Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 18 Aug 16, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

Schoolboy error...

You would have thought, that after 26 years and countless times going to the USA I would not have made such a fundamental mistake, but yep, I did.

Very busy at work (Launching a new car into production on Monday) long days, so yesterday I thought, hmm, better get a few USD cash for tipping etc. Tesco online came out well, $1.27, so I thought yep, I will have some of that, only to find I had left it too late, as they couldn't be available until Friday Afternoon in store (we go to the airport tomorrow lunchtime), same for the other good rate shops.
No Thomas cook available i89n the hours I am working, so I reluctantly looked at the Post office, Online rate very good too, but only for £1,000 upwards.
OK, into the local post office, rate shown $1.30, so not the best, but, well, choice was not available
Got my USD cash $250, but the cost was £210...huh? surely shome mishtake Post office chappie says I, should be £192.
"oh no " says Post Office chappie, "That's for £500 upwards!"

so, my lack of forward planning and time meant my USD in cash was bought at a rate of $1.19!

Don't be a fool like me and not cover your basis! Get any cash early, yes I have a revolute cars and Fair FX card, but wanted some actual money to use on airport Red caps etc.. Prize Plum as the advert says.

This car better sell in Thousands!
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 16, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Yep, I made this mistake as well today, except I didn't work it out. I'm going back tomorrow to see if I can resolve this with them. Completely ridiculous to believe a well known brand can trick you like this.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 16, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Unforgiven
Imagineer

Oh, if you're talking mistakes I can beat that, I dropped a Budget rental car off at the Dollar rental car return area 2 days ago.

That was embarrassing

Unforgiven is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 16, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
Oh, if you're talking mistakes I can beat that, I dropped a Budget rental car off at the Dollar rental car return area 2 days ago.

That was embarrassing
Unforgiven, please forgive me, but I've just laughed my back off here Oh man!
ChrisS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 16, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post

That was embarrassing
We got back today and got on the wrong car park bus at Gatwick. It was only when we were the last ones left on the bus after the driver took us on the tour of the long stay car park did we realise that it was the wrong bus. Premier Inn room and 15 days parking is called Summer Special, you needbus stop 2 and we did get on a bus at bus stop 2 but it was a big huge bendy bus which was actually parked in bus stop 1 but was so long the back end was in bus stop 2. We felt stupid and it wasted 40 mins of our time. Oh well blame jet lag!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 16, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Unforgiven
Imagineer

Originally Posted by aitchieaitchie View Post
We got back today and got on the wrong car park bus at Gatwick. It was only when we were the last ones left on the bus after the driver took us on the tour of the long stay car park did we realise that it was the wrong bus. Premier Inn room and 15 days parking is called Summer Special, you needbus stop 2 and we did get on a bus at bus stop 2 but it was a big huge bendy bus which was actually parked in bus stop 1 but was so long the back end was in bus stop 2. We felt stupid and it wasted 40 mins of our time. Oh well blame jet lag!
Were you on VS50 or VS28? What a kerfuffle that was.

Unforgiven is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 16, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Unforgiven
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Unforgiven, please forgive me, but I've just laughed my back off here Oh man!
Its actually a little worse than that, I actually had to then collect a different car from Dollar for the last 2 days so had to go back red-faced 10 minutes later

Old 18 Aug 16, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Its actually a little worse than that, I actually had to then collect a different car from Dollar for the last 2 days so had to go back red-faced 10 minutes later
This is like a comedy skit... what a hoot!
ChrisS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 16, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

A couple of years ago Mr Impatient leapt off the monorail and said see you at car hire I'll get ahead of the queue. I toddled along with my very large suitcase and hand luggage across the concourse, down the escalator to the car hire desk - no sign! I hung about a while thinking he was probably in the loo, then finally got into the queue for the car myself. When I gave my name in the very helpful person said he was at collection point B and I was at A. To get there I had to go up the escalator all the way across the concourse past the monorail again and down the escalators to B. By the time I got there my name was being tannoyed round the airport. I was not a happy bunny I can tell you. And then we got lost coming off the airport because of course B is the other side if the airport to A. Talk about more haste less speed!
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 16, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post
teerts
Excited about Disney

Similar thing happened to us, we landed in San Francisco and at immigration I left DW to get the cases sorted, when she approached the immigration desk she was promptly turned away and told to complete the white form, once she was finally let through we rushed out the airport to realise, 10 miles down the road, one of our party had left their ski boots in a bag on the carousel.

Don't know what sort of security incident we caused, we didn't dare return.
Closed Thread