Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 13 Aug 06, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post

Major Buggy

Hi there
we travel in a couple of weeks time and were hoping to borrow a major buggy for our Ds 11 Jordan who is Autistic and has severe and lately worsening epilepsy
We have borrowed 1 in the past with no probs from our local daycentre
Now they have changed there policy and no longer loan them ,they say you either need 1 on a permanent basis or not at all (utter bull****! ):angry:
I have seen posts saying you can hire wheelchairs in orlando but nothing about the big buggies
Does any 1 know can you hire these and also how much they cost ?
any help much appreciated !
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 06, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
I'm sorry I can't help you but I'm sure someone will answer soon that can. Could you get a major buggy from Social Services then keep it until you need to use it. We have done that with DS2 although he does need to use his wheelchair more and more now.

Caron
Old 13 Aug 06, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post

Hi Caron thanks for getting back
your replies in the past have really helped
im just so frantic at the mo as Jordan is going through a change of meds as the 1 they tried him on -Keppra had horrid side effects and now his epilepsy is worse .All this and i was so worried about travelling anyway and now all this security delay stuff and im at my witts end and am almost dreading going
sorry to rant but am just so full of worry right now x
Old 13 Aug 06, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Originally Posted by Miss Poodles
Hi Caron thanks for getting back
your replies in the past have really helped
im just so frantic at the mo as Jordan is going through a change of meds as the 1 they tried him on -Keppra had horrid side effects and now his epilepsy is worse .All this and i was so worried about travelling anyway and now all this security delay stuff and im at my witts end and am almost dreading going
sorry to rant but am just so full of worry right now x
I can understand exactly how you feel, Joshy had an episode of bad seizures just on the day we were leaving. One of his meds is Keppra but he seems to be OK on it. As long as you have all Jordan's meds with you and emergency ones you should be OK. At least the US has good medical facilities if you need them, I presume you have good medical insurance.

I hope you have a wonderful time and that Jordan soon improves.

PM me if you feel the need for a rant.

Caron
Old 13 Aug 06, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Nordicpollan
Excited about Disney

Hi,
If Social services are unable to help you could try the local Mobility Centre. I know in the past when we have needed to borrow things they have been helpful. You might need to get your GP to refer you, if you are not already in contact with them.

We are due to travel soon and I am trying not to panic too much as we have loads of meds to take with us as well as all DS2 liquid feed! Just DS2 emergency epilepsy meds, PEG, and meds needed during the flight will probabley fill 3 clear bags!

I keep taking deep breaths and am hoping things will have settled a little before we go in September!.

If all else fails would your Son be able to use a wheelchair hired from the Red Cross if you wanted to take it with you?

Karen
Nordicpollan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 06, 11:09 PM  
Link to this Post

thanks for the advice karen x
Old 14 Aug 06, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
keith&carol
Imagineer

keith&carol's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Hi Laura,
Just a thought . DD used to go to a special needs school when she was younger and they had all sorts of spare equipment you could borrow. Do you have one near you?
I don't know if you're flying Virgin but their Special Needs Dept has quite a lot of info on hiring stuff in the USA.
Hope all goes well and you have a magical time,
Carol x
keith&carol is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 06, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Saratoska
VIP Dibber

Saratoska's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
our son has complex needs and rather than take all the equipment we hire over in Orlando from a comany called discountmobility. can sing their praises highly enough. I can give you their email address if you think it might help

Edited at 03:11 PM.
Saratoska is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 06, 10:48 PM  
Link to this Post

Try contacting the companies in the sticky at the top of this forum about hiring equipment in Orlando. If they can't help you (I'm pretty sure at least one hires Major Buggies) they may be able to recommend somewhere else to try. Failing that, would a wheelchair be of any use, that may be easier to come by? You could start by trying the Red Cross who do short term wheelchair loans. You could contact the Occupational Therapy department at your local hospital or Social Work Department as they may have an equipment store.
Old 18 Nov 06, 10:48 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread