Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Oct 19, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by neilhd View Post
Cheek of it - coming on here and asking for free advice!
Old 16 Oct 19, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
As some will know, I'm a lawyer. A few times I've given very basic, generic advice in response to posts on here and occasionally I do the same for close friends. I don't advertise being a lawyer in my personal life - I use my married name personally and my maiden name professionally, so only those in my circle of friends and family know what I do.

Hubby and I are in a running group. We run with different people though, as he's much faster than me. He has had a Facebook message from a chap he sometimes runs with this afternoon, saying he needs to speak to "your missus" cos he needs some legal advice and asking if he can phone me this evening

I've seen this person a couple of times but never spoken to him. I genuinely cannot believe the cheek of someone who has never spoken to me disturbing us on a Sunday afternoon so I can do them a favour for free? Puts my husband in an awkward position as well, as I've said no, he can clear off.

I don't know if I'm being unreasonable, but I'm absolutely raging and I had to let it out somewhere!
I dont think you are being unreasonable at all. They are taking the proverbial but I do get your reaction!

Tell them they can have 15 minutes free but then after that it's at <insert rate here>

Good luck !
Old 16 Oct 19, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
captain-codeye
Imagineer

captain-codeye's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I think you should have a change of career and move into social media pr

9 pages so far!

Best “did you know I’m a lawyer post ever”
captain-codeye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

I got so bored with friends / strangers ask me to do IT stuff for them I told people I was gynaecologist which is fine until one time I found myself in the maternity ward of the local hospital.
Old 16 Oct 19, 10:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Irishlass
Apprentice Imagineer

My sister is a solicitor and never gets annoyed when someone asks for advice. As she says you never know when she, or any of her family will need advice or help.

Her husband is a self employed builder, and one of his customers asked if she would give him some advice he asked her, she said yes syed speak to him... turned out he and his wife had had some bad news and they wanted advice on how to go about making a will and plans to arrange power of attorney etc.
She called round to the house, talked him through it, then they arranged a suitable time for them and their son and daughter to come down to the office.
Not long after the lady died and they all have become good friends now.
My sister never complains about being asked for advice, if it's something complicated she'll tell them to make an appointment and call down to the office,especially if shes busy. If its something she doesn't do in work she'll point them in the direction of a solicitor etc.
My cousin is a barrister and has a similar attitude to my sister.

Me personally I would ask gge man what he needs advice on. For all you know he needs advise on whether you can help with his problem, or he needs you to recommend a firm to help him.

Just because he said he needs advice from you doesn't mean he is expecting a freebie.

I myself phoned a man yesterday and said I need him to come out and have a look at my laptop. I got his number from an advertisement in the local paper. I'm not expecting a freebie, I'm more than happy to pay him, infact if he can fix it there and then he'll get paid more than quoted lol.

Just because people say we need something, be it from a friend or a stranger, it's a figure of speech, not literally a freebie.

Edited at 10:24 PM.
Irishlass is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 12:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
As a gynaecologist can I just say now that I am dissapointed.
Dinglebert is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 19, 12:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Stitchesmumanddad
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Irishlass View Post
My sister is a solicitor and never gets annoyed when someone asks for advice. As she says you never know when she, or any of her family will need advice or help.

Her husband is a self employed builder, and one of his customers asked if she would give him some advice he asked her, she said yes syed speak to him... turned out he and his wife had had some bad news and they wanted advice on how to go about making a will and plans to arrange power of attorney etc.
She called round to the house, talked him through it, then they arranged a suitable time for them and their son and daughter to come down to the office.
Not long after the lady died and they all have become good friends now.
My sister never complains about being asked for advice, if it's something complicated she'll tell them to make an appointment and call down to the office,especially if shes busy. If its something she doesn't do in work she'll point them in the direction of a solicitor etc.
My cousin is a barrister and has a similar attitude to my sister.

Me personally I would ask gge man what he needs advice on. For all you know he needs advise on whether you can help with his problem, or he needs you to recommend a firm to help him.

Just because he said he needs advice from you doesn't mean he is expecting a freebie.

I myself phoned a man yesterday and said I need him to come out and have a look at my laptop. I got his number from an advertisement in the local paper. I'm not expecting a freebie, I'm more than happy to pay him, infact if he can fix it there and then he'll get paid more than quoted lol.

Just because people say we need something, be it from a friend or a stranger, it's a figure of speech, not literally a freebie.
Good for her. I am guessing she is newly qualified. After 27 years post qual the novelty soon wears off !
Old 18 Oct 19, 05:39 AM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Stitchesmumanddad View Post
Good for her. I am guessing she is newly qualified. After 27 years post qual the novelty soon wears off !
I’m only 3 years and the novelty has worn off

For me, the fact I might need help in the future isn’t a good enough reason to give advice to randoms or to accept being disturbed on a Sunday afternoon. If I need something, I’ll pay my way, or at least offer to.

My FIL fitted our front door, that’s his job, and I was there with the cheque book when he was packing up. He told me not to be daft and wouldn’t take anything, which is his prerogative, but even for someone I’m so close to I didn’t expect him to do his job for nothing. Might sound silly, but it’s something my parents instilled in me, that you don’t expect something for nothing.
Old 18 Oct 19, 07:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Morganza
slightly serious Dibber

Yep - not just lawyers and at least lawyers have the get out they need to be formally engaged before providing advice. It's nice to be nice, a 10 minute phone call isn't too arduous? Annoying, but not rage inducing.

Spare a thought for doctors, nurses, physios, planning department workers, architects, business advisers, accountants... endless list really.
Morganza is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 19, 08:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

I can totally understand your reasons and why its annoyed you skalexander.

I am a nurse and get asked advice on a daily basis 🙄 which I give advice on to my limitations or direct people to their gp/chemist.

What really gets my blood boiling is this. I own a holiday home management business and often get asked to view a property and give a quote. some owners then decide to get a cash in hand cleaner and then...

When they need a tradesperson call me asking if I can arrange it or call to say there cleaner is away on holiday asking me to cover the changeover 😡🤬😳🙄

Honestly some people 😡

Edited to say... they want me to arrange tradesperson etc for free and do the changeover and laundry at the same price as Mrs mop is taking.

Edited at 08:34 AM.
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List