Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 21 Dec 15, 01:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Pottermouse
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by CazP View Post
Oh the one thing that bugs me - shops always have so many Christmas cards and products in that it's hard to find a really nice card for anyone with a December birthday (especially when they aren't organised and buy them early)
Yes, it bugs me and my family too. We have four birthdays in December and it does seem as though the card shops cast birthdays aside for Christmas cards.

Another bug bear is having birthday gifts wrapped in Christmas paper :angry:

My mums biggest gripe when I was a child was family and friends used to say "she can choose if she opens it on her birthday or wait until Christmas day as it's for both" until she had enough one year and told them it wasn't fair as their kids birthdays were in the middle of the year so either buy 2 separate presents or mum & dad would stop buying for them.

Wynnfield Inn Sept 00, Spring Hill Suites LBV Oct 07, POR Aug 08 & Aug 09, Sandy Ridge Villa Oct 10, Sheraton Park Anaheim 11, Scottsdale 12, Las Vegas Jun 13, Scottsdale 14, Dallas 15, OKW 16, Cuba 17, Cuba 18, Beach Club 19 & Kraków Nov 19.
Pottermouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Dec 15, 04:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Our Grumpy1
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 27
December and January are our busiest months for birthdays.
My friend (since schooldays) is Christmas Eve, I've always delivered here Christmas and birthday present at the same time. I try to keep both gifts entirely different, but there's always plenty of choice in the shops.
DD was due on Boxing Day, and after a brief admission to hospital Christmss Eve, she was born 2 weeks later. Have always had to plan her birthday ahead of Christmas.
Old 21 Dec 15, 05:23 AM  
Link to this Post
dvc
Imagineer

dvc's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
It was my DDs birthday yesterday and thus year she was 18 so we're having a sp I'll celebration in WDW. She particularly wanted to do this when asked and just with us, her parents. She had a birthday meal last weekend with friends. We've always kept her birthday & Christmasas seperate as we could, leaving one sitting room devoid of decorations so this could be the birthday room. We've had parties over the years and they've always gone well.
dvc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Dec 15, 07:30 AM  
Link to this Post
nickimiz
Imagineer

My birthday is New Years Eve, never had a party because obviously everyone is already out celebrating, never feel as though my day is special, just another day, this year I will be working from 8.30 til 6, so won't be going out for a meal or a drink and dont fancy having people round after working for 9 hours on my feet, will probably be asleep by 9 !
Old 21 Dec 15, 07:47 AM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by nickimiz View Post
My birthday is New Years Eve, never had a party because obviously everyone is already out celebrating, never feel as though my day is special, just another day, this year I will be working from 8.30 til 6, so won't be going out for a meal or a drink and dont fancy having people round after working for 9 hours on my feet, will probably be asleep by 9 !
I think you're a prime candidate for a half-birthday - celebrating in June! I think NYE must be pretty close to the top of the list for worst day to have a birthday
Old 21 Dec 15, 07:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Evil queen
Imagineer

My ds's birthday is Tuesday and I do feel as though his birthday gets lost in Christmas a bit although I try really hard not to let that happen. I made it clear when he was born that I didn't think it was right to get combined birthday and Christmas presents as that doesn't happen to other people. I said it nicely obviously, so far it's worked. I think the worst thing is trying to think of enough gifts he'd like in one go, when he was a baby/toddler I'd buy and encourage others to buy some things that would fe suitable for when he was six months older or for outdoor play and give them to him later in the year but that's not possible so much anymore. Oh and birthday cards, if I'm not organised trying to get a good one in December is really tricky! We've never had a problem with party's though, I think parents are pleased to drop their kids off so they can do some last minute shopping!
Happy birthday to all the December dibbers!

Edited at 07:49 AM.
Evil queen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Dec 15, 07:59 AM  
Link to this Post
evergreen
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sammykitten View Post
wouldn't that be same any Monday though? I mean, would all your family usually manage to be with you for a birthday on a Monday (ie a work/school day?)

My oldest nephews birthday is boxing day - which is great because everyone in the family is off work and so we can see him on his birthday. His birthday (and my littlest niece's because its always been in the October half term holidays) are the only ones I manage to attend on the day - as I don't live close enough to my other 3 nieces and nephews to see them on the day of their birthday if its not the weekend.

2 Aunties both work part-time' 1 till mid afternoon 1 is on a late, her grand mother not at all

Dd parties have always gone well, sometimes early Decenber or if the weekend before we give plenty of notice and don't tend to pick during the day as people will be busy shopping etc... so tea time and usually in the house

No matter what Decenber birthdays get lost in Christmas, today we will make a fuss and have a quiet day then takeaway, her decision

Happy Birthday December / January Dibbers xxx
Old 21 Dec 15, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post

My birthday is Jan 3rd. As a kid I hated it when I was handed a gift to be told - "That's for Christmas AND your birthday". Down the years I've discovered this has happened to many other people who have a birthday close to either side of Christmas. Apart from Mum & Dad, the only relative who gave me anything separate was my Auntie Phyllis (Mum's sister). Without fail I'd get a card with a 2/6 (12 and a half pence) postal order in it. 2/6 was an absolute fortune back then for a child!
The other problem, as I saw, it was Mum would make a Christmas cake and my birthday cake with the same mixture. I so wanted a sponge birthday cake! My MIL makes me chocolate cakes these days which are to die for. I have a feeling the next one in 13 days time will bear a huge 65 on it!

Edited at 08:56 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Dec 15, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
scottishmum
Imagineer

scottishmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
My nephew is Christmas Eve and my son 28th December. Always seemed good when my son was little, he loved it, when christmas was over he didn't get deflated as he still had his birthday to come, and for us it was a nice thing to look forward to between Christmas and new year.
He always got separate presents and everyone still made the effort.
Old 21 Dec 15, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

My DS1 has his birthday on 11th December - it sucks!
M birthday is in January, the week before everyone gets paid after Xmas - it sucks!

We are both forever jealous of DH and 2 DS's that have summer birthdays (DS4 has his birthday in Disney every year).

I tend to let my DS have his birthday present form us in October (DS2 & DD have their birthdays in October). It spreads it out a bit for him.
Dazed is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread