Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 2 Aug 15, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post
I'm really enjoying your report, thanks for taking the time and effort to write it.

Going off at a tangent it just shows what a lot you can do with a hire car.
Thank you!
Yes, we wouldn't be without one. IMO the majority of the better restaurants aren't within walking distance of the hotels.
We are having a week onsite next year and we will embrace DDP but after that we'll be roaming

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973

Edited at 11:03 AM.
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 15, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyD View Post
Great report lot of our favs here too DH likes the look of the nachos!
If you like mince then I'm sure they're great lol

Nachos are great. Normally I love them but not with meat!

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 15, 12:01 AM  
Link to this Post
mossyflossy
Imagineer

mossyflossy's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Really enjoyed catching up on your food report, like you Roys is probably our favourite restaurant but I haven't been able to covince hubby to go to Teak or Yellow Dog as we're not meat eaters...what a shame you had such a poor experience at Margaritaville too, not good at all!

Finally sorry for your loss, but hopefully you still managed to have a great time.
mossyflossy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 15, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Kellea
VIP Dibber

Great food report so far ! We will be looking at teaks and Roy's for this trip xx thanks for sharing x

1993, 2008, 2011 OKW villas 17 nights ( thanks to Irene , 2013 3 nights Renaissance Seaworld, 3 nights HRH Club, 16 nights OKW and DxDDP, 2014 5 nights HRH Club, 16 nights OKW. 2015 15 nights Sheraton Vistana Villages. 2016 3 nights Sheraton New York Times Square, 3 nights HRH club level, 16 night AKL SV, 2 nights BLT. 2017 5 nights OKW, 5 nights BWV, 7 nights BLT, 4 nights HRH club. 2019 3 nights Renaissance (SW), 4 nights HRH CL, 7 nights BLT LV, 7 nights AKL SV

KELLEA
Kellea is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 15, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mossyflossy View Post
Really enjoyed catching up on your food report, like you Roys is probably our favourite restaurant but I haven't been able to covince hubby to go to Teak or Yellow Dog as we're not meat eaters...what a shame you had such a poor experience at Margaritaville too, not good at all!

Finally sorry for your loss, but hopefully you still managed to have a great time.
Thanks for reading. There is a Herbivores Delights section on the YDE menu so maybe you can convince him?
I had a look at you pictures of Hash House... That pancake is enormous! We went for brunch (coming up) but I think I might have preferred the breakfast options.

Old 4 Aug 15, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Kellea View Post
Great food report so far ! We will be looking at teaks and Roy's for this trip xx thanks for sharing x
Hope you enjoy!

Old 4 Aug 15, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Righto, so we've made it to Friday.
By now we're coming to the end of the holiday and trying to cram as much stuff in as possible so food was a bit of a afterthought.

We had breakfast in our room and then made our way to Sea World. We had booked the VIP tour (purely for the Penguins) which we were really looking forward to.
We were a little disappointed with it tbh. Ours didn't seem anything like the trip reports I've read. We were in a small white room and were allowed to queue up and stroke a penguin whilst a keeper held him on her lap
It was ok but not quite what we'd hoped for.
I wanted a photo like MissFortune has. (I think that's right?)
Anyhow, we were done by midday. OH and DS had ridden the rides and it started to absolutely chuck it down.
OH kindly went to get the car and collected us from under the canopy.

We'd already decided we would give the food there a miss and thought Panera Bread was worth a try.
I'd joined the email club so we were allowed 2 free pastries with our meal.

DS chose the chicken miso soup

I had a turkey and cranberry flatbread

And OH had a turkey salad sandwich

OH and DS chose well. They said they were ok. We're not talking Yellow Dog standard here but they were ok, bog standard takeaway sandwiches and soup. Like Costa quality or similar. Ideal for a pit stop
Mine wasn't great but I just chose badly. It was a bit sad looking and the turkey was really watery. There was hardly any filling. Never mind.

These were the pastries

They were incredibly dry and not great so we left them but that's ok because they were free!

We'd probably go back again if it was convenient. I'd just choose something else and we wouldn't bother with the pastries.

I do wish we'd tried Hot Krust Panini Kitchen instead. It was a toss up between the 2 and I think that would have been nicer.

We think we hit the outlets afterwards. We'd intended to have a few hours at Wet and Wild but it was still chucking it down.

Our initial plan was to go to Shulas tonight but we decided to cancel the ADR. I'm not sure why really? I think we were almost all fooded out and thought we might not appreciate it particularly.
We'll definitely make sure we head there early on on our next trip!

After a lot of shopping and DS getting locked in Tommy Hilfiger we ended up at the Cheesecake Factory again.

We shared 2 mains between 3 which worked really well. We still didn't finish it all though!

We went for Bang Bang chicken and shrimp again

And the Chinese Chicken Salad

This was really good. Nice and refreshing actually.

This was a really cheap meal! I think including drinks it was about $45!

We got 3 slices of cheesecake to take back to the hotel. I can't remember what they were but we scoffed them in bed and they were delicious

Edited at 09:00 PM.
Old 4 Aug 15, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
gettingthere
Imagineer

Great food report,really enjoyed it,.
what is it with American restaurants,huge queue and soooooooo many empty tables whem you go in.have seen this so much over the years,but was totally gobsmacked last year when BOG was running late for dinner,and turning down lots of people,but the amount of empty tables when we got in was astounding.
Old 4 Aug 15, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

We had breakfast in our room again and decided we'd head to Wet and Wild.
I'd loved it there as a teen so was really looking forward to it.
It's quite run down isn't it?
The first locker key we were given was for one with the door hanging off its hinges. Does nobody check these things?

I found these lockers amusing.
Not really ideal for a water park!

(Yes, I know they're just for phones but it made me laugh!)

We made our way round the park and did everything we wanted to. It's a shame the knee skiing had shut. That was always my favourite thing there.

Anyway before we left we tried to order some waffle ice creams and had a frankly bizarre experience. I did wonder if we were part of an Impractical jokers show at one point.
Corn dogs kept being thrust at us through the window (there was nobody else waiting or buying anything so who the corn dogs were for I have no idea?!
Well we ended up asking for a refund after about 15 minutes of waiting in a confused state! "Corn dog?"
"Corn dog?"
"Corn dog?"

This went on for some time!

Refunding us was more than they could cope with too. Weird, just weird.

So having not had the ice creams we'd requested we decided to try Hash House a Go Go.
We had an Eat and Play card which I think gave 20% off the bill.

We shared the chicken and waffles, a spinach salad and some fries between 3 and were still defeated!

Defeated!

We thought this was quite good (not as good as the chicken and waffles at Red's though) but it is an obscene amount of food and all joking aside, it's a bit off putting. The salad dressing was quite unpleasant. It had split and was warm.
Next time I'd like to try breakfast instead.
We think we headed to Universal after this for a last whizz round on a few rides.

It was quite late when we left.
We decided to just see what was near the hotel. We drove into Olive Garden (never been before) in the hope we might just be able to take something away but it was shut.
Some lairy Brits started swearing at us because our headlights interrupted their 'intimate activity' in the car park. Classy!
She was foul mouthed and a right state. Embarrassing!

(She was in some bizarre get up. I think she'd fashioned a skirt from her grandmother's net curtains and forgotten her knickers too!)

Anyhoo that was that so we stopped in Walgreens for some weird bread, ropey ham and plastic cheese.
Mmmmm, manky bed picnic!

And that was another day done

Edited at 11:11 AM.
Old 4 Aug 15, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by gettingthere View Post
Great food report,really enjoyed it,.
what is it with American restaurants,huge queue and soooooooo many empty tables whem you go in.have seen this so much over the years,but was totally gobsmacked last year when BOG was running late for dinner,and turning down lots of people,but the amount of empty tables when we got in was astounding.
It is a bit weird isn't it?
I guess maybe they don't have enough staff to cover a particular section?
Or they're just disorganised?!