Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Jun 20, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by *source* View Post
Has he had halls confirmed? My daughter is going to Glasgow but no halls confirmed as yet x
No, nothing on halls confirmed.
Son's friend is going to Glasgow, and he hasn't had his halls there confirmed either.
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 20, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
my DD is hoping for Bath... £170-£210 a week depending on allocation.

also paying...

would be ok but other DD going to Swansea this year too... she is private renting with boyfriend though - her half only £300 a month thankfully... I think WE are the ones who will be eating uni food - "beans en tin" with a spork...
This is me too. Paying for a house for son in his Masters year and DD starting in Halls. We will be joining you on rations 🤪
Old 21 Jun 20, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
This is me too. Paying for a house for son in his Masters year and DD starting in Halls. We will be joining you on rations 🤪
Expensive isn't it!
We are looking at forking out for 6 years as student doctors take a long time to train!

Luckily our other son at uni stays at home and commutes in to his uni good lad!
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 20, 12:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Warkman58 View Post
Yep, totally wrong lol.
£144 A WEEK for 40 weeks lol

Wish it was £140 a month as I’m paying it...
Really wish it was per month.

Total rip off really.

My daughter has just finished her 1st year in Lincoln and was roughly £2000 per term. Thankfully the university waived all the last terms accommodation fees regardless if they were staying there during lockdown or going home.

Her 2nd year fees in a house are around £1000 cheaper per year!

Edited at 12:46 AM.
1972 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 20, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
*source*
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Cloverlady View Post
Expensive isn't it!
We are looking at forking out for 6 years as student doctors take a long time to train!

Luckily our other son at uni stays at home and commutes in to his uni good lad!
I hope he likes it. This is what my daughter started doing and got to the end of year one. It wasn't for her. It is hard then as they put so much into getting in in the first place!

Hope he enjoys it
*source* is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 20, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Harper Adams got in touch with DD last Thursday or Friday about accommodation, giving her a link and details to log on and select her accommodation choices. So she's now done that. We'll have to wait and see whether she gets her choice of places to stay.

They also provided some details regarding social distancing whilst there. Rather than call them social bubbles, they call them Harper Herds which we all chuckled at (it's quite apt).

Also, DD applied to the DSA for a grant a while back, she got 'accepted' or approved (or whatever you call it), and so received a new laptop and peripherals on Thursday.

After a few months of nothing happening, things are finally starting to move along.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 20, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by 1972 View Post
Really wish it was per week.

Total rip off really.
Try getting a room only at a basic hotel for £140 a week. It doesn't sound like a rip off. It sounds about the going rate outside London.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 20, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by *source* View Post
I hope he likes it. This is what my daughter started doing and got to the end of year one. It wasn't for her. It is hard then as they put so much into getting in in the first place!

Hope he enjoys it
Thank you. He is looking forward to it , I'm hoping he continues to feel enthusiastic about it, like you say, it's such an effort and an achievement getting in, but who knows what the reality will be like.

The way I see it is, we, as parents, have helped support him to get into a position where he could apply for and be offered places at medical schools - ultimately the rest, as they say, is up to him!

I wish your daughter well in whatever she decided to do going forward!
Old 2 Aug 20, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Any Scots waiting on results this week?

It's just two 'sleeps' until our boy gets his results here in Scotland. He has been keeping busy and not saying much, but I can tell he is thinking about it as it gets so much closer!
(I think his Dad and I are actually more nervous than he is though)

Good luck to others waiting on Scottish results this week - and , for others in other parts of the UK, it won't be long your your turn either!
Old 2 Aug 20, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
*source*
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Cloverlady View Post
Any Scots waiting on results this week?

It's just two 'sleeps' until our boy gets his results here in Scotland. He has been keeping busy and not saying much, but I can tell he is thinking about it as it gets so much closer!
(I think his Dad and I are actually more nervous than he is though)

Good luck to others waiting on Scottish results this week - and , for others in other parts of the UK, it won't be long your your turn either!
Yes! My son! He's not bothered at all! Wish he cared a bit more!
*source* is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List