Old 3 Jan 17, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Wobbles
VIP Dibber

Wobbles's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Who Knew Toronto was on the Med? Leg Two Around Toronto

Previous Leg

We woke up on Day 2 with no signs of jetlag, which is a short way of saying we slept in slightly longer than planned...

Today we needed daily travel passes (covering the underground, trams and buses) and you can only get these from underground stations. We walked back to Dundas Square, only to find that we could have got them the day before as they are not digital (you scratch off the day and month just like a lottery card!) But the upside was Panera Bread and breakfast.

The public transport in Toronto is extremely clean (on a par with Washington), joined up, quick and easy to use. Our favourite was the underground to overground trams! The day tickets are cheap and easy to use, we would recommend them to anyone. I am glad we did the tour to get our barings but the Public Transport system is so easy to use.

The City Sightseeing Hop On, Hop Off tour buses have a "free" tour of the harbour as part of your ticket and we headed to the waterfront for our tour...

Except we got to the wrong place and went to Jack Layton Docks and not the Harbourfront Arts Centre... The man in the ticket booth, persuaded us that Can$6 each on return tickets to the Toronto Island would be much better than just a sight seeing tour! He was not wrong...

It takes about 15 minutes to get over to the islands, there are drinks and restrooms in the harbour area and plenty of places to sit. On the Island themselves, there are pleny of places to eat and drink and BBQ grills if you want to take your own.

The views speak for themselves...

We decided not to hire bikes and it took us about 20 minutes to walk from one side to another, or at least it would have done if we had not been side tracked by a lovely little petting zoo.

and the rides, the fun fair was not open but there is something about a closed and deserted fun fair which just shouts out for their photos to be taken!

There are plenty of places to eat, from snack stops, sit down places, ice cream stands and bars. There are plenty of toilets, a large changing areas for the beaches with showers and lockers. You can hire bikes to get around but it was a lovely day for a walk. It is also huge fun watching the planes coming in to land.

We spent a couple of hours there and could have easily spent longer as we only did the "Main Bit" and we had a hockey match to get too!

More about the hockey match next...

Trip Reports
Howling @ the Horror 2015 (Complete)
Who knew Toronto was on the Med (Complete)
Getting Our Kicks - Pre Trippie

Edited at 07:00 PM.
Wobbles is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jan 17, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Wobbles
VIP Dibber

Wobbles's Reviews
Hockey Hockey Hockey

One of the hightlights for me, was the chance to finally go to a Hockey Match, not just any match but a World Cup of Hockey Match!

As it happened the matches was a couple of minutes walk from the Jack Layton Harbour when the ferry landed. We found our entrance and got in with no problems :-) I was a little worried as I had used Vivid Seats Re-sale service. But had no problems at all. We say Sweden v North America.

We were, of course, supporting Sweden and ended up sitting in the middle of a bunch of Swedes so that was OK. The North American team are a mix of American and Canadian who are all under the age of 23, including a local Toronto Blue Jay star, who was very popular... Most of the Swedish team seem to play for Tampa!

All I can say is WOW, if you have never seen a Hockey match - please go, it is fast, it is frantic and there is something "organic" as to how the players keep coming on and off the ice.

As it happened, we saw the match of the tournament. It had everything, sending offs, penalty, two goals in the first 5 minutes of play. It was brilliant and lasted over two hours. Would we go again? Yes its our new favourite sport.

We had planned to go up the CN Tower and do the Aquarium in the evening but after a great day and busy day and an amazing match, we decided to head back to Dundas, grab a bite to eat and head back to hotel (on the trams, I loved the trams!)

I am so glad we did because we made a discovery when we got back to the guest house. Now if you have read NeilHD's Trippie You will know he had a slight hiccup with his satnav (for hiccup read - thought that his maps for North America cover USA and Canada, only to find out -they didn't!)

Guess what? A couple of weeks later we made the exact same mistake. I was not happy as I had asked Mr W to check and he thought we would be OK so didn't... hmmm. We can laugh now we have read Neil's trippie but Mr W was in the dog house, sent out for alcohol whilst I plotted our route to Niagara whilst we had access to wifi. It was a long night before we packed and went to bed.

Trip Reports
Old 9 Jan 17, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Jesslydevie1
Very Serious Dibber

What a fantastic day , does make me want to go and watch a game .
Old 29 Jan 17, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Wobbles
VIP Dibber

Wobbles's Reviews
Originally Posted by Jesslydevie1 View Post
What a fantastic day , does make me want to go and watch a game .
We loved it and can't wait to go again

Trip Reports