal was spend min $50 to use coupon) but waitress still took groupon off. You tip on the full bill before groupon taken off.

We all really enjoyed. Food and service were great. They have lots of deals. Happy hour is 4-7pm with cheap drinks and half price appetisers. Free pie with an entrée on a Wednesday. Will definitely go back.

Cost $23.91 plus tip and groupon cost $8?

$31.98 plus tip

Total Day 2 $172.60

($90.87 on eating out plus food for room and mugs for the week so not as bad as it seems. DH paid for walmart and mugs on his card so not paid out of my food budget)

Edited at 08:34 PM.