Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Closed Thread

Old 20 Jul 05, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post

Question Which parks in California

Which parks would you suggest at California for a 37 year old and a 5 year old not keen on wild rides, not confident in water but would like to try a water park, loves characters and character dining?

I am vaguely toying with the idea of California as opposed to Florida for next Easter?

Joanne
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 05, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post

Disneyland and California Adventure are great then theres Knotts Berry farm which is based on Snoopy and they have a water park but we have never been there and then theres Universal Hollywood which i think is a must for all kids, big and small, I love it there.
Then you can go to San Diego and do Seaworld.
Love Rio
Old 20 Jul 05, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post

I have been trying to work out the difference between Disneyland and California Adventure is there a comparison with the Florida parks?
Old 21 Jul 05, 05:56 AM  
Link to this Post
lesliejohn
slightly serious Dibber

heh joanne,
the parks at california are imho smaller but still very good, for instance the castle at florida is pretty big, the one in california is maybe half the size.
and sea world in san diego is also very good.
les...
Old 21 Jul 05, 07:43 AM  
Link to this Post

we dont mind small, after all we don't spend a great deal of time outside of fantasyland anyway, but do they have lots of characters?
Old 21 Jul 05, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
panpant
Apprentice Imagineer

I certainly recommend Knotts Berry Farm, I went there back in 1994 and thought it was pretty cool, I do remember panning for gold and finding some!

Universal was pretty good too, it's set on 2 levels and has a backdraft attraction, in a similar vein to Twister at Universal Florida.

Disney was excellent too and there is aslo Six Flags Magic Mountain but that's more thrill ride based.

Greg

Here's to you Pops...
panpant is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 05, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
lesliejohn
slightly serious Dibber

hi joanne ,
if memory serves there are a lot of characters about for piccys autographs etc..
les...
Old 21 Jul 05, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post

Hello Joanne,
Disneyland in Anaheim is pretty similar to MK in orlando but occupies a smaller area, it has all the favorites + a couple of extras like indianna Jones & the mattahorn.
California adventure is a bit smaller than DL & has amoungst others , 1 coaster, Soaring (brilliant) a good water ride, millionair , a carousel ride in an orange, and coming soon Tower of terror.
The area around disney land is urban sprall as you are slap in the middle of Orange county, there are a few restaurants in the Disney walk area but not a lot outside.
Knottsberry farm is mainly coasters , there is 1 flume ride & a camp snoopy kids area. again this is set in an urban area.
There is Universal of course but that is in LA as opposed to OC and about an hours drive away. There are lots of studios that open their doors for tours like NBC & Warner Bros. Venice beach is worth a visit and so are the Brea Tar pits. Driving South on I5 you have Lego land at Carlsbad, San Diego Wildlife park at Escondido & sea World in San Diego & the world famous San Diego zoo.
Lots to do, a lovely area.
Graham
Old 21 Jul 05, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post

So would you say you need a car or can you do it on public transport?
Old 21 Jul 05, 06:43 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggersbestmate
Apprentice Imagineer

San Diego Zoo and the Wild Animal Park are a must do! Brilliant, especially with a 5 year old.
We went to Knottsbery Farm but were a bit dissapointed - quite a good day out but nothing special.