Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 7 Jul 19, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Its not the dogs it’s the owners! Either let off the lead or on one of those retractable leashes.
I go running and the amount of time a dog has ran up up me, jumped up at me etc is outrageous. Those wires on the leashes are a trip hazard! Owners are too busy chatting to see their dogs wrapped around peoples legs. I have had bad marks round my legs were a dog as run up to me, round me whilst on a leash.
One staff (I love staffs by the way) jumped up at my son and knocked him on his bottom and its claws scratched all down his tummy.
I am a dog owner and she is tiny but I still do not allow her to to other people and we never let her jump up at people. Not everyone loves dogs.
We live very close to our local park. It’s large with a pound, cafe, rose gardens, fountain etc just one area that states that dogs must be on the lead and that’s in the gated children’s area. The amount of owners who allow their dogs to run around in there is so frustrating 😡 the signs are huge and also clear pictures in case people can’t read.
And don’t get me stated on people not picking up poop! I spend my runs looking at the floor avoiding dog poop!
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 19, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
shauney
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
Its not the dogs it’s the owners! Either let off the lead or on one of those retractable leashes.
Oh don't get me started on retractable leashes. The number of times there's an airhead tottering along staring at her phone while her yapping thing is on the end of it's lead going off its head at my Sonny is ridiculous. Yet if it attacked him and he picked it up and gave it a good shake who's fault would it be?
shauney is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 19, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Button17
Imagineer

Mobile

I'm scared of dogs and hate them near me. I had a bad experience as a child. So many dog owners think you're mad when you back away or turn away. I don't give a damn if he's friendly or not. I wouldn't let my child drool or lick you, so why should you let your dog do it to me.

If one bit/nipped me I'd be taking a photo of dog and owner and going to the police. They may be ankle or knee level to me but face/arm level to a child.

And take a deep breath.

Lots of lovely, responsible, well behaved dog owners out there I know but so many think their dogs can do no wrong .
Button17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 19, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
penguin19
Imagineer

penguin19's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

I have a dog (only a small Pomeranian) she is the sweetest thing. Loves humans and enjoys an interaction with other dogs. She is excellently trained, great recall and generally very well behaved, however.. I never let her off the lead, we have a retractable one and I feel this allows her that little extra freedom whilst I still know exactly where she is and what she is doing. If I see people I always look their reaction some quite clearly want to come say hello.. others just put their head down and walk. She comes right back to me and walks by my side away from the person. Not everyone likes dogs.

We keep her always on a lead for 3 reasons..
1. Yes she is a very well behaved dog etc etc but also a dog, she could have a nutty moment at any time!
We
2. Other dogs. I have no idea what your dog is like. It may be 'friendly' but that's just your word. Not worth risking my dog for that.
3. Other people.. she's a small dog and easy to just pick up and nick. May sound silly and unlikely but could happen.

However.. what this leads to is at least 1 person a week saying to me.. "wow why dont you let you dog off? Have you not trained it ? Does it not know recall ? It's so unfair for the dog.. they should be free to run around the park.. it's a safe park (we walk her in a huge park / field )

We ever once had a woman goading us for a good 5 minutes to let her off the lead so she could run around with the 3 other dogs and be 'happy' and 'free' and 'enjoy' her walk. At one point I thought she would remove the lead myself.

So I'm not surprised people feel like this about dogs when as an owner myself I am harrased for keeping my dog on a lead.. many people have it in their head the only way to properly exercise a dog and for it to enjoy its life is off lead

DCL - 19,21,21,22,23,23
penguin19 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 19, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by shauney View Post
Wouldn't dream of having mine off lead where people are about.

If people want to come up to him and say hello and give him a fuss they're more than welcome (provided they ask permission first) but i'd never allow him to just approach anybody. You have no way of knowing if they have dog phobias or just plain dislike them. Oh, and he's not exactly small...

He is beautiful.
Old 7 Jul 19, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
TC Devon
Imagineer

I like dogs but my daughter is terrified of them after an incident with a large dog off of the lead that bounded up to her and sent her flying with his paws on her shoulders. Owner going it’s ok he is friendly, he just wants to play. Prior to this she had no issues. It now rules our lives/day trips. Especially scared if the dog is off of a lead and so many are now. Trips to the park or even walking to martial arts class on the cycle track is very fraught. She will run, scream and bolt to avoid any dog- twice she’s run into a road so we have to be very cautious and on guard.

I’m considering hypnotherapy.
TC Devon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 19, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

I always walk my dogs on leads because one of them is nervous of other dogs. I have lost count of the number of times that other dogs have run up to us and then proceeded to growl and have a go at my dogs. Owners say it’s because my dogs are on leads and their dogs don’t like that. It makes me really nervous to walk them anywhere where I know dogs will be loose.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 19, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

Originally Posted by shauney View Post
Wouldn't dream of having mine off lead where people are about.

If people want to come up to him and say hello and give him a fuss they're more than welcome (provided they ask permission first) but i'd never allow him to just approach anybody. You have no way of knowing if they have dog phobias or just plain dislike them. Oh, and he's not exactly small...

Gorgeous!
aqualiv is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 19, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
vowels
Imagineer

Originally Posted by TC Devon View Post
I like dogs but my daughter is terrified of them after an incident with a large dog off of the lead that bounded up to her and sent her flying with his paws on her shoulders. Owner going it’s ok he is friendly, he just wants to play. Prior to this she had no issues. It now rules our lives/day trips. Especially scared if the dog is off of a lead and so many are now. Trips to the park or even walking to martial arts class on the cycle track is very fraught. She will run, scream and bolt to avoid any dog- twice she’s run into a road so we have to be very cautious and on guard.

Poor lamb. ❤
vowels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 19, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Joshie1
Imagineer

Joshie1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by TC Devon View Post

I have a friend who is a part time dog trainer. A mutual friend’s daughter was absolutely terrified of dogs and our dog trainer friend helped her over come her absolute terror by introducing her gradually to her own dogs over a period of weeks.
The daughter still wouldn’t be a fan of dogs but can walk on the same side of the road as one now without having a complete meltdown.
Maybe there is someone similar in your area who could help your daughter.
Joshie1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List