View Single Post
Old 21 Aug 20, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
I love DLP and have been most years since 2008. It's much more affordable than WDW and doesn't need to be planned like a military operation.

As has been said though, it is an entirely different experience. It is a European one not an American one. Just as if you were going to Tokyo Disneyland or Shanghai Disneyland, you need to prepare yourself for a completely different culture.

For example - you won't get the 'be my new best friend' style greetings from the CMs. That feels fake and tacky to Europeans. However, if you engage one in conversation - particularly in French, even if your French begins and ends with 'Bonjour' - they absolutely blossom. (To answer a previous point, I have never once found CMs 'rude', but the expectation in France is that you don't want strangers bothering you on your holiday, so they tend to leave you alone unless you need them.)

The level of detail in Disneyland Park is off the scale. If you have watched the Imagineering Story on Disney+ you will have seen how much care and planning (and money) went into building the park. There are so many little details - the golden snails on the castle roof, the motto at the entrance to Toad Hall restaurant 'No Consumus Froglegus'... plus there are lots of hidden gems such as the dragon under the castle, the Sleeping Beauty walkthrough upstairs, the beautiful arcades either side of Main Street...

Another cultural difference - the French don't really snack. It gets in the way of their two-hour three-course lunch and their two-hour three-course dinner. So don't expect the wide variety of snacks you get in WDW. Instead, save your money for one of the nicer restaurants, give yourself an entire evening to eat there (the French don't rush their food) and relax with a glass of wine and a good steak.

The Great British Mickey Waffle, our very own podcast, has just recorded a DLP special episode which will be going out on 1 September, so keep your ears open for that too.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List