Notices

I-94 Form for travellers with a Visa
Travel
Foreign visitors to the U.S. arriving via air or sea no longer need to complete paper Customs and Border Protection Form I-94 Arrival/Departure Record or Form I-94W Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver Arrival/Departure Record. Those who need to prove their legal-visitor status—to employers, schools/universities or government agencies—can access their CBP arrival/departure record information online.

CBP now gathers travelers’ arrival/departure information automatically from their electronic travel records. Because advance information is only transmitted for air and sea travelers, CBP will still issue a paper form I-94 at land border ports of entry.

Filling Out Arrival-Departure Record, CBP Form I-94, for Nonimmigrant Visitors with a Visa for the U.S.

For nonimmigrant visitors entering the United States with a visa, there is a requirement to fill a CBP Form I-94 (white form). This form has two specific perforated sections to it. The visitor or the carrier representative must complete both sections of CBP Form I-94 upon arrival in the United States. The bottom section of CBP Form I-94 is a departure record and must be returned to U.S. officials upon exiting the United States.

The information requested on the CBP Form I-94, Arrival Record, upper portion, includes:
  • Family Name
  • First Name
  • Date of Birth
  • Country of Citizenship
  • Sex (Male or Female)
  • Passport Number
  • Airline and Flight Number (if applicable)
  • Country Where You Live – Lawful Permanent Residence
  • City Where You Boarded (if applicable)
  • City Where Visa was Issued (if applicable)
  • Date Issued (Day/Mo/Yr) (if applicable)
  • Address While in the United States (Number and Street)
  • City and State
The information requested on the CBP Form I-94, Departure Record, lower portion, includes:
  • Family Name
  • First Name
  • Date of Birth
  • Country of Citizenship
After the successful completion of processing the applicant, a CBP officer stamps the applicant’s CBP Form I-94, Arrival and Departure Records, and the passport. The CBP Declaration, used at air and sea ports of entry, may also be stamped by the CBP officer. The CBP officer retains the arrival portion of the CBP Form I-94 and returns the departure portion of the CBP Form I-94 and passport to the applicant.

The departure portion of CBP Form I-94 and passport is to be in the applicant’s possession at all times until the applicant departs the United States. If an applicant boards a commercial conveyance to depart the United States, the transportation carriers are:
  1. To remove the departure portion of the CBP Form I-94 from the applicant’s passport.
  2. Annotate the reverse of the departure portion of the CBP Form I-94 with the facts of the applicant’s departure from the United States.
  3. Return the departure portion of the CBP Form I-94 to the nearest CBP office.

It is your responsibility to ensure that your I-94/I-94W is turned in to Customs and Border Protection (CBP) at the end of your visit to the United States.
  • If you are departing by air, please turn the I-94/I-94W into the airline prior to departure.
  • If you are departing by sea, please turn the I-94/I-94W into the shipping line prior to departure.
  • If you are departing by land and you will not be returning to the United States within 30 days, please turn the 1/94/1/94W into the Canadian authorities when crossing the Canadian border and to a U.S. Official when crossing the Mexican border.

In general, if you have been admitted to the United States under most visa classifications if you take a short trip (30 days or less) to Canada or Mexico, you may retain your I-94/I-94W, so that when you resume your visit to the United States you are readmitted for the balance of the time remaining on your I-94/I-94W.

For those admitted as academic students or exchange visitors (F or J classifications), if you take a short trip (30 days or less) to Canada, Mexico, or the Adjacent Islands, you may retain your I-94 and your SEVIS form I-20 or SEVIS Form DS-2019, so when you resume your visit to the United States you are readmitted for the balance of the time required for you to complete your program.

Both 8 CFR 214.1 and 22 CFR 41.112 contain legal guidance on the procedures for the readmission of a traveler and automatic revalidation of a visa that has expired.
However, because each traveler’s individual circumstances may vary (such as your current status in the United States, foreign destination, and the nationality of the traveler); it is recommended that you contact CBP at the port of your departure and prior to your departure if you have any questions regarding these issues.

Page created by on 08-02-2012 12:10.
+ Last editted by blusteryday on 28-10-2015 21:07. View History