Notices

Old 20 Jun 09, 12:59 AM  
Link to this Post

Thumbs up The Taylor's 1st time trippie ~ pre trippie

hello to everyone

Cast

Our cast, as it always has been is very small. It is just ~

Me: Karen ~ 36 ~ mum, chief planner, organiser and pays for everything LOL but feeling a tad excited about this trip our first ever to the US and indeed Orlando

My son: Bradley ~ 8 ~ but going on 14 ~ obsessive football player and avid watcher, who at the moment is just glad we will make it back for the start of the football season so we can take up our season tickets and get to see the Carling cup final at Wemley on the 9th August but glad we are going somewhere he can play mini golf, something sadly lacking in Turkey LOL

Background about us

It is, just the two of us. As it has always been since my son was 18 months and I first started travelling abroad with him. A trip to Disney hasn't really ever been on our plans, but we have travelled to places such as the Dom Rep, through to Cyprus, Greek Islands, Ibiza, Turkey, France. We have been to DLP altho it was only 3 years ago, he doesn't remember it.

I treasure these moments that we have away from the hussle and bussle of daily life. The time we get to spend together away from work, school and the incredibly intense training schedule that my son has with his football. Even at a young age he already plays at a high level and it involves a lot of travelling for training and games. So, this time is our precious time. I am self employed and it can be hard to get a break away from work, but our holidays are definitely that time.

This year has been an incredibly difficult one. I lost my dearly loved mum at the end of April. It is something that I struggle to believe. As such, because of her being ill during the early months of the year, we never made any plans for our holiday or our trip away. We have been to Turkey the past couple of years as our main holiday and I have totally fallen in love with the place.

However, on looking at the resort we wanted to, the prices were just beyond anything I could really afford. I have always had to pay adult prices for my son, which in AI or FB can be incredibly expensive. He is one of life's fussy eaters so it never is good value.

I was searching the internet when I came across an incredibly good value deal for Orlando. Without tickets its cost me £188 per person per week . . .

And it was seeing that deal and subsequently booking it only about 8 days ago, that brings me to here . . .about 18 months ago, we as a whole family, including my mum, were talking about all going to Orlando and staying at the AKL, at the time we couldn't afford it, and even during the months when mum was terminally ill, she talked about the holiday she had there when my brother was 13 and I was 29, I didnt go as my son was tiny. But, it was the place that we never got to go to with her . . .and yet I never thought I would, but now it is booked it feels "right" to be going there even at such a difficult and raw time.

So, this background . . . it brings me to having the shortest countdown I have EVER had for a holiday and yet it is one which is taking the most organising and planning And although I am sad I am not returning to the most wonderful place on holiday, I am hoping that this holiday is going to be the experience I imagine AND more . . .

Booked 8 days ago . .

We fly out on July 16th from Gatwick, for 21 nights, staying at the QII on International Drive.

We have 21 Ultimate Disney tickets, 14 day Universal tickets, so we will be visiting each of the parks and also
~ shopping
~ going to Kennedy/Gatorland
~ visiting the beach for a couple of days

I am also hoping to meet an online friend that I met via a forum some 7 years ago. She lives in Florida, and although we have never met or spoken on the phone, we are hoping to have a get together and a chance to have all of the virtual hugs we have shared in real life. PLus she wants to take me shopping

Detail

ESTA completed
Holiday booked and paid for
Disney/Flex tickets arrived
Kids Eat Free card ordered
fairfx card arrived (awaiting arrival of spare)
LOTS of info gathered from here
Orlando guides ordered and arriving
reading, checking out, planning and posting its been a wonderful site here which has helped incredibly
Have booked some ADR's

to do
book car hire
trying to get trip to DC sorted
finish my DIBB planner
sort currency
last minute shopping
buy some new shoes!
pack!

ENJOY!

Edited at 01:06 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 09, 06:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Lesley_Perschky
Imagineer

Lesley_Perschky's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Hope you have a great trip!

DH John meeting Alice at the Grand Floridian Character Brekfast 2007.
Lesley_Perschky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 09, 06:51 AM  
Link to this Post
princess lil
Imagineer

princess lil's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I hope you and Bradley have a magical time you deserve it , sorry about the sad loss of your mum
Old 20 Jun 09, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post

Sad to hear about your Mum, but I'm sure you'll have the most magical time ever! And what a fab countdown!
Old 20 Jun 09, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post

Hope you both have a great time.
Old 20 Jun 09, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post

hi there, we have just lost our mum in law after a really long illness (11 years!) so this will be our 1st trip not worrying about her. It leaves a mixture of feelings but i am sure your mum will be watching you and would want you to have a great time! We too love turkey but florida is in a whole different league! we will be there at the same time as you for a few days-have a wonderful time.
Old 20 Jun 09, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post

i hope you and your son have a lovely trip!
Old 20 Jun 09, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Have A great time
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 09, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Tink2010
Very Serious Dibber

I am sorry to hear of your loss, I hope you bring back lots of happy memories on your fantastic holiday. xx

2002 - Best Western, 2003 - Friend's Villa, 2006 - DLP New York Hotel, 2008 - DLP - D'land Hotel, 2010 - Bahama Bay, 2012 - Bahama Bay, 2015 - The Shire at West Haven,
2019 - The Shire at West Haven
Tink2010 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 09, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
voddygirl
Imagineer

Sounds like a well deserved holiday ...im sure you and Bradley will have a brill 3 weeks

Sept 1992 and 1996-Travelodge Maingate East
Sept 1997-Econolodge Hawaiin West
April 2004-Travelodge Maingate East
Sept 2006-Quality Inn Plaza
Oct 2008-Southern Dunes-Dibb villa
Jan 2010-The Dolphin & HRH-My 40th & Sept 2nd trip
Dec 2012 The Retreat Legacy Park -Dibb villa
March 2017 HRH Chicago
Sep 2017 The Retreat Legacy Park-Dibb villa
March 2018 Avanti Resort & HRH Daytona
voddygirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List