Notices
Photo, Video & Vlogs Photography, Video and Vlog discussions

Closed Thread

Old 5 Oct 06, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
rusty30
Imagineer

Just Supposing...

I was thinking about buying a more professional digi cam - what would be the recommendations, and how much would I be looking at for a decent set up?

This is all very much an idea at the moment, but Ive really enjoyed the photo threads and would love to be able to dabble with some decent lenses and equipment. I do own a non digital Canon EOS with a couple of lenses, but they were only cheap Tamron ones. I also found it a bulky piece of kit to lug on holiday (as those pesky kids of mine need so much of my precious bag space for their tat ) - is there such a thing as a more compact professional digi cam?

Ideally I would like something for close up work and another lens with a big zoom .

Hubby would have a fit if he saw this thread (Ive just bought my little Canon Ixus 800! ) but he is always stumped for birthday pressies and this might be just the ticket... He just got a nice big contract for next year today, so I feel its within my wifely duties to help him spend the proceeds!
rusty30 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 06, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
AndyJ
Imagineer

AndyJ's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 16
Canon 400d, Canon 30d, Canon 1ds-mk2

In order of weight! (Oh, and features.)

AndyJ

Advert for Pocket Digitals attached

Canon 1Ds-Mk2 + 17-35mm L Wide-Angle Zoom Lens + 580ex Flash = 2.5kg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dibb_heavy.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	231.1 KB
ID:	7850  

Edited at 10:39 PM.
AndyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 06, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Helen uk
Imagineer

Helen uk's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Weve just bought a Kodak easyshare V610.its black and has brilliant zoom and picture quality.
Not cheap though £300,but we should get some good photos.

2006 Animal Kindgom Lodge
2007 Villa Caribbean Beach Resort and HRH
Helen uk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 06, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post

Why not use your little camera when on holiday to save lugging it and get a nice big camera for your new hobby
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 06, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
rusty30
Imagineer

Originally Posted by stevered1
Why not use your little camera when on holiday to save lugging it and get a nice big camera for your new hobby
I think thats the way to go . DH takes our Kodak P850 which I nick if I want to take something with the big zoom (but it suffers from awful shutter lag, tends to overexpose and will not shoot very well in low light). I found when we went to DLP that I used my little Ixus much more than the Kodak and Im sure it will be the same in Florida.

Ive got a BIG birthday next year so I will hint like mad for one of the DLR Canons I think - Im sure DH can stretch to one of those with a couple of good lenses! Most women would buy a handbag and pair of shoes that would cost more than that eh?
rusty30 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 06, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
AndyJ
Imagineer

AndyJ's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by rusty30
I used my little Ixus much more than the Kodak and Im sure it will be the same in Florida.
Wish I had a wife like you

I've posted some comparisons of the Canon DSLR's in a thread just now.

See if anything takes your fancy =)
AndyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 06, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post

Andy, whats the difference between the Canon Eos-1d Mark II and the 1Ds Mark II? apart from over 2k
Old 6 Oct 06, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
AndyJ
Imagineer

AndyJ's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Megapixels mainly =)
Also the 1d isn't a full frame sensor.

I'd be guessing beyond that, but if your serious about buying one I'll happily help research further.
Old 6 Oct 06, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
AndyJ
Imagineer

AndyJ's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Good thread here about the various options...

photo/bboard/q-and-a-fetc...id=00Bdd2&tag=
Old 6 Oct 06, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post

Thanks for that Andy, thats made it alot clearer. At the moment I am just thinking whats the best route, carry on with current camera and concentrate on my skills or upgrade to allow my shots to improve due to better camera... and then what camera vs budget.
Closed Thread