Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 3 Sep 07, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post

Visually Impaired Advice Needed

My Son is visually impaired and is very interested in seeing some of the many shows at the disney parks, is there any way to pre-book front row seating at the shows so that he can at least see the shapes and colours of the people on stage ?
Hope someone out there can offer some advice as this will be our first trip to disney and I would really like to have him enjoy every part of it.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 07, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post

hi there im not to sure on this suject but i would of thought that if you told a CM of your sistuation that there would not be a problem but there will probably be someone along soon who can offer you some better help

kel x
Old 3 Sep 07, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post

yes there is help for your son without the need to book

you can obtain a guest assistance card which will allow you to access front seats in shows and assistance at rides etc

you get these card from guest assistance and they will also give you a guide book which has symbols on to explain help available at each ride and attraction

be sure to turn up early for shows and show the nearest cast member your assistance card (a quiet word with the cast member at the door mentioning the sight difficulties and request a front row seat)

they are extremely helpful and understanding, there is also a roped off area for parade whichs show a wheelcahir symbol but they will allow you a space in here if you show your card and again have a quiet word

i must warn you though people visiting the park can often be rude and sometimes stare when the disability is non apparant, my children have autism and because they cannot see the autism you do get the odd occasional look

i've learn't to become hard and just stare back reminding myself that i would give ANYTHING for my children to be on the other side of the lines with all the other "normal" children and parents who don't have to deal with disabilty every day of their lives

remember this won't you if you do get the odd look
Old 3 Sep 07, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post

forgot to add if you contact wdw via email i'm certain you can request a copy of the guide books for people with disabilites and they will post them out for you

i'm sure it will help to plan your trip, it's going to be a wonderful one, once you've visited i'm sure you'll be aching to go back
Old 3 Sep 07, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

This may help http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/show...hlight=hearing

Do go and get the GAC and ignore the stares as Mazz says I stare back they soon get the message.
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 07, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post

that's a great link Trish i'm sure Cozy will be very assured after reading it

can i also urge parents whose children have non apparant disabilities to support each other in queues, after all if we all stare at them back it'll shame them

whilst waiting to enter the narnia attraction i spotted a young man who to me, seeing his behaviour it was very obvious he had autism, he was stared at constantly by a chinese couple, giggling and pointing at him :angry: his parents couldn't see this as the couple were behind them, but i did and i was not happy about it at all so i leaned forward and told them very politety that it's extremely rude to stare and point i think they got the message they looked very
Old 3 Sep 07, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
lausan
VIP Dibber

lausan's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 4
Guidebook Photos: 47
go to Guest services upon arrival into park and explain you will get an assitance card for your stay to use in all Disney parks
Old 3 Sep 07, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post

Thanks

Thanks everyone for all the good advice.
I am very grateful and a greatly relieved that there is some assistance available.

As to the rude behaviour of some people towards those with disabilities, I have to agree with mazz wholeheartedly in that the best way I have found to deal with the staring is to stare right back at them, if they are close enough I simply ask them if they would like me to explain my son's disabilities to them in order that they may understand better and then they would perhaps not feel it necessary to stare in the future.

Once again thanks folks
Old 3 Sep 07, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post

Go to Guest Relations at the first park you visit and explain your son's needs. They will issue you with a GAC (Guest Assistance Card) which will allow CMs to assist you in the most appropriate way including reserving front row seats at shows. The Disney version is valid for your whole stay. At Universal it is called a GAP (Guest Assistance Pass) and needs to be renewed each day you visit.

If your son reads braille then you can ask for park information in this format at Disney and Universal.
Old 22 Sep 07, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post

My DD is also visually impaired,
so if you are planning a trip to Busch gardens, may I recommend the Katonga show there.
At one point in the show there is a water cascade in front of the stage, and in another multicoloured illuminous paper butteflies are realised under a UV light so that they glow as they fall.
I know that my DD got a lot from this.
Plus all the singing is great too!
Closed Thread