Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 5 Feb 17, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Norris1969
Gone all Goofy

Avis/BA Car Hire Upgrade

We booked a BA flight + car for July 17 and I've been looking to upgrade our Grade F SUV to a Grade Z SUV (Chevy Tahoe). BA are quoting us £895 + £25 admin fee to upgrade, however I downloaded the Avis app and loaded on our booking and they are looking for £365 to upgrade. Question is, am I able to upgrade direct with Avis when we booked through BA and how will those upgrade details transfer to my BA booking? I'm guessing (hoping) that I can pay Avis direct for the upgrade and then I'd use my original BA/Avis booking voucher to pay off the balance when we pick the car up?
Norris1969 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 17, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

You should be fine. Wouldn't be very different a situation than you upgrading on collection. The voucher covers the cost of the car but also has a cash value on it. In our case we prepayed our fuel which should have been around $40 but as the exchange rate had changed we only paid around 15, the value on the voucher took care of the rest.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 17, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Princessjo
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by Norris1969 View Post
We booked a BA flight + car for July 17 and I've been looking to upgrade our Grade F SUV to a Grade Z SUV (Chevy Tahoe). BA are quoting us £895 + £25 admin fee to upgrade, however I downloaded the Avis app and loaded on our booking and they are looking for £365 to upgrade. Question is, am I able to upgrade direct with Avis when we booked through BA and how will those upgrade details transfer to my BA booking? I'm guessing (hoping) that I can pay Avis direct for the upgrade and then I'd use my original BA/Avis booking voucher to pay off the balance when we pick the car up?
hi

how did you add your booing to the avis app? we really want to upgrade our car too so would be interested if a cheaper way than direct
Old 7 Mar 17, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Norris1969
Gone all Goofy

Originally Posted by Princessjo View Post
hi

how did you add your booing to the avis app? we really want to upgrade our car too so would be interested if a cheaper way than direct
If you go to 'Manage my Booking' on the BA website and then (once you've logged in) scroll down until you see your car hire (after my flights on my page) expand the car hire (+) then press the button that shows your car hire voucher. On the page that opens up you'll see another number (different to your BA booking reference) and it's that number (mine had a GB within it if that helps) that the Avis App will recognise. However you can't pay for the upgrade through the App as it asks you to the full amount of the upgrade car, therefore I emailed Avis to ask why I couldn't just pay the balance, they emailed back to explain that they are not paid by BA until the end of your car hire therefore their system will look for the full amount as it doesn't recognise what we've paid BA yet. BA's upgrade prices when I phoned were mental. I'm going to take my chances and either upgrade at the airport or have a look at what's available in the free swap row.
Norris1969 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 17, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
bLaZeR666_uk
Master Dibber

bLaZeR666_uk's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 22
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I always get the fiesta size car then either go to avisba and upgrade to a larger car or directly at the airport:

This year we hired a fiesta type car (Group A) with our flights for 3 weeks. I then called avis ba and got a upgrade to a Group G car for $120 (Dollars)

I called BA Holidays and they wanted over £300 for the same upgrade.

Go figure...!
Old 9 Mar 17, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Princessjo
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by bLaZeR666_uk View Post
I always get the fiesta size car then either go to avisba and upgrade to a larger car or directly at the airport:

This year we hired a fiesta type car (Group A) with our flights for 3 weeks. I then called avis ba and got a upgrade to a Group G car for $120 (Dollars)

I called BA Holidays and they wanted over £300 for the same upgrade.

Go figure...!
this fills me with joy! THANKS HAHA!
Old 9 Mar 17, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post

I have logged into this site and have a couple of questions

When I load the booking it says booking cost £267, I then click modify booking and it shows current booking Premium with a rental price of £219.

It then has an option to modify booking. If I do this its reducing the price of the voucher, Is there any further charges added on and as I have paid BA in full, we go next week, the voucher I have from BA is for £267 what happends to this difference in price?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 17, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
bernard301
slightly serious Dibber

its a risk, but if you are an Avis Preferred member you maybe able to get a bargain from the upgrade line in the parkign garage at MCO on arrival
bernard301 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 17, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
MOONCHESTER
Very Serious Dibber

MOONCHESTER's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I looked at upgrading like the OP too yesterday, so it's not possible to hit the upgrade button on the avis app as it wants all the money and does not take into account the voucher?
Last year I upgraded at the airport but really want to go straight to car. I will not be paying BA for their upgrade prices though.
MOONCHESTER is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 17, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Norris1969
Gone all Goofy

Originally Posted by MOONCHESTER View Post
I looked at upgrading like the OP too yesterday, so it's not possible to hit the upgrade button on the avis app as it wants all the money and does not take into account the voucher?
Last year I upgraded at the airport but really want to go straight to car. I will not be paying BA for their upgrade prices though.
The BA upgrade prices are crazy when you know how much Avis are really looking for to make the upgrade. I was prepared to spend the £365 Avis were looking for the upgrade but not the £895 that BA were asking so will budget $400 and see what that will get me when I get to the garage (assuming that there is nothing in the free swap line that takes my fancy).