Notices

Passport - Expiry Requirements
Travel
How much time do I need left on my passport to travel to the USA?

This advice is for UK passport holders.
Other nationalities may have different requirements.

US Immigration
At present US immigration only requires your passport to be valid on dates of travel only. i.e. your length of stay in the USA.

The UK is still a member of the strangely named 6 month club,(see below) which means passports have only to be valid for dates of travel.
Link to countries with extended passport validity.

Foreign & Commonwealth Office position.
Does my British passport have to be valid for six months beyond my date of departure from the United States?
No, if your passport is not valid for at least six months beyond your date of departure from the United States, it will not affect your eligibility to travel. The United States has an agreement with the United Kingdom automatically extending the validity of a passport for six months past the passport's expiration date. Therefore, your passport need remain valid only for the duration of your stay in the United States.[
US embassy position.
Does my British passport have to be valid for six months beyond my date of departure from the United States?

No, if your passport is not valid for at least six months beyond your date of departure from the United States, it will not affect your eligibility to travel. The United States has an agreement with the United Kingdom automatically extending the validity of a passport for six months past the passport's expiration date. Therefore, your passport need remain valid only for the duration of your stay in the United States.

Do different airlines have different Policies.
Scheduled airlines generally follow the US immigration policy of passports being valid for length of stay.
Virgin Atlantic and British Airways do.
For scheduled airlines, you can fill in your details for nationality, passport country of issue etc on the IATA site and get the results.
For non scheduled airlines set the carrier code to "Other"

If it is a charter airline then most seem to put the responsibility back onto you to ensure your travel documents are correct.

I don't feel comfortable travelling with less than 6 months.
[COLOR=blue]Whether people feel comfortable travelling within 6 months is their choice, this information just lays out the facts.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection
Carrier Liaison Program – updated 2009 CLP Bulletin
IMPORTANT UPDATE IN ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
SIX-MONTH CLUB UPDATES
March 10, 2009
Below you will find the current list of Six-Month Club members. This update supersedes the list currently found in the Carrier Information Guide on Page 18 as well as the CLP Bulletin date April 16, 2008. You may also find the updated list on CBP.gov. The additional or reinstated countries are below in blue text. The following countries are no longer part of the Six- Month Club: Bangladesh, Botswana, Cuba, Ecuador, Eritrea, Kuwait, Laos, Oman, Senegal, Syria, Tanzania.
Visitors traveling to the United States are required to be in possession of passports that are valid for six months beyond the period of their intended stay in the United States. Citizens of the countries listed below are exempt the six-month rule and need only have a passport valid for their intended period of stay.

Algeria, Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Antilles, Argentina, Armenia, Aruba, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, The, Barbados, Belgium, Belize, Bermuda, Bolivia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Burma, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cote D’Ivoire, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Egypt, El Salvador, Estonia, Ethiopia, Fiji, Finland, France, Gabon, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guyana, Haiti, Holy See, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Latvia, Lebanon, Libya, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macau, Macedonia, Madagascar, Malaysia, Maldives, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Mozambique, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Nigeria, Norway. ≈≈≈≈stan, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russia, San Marino, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sri Lanka, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and The Grenadines, Suriname, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Tuvalu, Ukraine, United Arab , mirates, United Kingdom, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Venezuela, Vietnam, Zimbabwe.
Page created by on 17-10-2010 10:34.
+ Last editted by ChrisS on 23-07-2019 19:53. View History